1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT...Vibrating washing machine

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the load that is spinning is not well balanced, the machine will vibrate. You might be able to find some pliable material to put under the machine to absorb the vibrations.

Pat Ireland

2. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

The laminate flooring is the problem. It is acting as a springboard by its design and not allowing the washer to be stable. Iv'e run into this hundreds of times over the years as a dealer and now as a tech. The answer from the horses mouth, the factorys, is to stiffen the floor by screwing down a ridgid surface such as 1/2" to 3/4" plywood over the flooring. Maybe an option you don't like or are willing to do, but there isn't a whole lot of other options. Maybe taking up the laminate where the washer/dryer sit and putting them on the concrete again. Hope this helps...

3. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Another thought, if it spins OK without a load, and it is level front to back as well as side to side, and the leveling leg locknuts are locked against the bottom of the frame, it sort of confirms that the flooring is the culprit.

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Sit the wife on it and she will love you for it.

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Machine must be bad -- something broken inside . If not , buy a 1 inch thick piece of plywood the size of the washer and put the washer on that before you take up any flooring .

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If it is a new machine you need to remove the shipping bolts, look in the owners manual for the location of them, I personally found this out, machine started jumping and she jumped on top of it, I shut it off and checked instructions, she almost orgasmed onm top of it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Have sold and serviced Maytags for over twenty years. More thoughts on this issue. How old is the unit? When you moved it, did you use a dolly? Was it laid on it's side or back during moving? These answers will give me a better idea of the situation, but I really think, barring anything bad in the moving of said unit, that it is the floor. A quick, and maybe easy check, would be to move it to a concrete floor (garage maybe) and level unit, then spin unit to see how it reacts. I still think, from years of same situations that the floor is the problem. That is the only thing that changed. Without being there, these are my best guestimates. Let us know how you make out.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

We have a Maytag and have the same problem. I have used a level and tried every way I know of to keep the darn thing from vibrating(no luck). I'll never buy another Maytag!!!

9. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Slide...Is your Maytag top or front load? Age?

10. ganger

ganger Member

Slide, don't be too hasty. I have Sears Kenmore and have the same problem.

ganger

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I put down some heavy rubber work pads, came out of a closing resturant. About 1/2 thick very firm and heavy. I would say the 4'x6' section ways about 150lbs or even more. I had a very hard time moving it. They are very anti slip also, even with the detergent.

12. atashooter

atashooter Member

I have a Maytag Model LAT9400 Top Loader, it was a wedding present 15 years ago. It still purrs and does the job. 5 years ago, we moved and after that, it vibrated pretty good. I dis assemled it and found a lint wad on the backside of the preforated drum. Cleaned her all out and she back to purring again. My wife likes poofy towels and fuzzy blankets, so every so often I have to get the fuzzballs out of not only the washer, but I clean out the dryer real good too.

13. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

The "LAT" series of washers are the last of the "tank like" laundry that you will find. Very heavy duty and solid. Worth repairing as look as it is possible. The new washers/dryers today are owned and built by W-Pool and only are Maytags on the label. They are W-Pools, still good units, but not as heavy duty as the old style Maytags. The Maytag Co. no longer exists.

14. atashooter

atashooter Member

Thats a shame. I can tell ya this, mine is tough as a Sherman Tank !!

15. M-16

M-16 TS Member

If you wanted it on the cement note were the legs sit and cut 1-1/2 " holes in the flooring and seal calk them. We,ve had to do this with some other equipment that the custumer wanted the pretty flooring everywhere.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Wife had the same problem. She took a 25# bag of shot and put it on top of the washer. Problem solved.

Don

17. ken a

ken a Member

My wife had this problem with the maytag vibrating and would about come off the floor. The fix was to put the clothes in more evenly. In other words if you had three towels, put one in each 1/3 of the washer. The problem was an unbalanced loads. Works for us!!!

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Maytag, Top loader. I have had two washers on the same floor, gave the older G.E. away and had a Kenmore after that. No problems. Both were very smooth with no vibration. The Maytag has been a problem from day 1. Tried everything especially the balanced load thing. I wouldn't have another Maytag if somebody gave it to me.

19. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

Slide,
    If the washer model No. starts with the letters "MAV" or "PAV", and it is between 1 and 3 years old, it could have a weak base pan. They had a period of time where the base pan, the actual base of the washer, where all of the weight sits, was made of a too thin piece of metal. It allowed the washer to actually pulse when in spin and move on the floor. The cure was to replace the base pan, which has been re-designed being made out of heavier sheet metal and also comes with new heavier duty suspension springs. Check your model...

20. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

check at a machine tool shop or one that sells air compressors. checl tp products in canton ohio. they sell 6 inch square blocks that absorb the noise from an air compressor and work great. they are like a rubber face and cork or something inthe middle. look like a large waffle--no maple syrup. motordoc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.