1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Used Duramax

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 8708, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8708

8708 Member

Looking at a used 04' Chevy 3/4 crew cab with Duramax and Allison automatic transmission. This truck has 89K miles @ $24K. Truck will be used to pull 5th Wheel trailer. What should I look out for? I don't know much about the Duramax.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Take it to the local dealer and have the computer scanned for "finger prints" (tell tales on whether a programmer has been hooked up and installed). The driveline is still under warrentey. Ask the person/dealer about the service history on the engine and tranny. Other than that, just look over the usual stuff. BTW, if you've never looked at a diesel the oil will always be black even if it was just changed!

The other question to ask is what gear ratio is in the differentials. 3.73 to 1 will yield much better miliage than the 4.10's. Towing capacity will not suffer if it is equiped with the 3.73's.

ec90t

3. lumper

lumper TS Member

It seems a little pricey ... and the mileage seems a little high as well. Actually the mileage seems quite high for a 2004. Even if that truck original left the dealership lot in mid 2003 that is still an average of 22,000+ miles a year.

What was the truck being used for?

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I see people looking for that much money for trucks that have 125K or more on them.

This is a pricey market, I believe because of the initial high cost of the vehicles and the fact that you can rack a lot of miles.

HM

5. 8708

8708 Member

ec90T...It does have the 3.73 ratio. I was afraid that was too high for pulling and expect good mielage.

lumper...The truck has not been off the hiway very often. Was used by a suburan family as the family truckster. I didn't think the meilage was that high. I have a 1/2 ton Dodge that I have 70K on in 20 months. You have to realize where I come from, you get used to driving no matter what you do. Heck, I drove nearly 200 miles round trip to shoot this past weekend.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

"The truck has not been off the hiway very often" ... that in itself would make me more than a little nervous especially since it was just a family truckster.

Ya know if that truck is an extended cab long bed with duallies, towing package and all the bells and whistles that truck should have an asking price of what I posted above.

Spend the dough and have it checked out by a good mechanic ... if he says its in good shape then just ask yourself if you want to spend the money or not. BTW ... if this is a private party sale they may be in some serious financial bind since there selling the "family truckster" so offer them cash and lowball the heck out of it. You could also see if he has any trap guns he could throw in to sweeten the deal for you.

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The price and mileage are in order. You didn't say what trim level it was or if it was 4X4.

A couple of buddies of mine have a very similar truck and routinely get 20+mpg empty and around 14mpg pulling a bigger trailer.

3.73's are fine for pulling up to 15,000lbs. A couple of the horse people I know that have Duramax's have ther's equiped with 3.73's and pull very large horse trailers with no problems.

ec90t

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Lumper,

Apparently you dont read very well, or know a thing about vehicles. He stated that it is a 3/4 ton crew cab. That tells me two things: 1 it has 4 doors and all the doors pivot from the front, 2 being a 3/4 ton it is a single tire truck as GM doesn't offer dual rear tires on a 3/4 ton truck. Whether it is a long bed or short bed won't change anything other than how handy it is while tring to park it.

ec90t

9. THALL

THALL Member

I think you will be pleased with the pulling power of the truck. I have a 2005 crew cab with a goose neck trailer hookup. The truck will pull hard as long as you have diesel. I have about 65,000 miles on mine & have not had to put a wrench to it yet other than oil, air & fuel filter changes. Good luck.

Tim Hall

10. 8708

8708 Member

ec90T...It is the LT trim package and a 4X4. You are correct with other observatons.

Am I to understand the Duramax is a dependable engine and this one with 89K has many more left in it?

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Better than the 6.0 Ford and just as good as the Cummins. The big plus is that the 'max is a lot quieter! They also cold start much easier than the others.

ec90t

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

8708, They are a great motor and transmission combination. Lots of power. It'll do what you are looking for well. Bob

13. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i would rather have a truck that has been driven a lot then one that has been sittin around for a couple months. We have had 3/4 ton chevy's where i used to work that ran to about 300,000 miles almost always towing 15,000+ lbs all around the country, but there was 1 that was just a piece of crap straight from the factory and it was a gutless piece of junk. If you do buy it put a chip in it better gas mileage and they pull better just keep it out of what we called crazy larry mode you might think its cool to have it in 4 wheel drive and be smoking all the tires but it wreaks havoc on everything!! keep up with the usual maintenance and it should last a long time.

14. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I bought a new 2004 as you describe. I have 70K on it. Tow a 30' 5th wheel. I would not trade it for anything. More power than you can use towing. The trick is to let the cruise control drive the truck up hills. It will shift and maintain speed without overtaxing anything. I get 22mpg empty at 75mph. 14mph towing at 65. Love the truck.

JON

15. Rottweil72

Rottweil72 TS Member

Have a 2002 4 x 4 ext. cab -- weighs 7400 with tool box -- 132,000 mile --- runs great, best truck we have had in our business -- 8 vehicles on the road -- never has used oil, no leaks, -- around town stop and go -- will run about 16 miles per gallon, pulling a bobcat and trailer with additional equip. -- up to 10 to 12,000 lbs. -- will run 12 to 14 miles. gallon -- lot of power

consumer reports just had a brief report on the big 3 diesels -- look at that

The MSRP on a new one is over $50K now -- fully decked out -- with the engines changes for 2007, -- I'm not sure if I would want a new one right now -- the mileage that you are talking about would not scare me away

Bill

16. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

$24K --- You can buy a new 2007 for not much more.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

MicR Where do I send the deposit for a new 3/4 ton diesel pickup for a little over 24K?

I'm there, man, just let me know.

HM

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Halfmile,

I'm GMS eligible and I can't get anywhere close to 24K for a new one!

MicR,

Just exactly how warm is the truck you are refering to?

ec90t

19. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

I have had both and I think the 6.0l has more power than the d-max. Maybe you have had more luck with the d max but to say it is a beter engine is an over statement. Lets hear it chevy fans (that have probably never driven either diesel truck). Thanks for the amusment.

20. ec90t

ec90t Guest

cobra 4.6,

You are obviously a Ford fan and that's alright. While a good running 6.0 does have power it hardly has a good track record. I'm around people all day long that have diesel P/U's that pull big horse trailers. The d-max's are getting the job done while the 6.0's are in the shop. Ford has even had to buy a couple of them back! The 7.3 was/is a far better engine than a 6.0!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.