1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/ update on Calvin MD

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by recurvyarcher, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

After talking with Calvin, it seems that he won't be out of the hospital to shoot with us until after Christmas. He developed a case of pneumonia after surgery and coughed his incision open, so there were complications.

The good news is that he's lost 90 lbs by now.

Keep him in your prayers.

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Prayers for Calvin

3. philk

philk Member

How much is he looking to loose?

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

He is in my thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Archy, how about an address I for one would like to send a card. Mike.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Somehow, I guess, I missed the original notice. I assume he had a gastric bypass? My bride did that a year ago and is pushing on a loss of 100 lbs now. I've advised her to avoid getting pneumonia! Best thoughts to Calvin, another long time contributor.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. recurvyarcher

Yes, he had a gastric bypass. He is looking to lose another 100-plus pounds. He's almost halfway where he wants to be.

Anyone who wants to send him a card:

Calvin Schappell, Jr. (Patient, Room 624)
    Johns Hopkins Bayview Hospital
    4940 Eastern Avenue
    Baltimore, Maryland 21224

I was talking to his mom during today's surgery a little bit ago, and as we were talking, the nurse told her that he was being wheeled into recovery. They grafted some cadaver skin over a part of the wound to try to partially close it. If it takes, he will go in for more surgery on Monday, when they will use some skin from his thigh to close the wound completely.

Yes, he's been lying at a 30 degree angle looking into his innards every day since the cough/sneeze combo. Poor Baby! Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

He cannot use a computer, but I'll read these posts to him when he can talk on his cell phone again.

8. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

We wish him well Devi. I think I was one of the last people to realize that CalvinMD meant Calvin from Maryland and not Doctor Calvin.

9. recurvyarcher

Oh, he'll string you along on that one if you're gullible enough. LOL!

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

To think I was only a few miles away last week! Different Hospital, but we could have waved accross the bay! :) Might have to visit when I go for one of my checkups.

11. quattle

quattle Member

I wish Calvin a full recovery. Its no fun being in the hospital, thats for sure

pq

12. bbadini

bbadini TS Member

Best of luck Calvin. I wish you a fast recovery and look forward to seeing you soon.

13. recurvyarcher

Just talked to Cal. The surgery went well, and so he gets to go back for more on Monday. They will remove the graft and replace it with his own skin from his hip/thigh area. He might get to come home by Thanksgiving.

He has lost almost 100 lbs so far...he is shooting for a goal weight of 170-180.

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Curvy, I hope he makes it to his goal. He's already done an outstanding job! Another ten or fifteen pounds, and he'll have lost the equivalent of my elderly Mother! The hard part will be keeping the weight off. I wish him luck, along with the strength and stamina he will need for success!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.