1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT / Union news !?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by R.Kipling, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to have to post this, but everyone needs to see this. It is beyond belief that these things can be said, let alone enacted, and you know that they will be enacted regardless of what we say.

I have two son's in construction unions, and this 'news' really angers me!

Kip

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

Anyone on here really surprised? Bill

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Unskilled workers building bridges ect. Half of them couldnt find their way out of a turnstile.

4. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

The people he refers to won't work anyway.

I think what we will see someday is a race war.God Forbid.

Bocephas

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

This sounds like the "minority contractor" rule they impose on tax funded projects.

Get ready for some HUGE cost over runs.

We are going to become South Africa sooner than I thought.

HM

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I bet you Union guys are happy you voted for these guys. LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/opxuUj6vFa4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/opxuUj6vFa4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The Feds will merely tell the states that if they want the money for the projects, special bidding conditions will be required. Happens all the time. they will specify a high percentage of the work to be contracted to a minority business, and a high percentage of the work, and management be done by people under a certain income level or a disadvantaged entity or minority. Know what happens? Minorities are put on payrolls and never see a jobsite, or subcontracts are written to bogus minority businesses who don't perform any work or manage anything (cause their not capable). All you guys who are union Obama backers better raise hell about this. It's on tape, they said they were gonna do it, and you'll play hell stopping them. It's part of the "spread the wealth" program.

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Time to put a business in the wifey's name and subcontract.

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

I really don't understand what everyone is so shocked and aghast about. It happens every day, 365 days a year. THIS IS GOVERNMENT. THIS IS WHAT THEY DO. They sit in back rooms, and play God with people's lives, the economy, the country.

You white union guys just always thought _you_ would be the recipient of it.

You received special consideration from the Government. From the day you stuck your first Union card in your wallet, you became part of a special, protected "class." You didn't have to "compete" for your wages anymore; you got to "bargain" for them, while sheltered by special Government laws and restrictions, placed on your employer. WAKE UP! You were always the beneficiaries of "special treatment."

You see, Unions _are_ the original AFFIRMATIVE ACTION. The Government stepped in, and gave you what you couldn't earn yourself, in the free market, like everyone else. AT THAT POINT, you became part of the "Government Affirmative Action Gravy Train."

This is what happens when government becomes the REFEREE, who decides who the winners and losers are. You saw it on the video. Robert Reich and Charlie Rangel, sitting in a room, divvying up "the goods." You white Union guys wanted to ride the Gravy Train...only problem is, now a few more "riders" have joined you on it. And their skin is a little different color than yours, and their culture is different - and YOU don't LIKE it.

This is it folks...this is what you get, when you decide you want lifes winners and losers to be decided by GOVERNMENT, rather than the free market. It can really only be one of two ways:

1) Everything is decided by merit, or,

2) Special Considerations are made.

...and Unions are the biggest "recipient-class" of special considerations, ever. It isn't pretty, is it, watching politicians sitting there in crass arrogance, divvying up the WELFARE PROJECTS? And realizing that the "Same Hand that Giveth, Also Taketh Away!"

"The Gravy isn't all coming to ME anymore...Waaaahhhh!" Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword.

If you want to live in a society where Special Considerations determine who wins what - you better get ready for a great big snout-ful of this sort of thing, under the new administration.

10. CATdiesel

CATdiesel TS Member

Buzz, I don't know about the union contractors in your area or even if you know any. My brother-n-law is a union electrical worker and I have a cousin that is a union concrete worker and both of them have had to work very hard to get were they are. Through apprenticeships and required class certificates from trade schools of which only so many even qualify for a crew. I have no fear walking into Lucas Oil Stadium to watch my Colts play because I know that the training, years of experience and dedication of the union worker that built it are the very best in the world.

Jason

11. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The problem Jason is that your seats cost so much because of the NFL Player's Union. :)

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Did you notice that the Dumbocrats spout racist drivel and no one calls them on it,,,,"white male construction workers"...

13. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

I love it This the best thing that has ever happend. The union dumbocraps back their killer. What a great end to the movie

14. CATdiesel

CATdiesel TS Member

JB, you are right there! 8 games for $2500 for 2 seats seems a bit up there. There is a guy from one of our dealorships that is a season ticket holder for the Yankee's and I think he pays something like $10,000 for his two seats in the same general area as my Colts seats. I know its hard to compare a small town NFL team vs. the storied and endless pockets of the NY Yankee's.

Jason

15. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Buzz, you have been in the catnip again.

Your view of the union situation is as distorted as the blind guys trying to describe an elephant. The one by the leg said "he's just like a tree", the one by the trunk said, He's just like a snake", and so on.

"The Government stepped in, and gave you what you couldn't earn yourself, in the free market, like everyone else. AT THAT POINT, you became part of the "Government Affirmative Action Gravy Train."

The government had nothing to do with it. What I earned was gained by being diligent enough to learn and by being smart enough to learn that if the boss doesn't make a profit I wouldn't have a job. I spent 5 years in low wages while I became knowledgable and proficient so I could make a profit for the boss.

The company did not send me to school, nor did the government.

I'm sure you must be awful wealthy since you did not have to pay union dues and were able to get a lot higher wages than your co workers or the boss's son too.

You need to study collective bargaining a little instead of throwing stones.

HM

16. crusha

crusha TS Member

People who are the recipient of "Special Considerations from the Government," never like having it pointed out that they're the recipient of "Special Considerations from the Government."

Read carefully:

1. I did not say that Union members don't work hard for what they do. (Some do, some don't; but my post didn't "go there").

2. I did not say that Union members haven't created some of the grandest work in town (eg. Lucas Oil Stadium, etc.). Hell, I've never seen money blown out the window like it is on some of these projects...and the work is usually first-rate, all the way, I must agree.

What I said was: Union members are the recipient of "Special Considerations" from Government. There. That hurts to read, doesn't it?

And now, apparently some of you are shocked and horrified to see arrogant government asses sitting in a room, handing out more "Special Considerations" to more people.

And what I'm saying is, this is what they do - and Union members have been the recipient of it for a LOONNGGG TIME. And when you get into the business of seeking and accepting "Special Considerations," it gets kinda hard for Government to "draw the line." Government isn't very good at restraining itself on that kind of thing.

Put another way - you can't deny Special Considerations for others, while claiming them for yourself. Either our society is a pure Meritocracy - or it isn't. If you take Door #2, you better be prepared to accept that some other people are going to come through that door with you. And you may not like some of the people standing in line next to you, when the Special Considerations are being handed out.

17. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

On Government construction projects, "Prevailing Wage" is a special condition that forces Non-union companies to compete with Union companies on the labor cost level. Within the specification manual of any Federal Project, there is a section called "Special Conditions". Always interesting stuff stuck in there.
    Any tax payer would shake his head. Green Requirements, minority percentages, "resurgent forest purchase" agreements, and on and on.

18. DJM

DJM Member

Buzz-guns comment may be harsh but they have merit. Take the auto industry as an example. Do you think the American consumer would voluntarily pay a fork lift driver $100,000/year? All we need do is look at the Wal-mart vs local hardware store situation to answer that question. Those UAW wages are in place only because of an alliance (unholy?) between the union, company & government. With out the government these wages would not be possible. They set import quotas so there is a finite source of cars made by non-union labor. Then they prohibit the auto companies from using non-union work force once the workers vote in the union. The company is then legally bound to bargain in "good faith" with the union. I concede it is debatable weather the government involvment is good or bad for us as a society. But unions as we know them today would not exist with out favorable laws from the government. Hence the point of government choosing the winners in the market place.

19. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Danfan - I agree, but you made the comment that the "government sides with the company", which is a general statement in itself. Face it, on most of these "union" threads/posts, there are far too many general statements that do not apply to individual situations. Then, the arguments start.

20. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

America died this week. Some don't know it yet. Most don't care. They think the government will take care of them or at least get even with those doing better. The Constitution is dead, freedom is dead. What saddens me the most is that John Wayne and Ronald Reagan are dead along with all the founding fathers. OOObbbaaammmmmaaaaaaaaa.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.