1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ot/ value of 788 remington

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My friend asked me if I knew the value of a used, but well cared for remington model 788 in 22-250 caliber. He said it has a new Tasco 3 X 9 scope the seller said cost him $80. The fellow is asking $350 for the combination. He said he really wants the rifle but fears it is too much. Anyone have any advice? Thanks. Tripod

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If it's worth it to the buyer, it's a good value. They were decent guns and fairly well made. If it's an older Japanese manufactured Tasco, it's probably OK. I've seen just the rifle go for more money. If it makes you feel better, offer a bit less and see what happens. I'd like a slightly more powerful scope for the type of shooting I do with a 22-250, so you could always use something like that for a little leverage.

3. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

The 788 actions are highly prized among bench rest shooters for building custom rifles on - it was one of the most accurate actions Remington ever made.

I've seen several selling for the $300 plus. Doesn't sound bad to me if you want one.

I have one already.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

In the late 70's you could buy them for $125 with a 4x Weaver on them. In the high fur market they were deemed disposable, if neccessary.

5. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I actually have 3 788 Remingtons. I feel they have average accuracy maybe about like a Mod 700. Not a reloaders dream however, are not able to digest hot loads, bolt handle will stick readily. which could be a good thing as you sure can tell when its time to back off, problem is often it is before you are at advertized velocities. Good carry guns but clubby and heavy. They have a good trigger but the bolt stop can break, other than that I have had no reliability issues. Bought mine in about 1980. Get a model 7 or a Ruger if you can find one and you won't have to worry about a rattling clip or a dropped one.

6. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I have one in .243. Nice enough gun but definitely not high end. I lost a clip once by carrying it with my hand between the trigger guard and the clip. Hand must of moved forward enough to engage the clip release button and I never knew it happened.

Bounght mine in 1976 for around $110.

7. dshot

dshot Member

I picked up one at K-Mart in the 70's for $95.00, the best shooting rifle I have owned for under a $1000.00

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

These guns have a following and regardless of what anybody says they sell for far more then they should given the price point they were built to shoot for. I have a 22-250 and it shoots great and we have a .223 and a 243 in 788's in the family. They all shot far better then they should. That said we bought these guns when they were dirt cheap. I would buy a 700 if it were a buying decision in todays market at todays prices. Some guys love the clip element of these guns. Jeff

9. flinter58

flinter58 TS Member

Anyone have a 788 in 30-30 ?

10. Roger IL

Roger IL TS Member

It's worth the asking price with no scope if the condition is good. Most were good shooters, had a fast lock time, and in their day were rebuilt for bench shooters. I don't see many any more, I think their day as a serious bench gun has come and gone. It will make a nice walking varmint gun................Roger

11. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

I've got one in .222 Remington and it's a tack driver. The stocks were plain and the trigger less than excellent.

Re-finished the stock, installed a Timney trigger and it punches the same hole over and over.

Really a fun gun to shoot and very accurate.

Sounds like a decent price to me.

12. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I wouldn't want the scope, especially on this rifle, so to me it's worth around $300. He should handle it and be sure he likes the feel. They do shoot well. To me they're clunky like a Mossberg bolt-action shotgun, with heavy, blocky wood and a not-for-carrying protuding magazine box. For nearly the same money he could get a used Rem 700 without scope, which is what I'd do. I agree it's a fair price, if it's the rig he wants. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.