1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/TV Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Any Tv experts out there who can give me advice? This morning I picked up a new Emerson LCD 19" LCD TV for use in the bedroom in my 5th wheel. I know it's cheap but I don't use it much so I didn't want to go the expensive route. Everything worked fine except the volume is cranked up as high as it will go and it still was barely loud enough. I took it back to WalMart and exchanged it for another one. Same thing. Anything that I can do to increase the volume? Thanks. Ed

2. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

The speakers on most small flat screan TVs are very poor. You may need to get external speakers............Roger

3. skip

skip Member

Are you using another remote control other than the one that came with the TV.

If so, turn up the volume on the TV using the TV remote control then adjust it again with the cable TV remote control.

4. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ed, I'm not a techie, but........Some TV's don't have much amp output. Find one that has a higher amp out put for your speakers. I'm sure some techie can explain it better than me, but I had to do the same thing when I switched from cable TV to Dish TV.

After the switch, I could not turn the TV up loud enough. Went and bought a new TV and it has plenty of volume.

Hauxfan!

5. esoxhunter

I'm using the factory remote. I am going to try and hook up some other speakers that I have. This might help. Thanks. Ed

6. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Have you read the instruction book that, hopefully, came with the TV?

I am basing my suggestions on ALL tv channels having the same low sound level. If it is only one channel or even group of sub-channels, then the transmitted signal may be at fault.

Is it possible that there is a remote/local speaker switch either on the back of the TV or in one of the menu settings? You may want to check to be sure you are on local speakers.

Next item is for stereo systems.

Next check, is this a stereo capable system? If so you. when an mono audio signal is sent to both the left and right channels it is possible, if the signals are out of phase, to have one cancel out the other leaving you with only the difference between them to actually hear. If you are using two audio cables to make a connection, pull one, doesn't matter which one, of the audio channels and see it the sound gets louder. If the sound remains low, you probably do not have a phasing problem. If the sound picks up, you may have to replace/repair the cable. If there are no audio cables involved, there may be a phasing setup in the menu selections for audio. Otherwise, try the next step.

Check out the menu settings for audio. There may be a couple of settings that could be affecting you. If you are defaulting to SAP (Secondary Audio Program) or even maybe muted audio, that could be the problem area. There are also, on some systems, things like synthesized stereo, surround sound, or other such settings. Try a number of various settings to see if the sound level picks up.

In the showroom, does this model of TV seem quieter than the other models on display when viewing the same channel and using the same approximate volume level (bar graph display @ 50% or so) on both systems? It might just be a soft sound in this model.

Last couple of thoughts, you have removed you ear plugs and/or muffs when listening to the tv haven't you. If you use them, are the batteries in your hearing aids good?

7. esoxhunter

pyrdek: I usually leave my ear plugs in so the hair in my ears don't stick out so much. I'll try it without the plugs. Thanks. Ed

8. TC

TC TS Member

Just a little FYI on hearing aid batteries. They only have 2 conditions: "good", or "dead" nothing inbetween. The transition from working to not working takes a minute or so at the most. Not like flashlight or radio batteries. Tony

9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

are you using a satelite dish?

10. esoxhunter

Yes. However, with that cheap Emerson, I tried every code listed and could not get the TV to accept the codes listed on my Directv menu. (Must have been 20 of them) Oh well. The bedroom in the camper is not that big; so the volume should be sufficient. Thanks. Ed

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There may be an internal adjustment on the board. I know many have a 'Sub brightness" control for more adjustment.

These days if you have a TV set guy available it can be a blessing.

But the local-remote speaker switch deal is real too. Try a set of headphones and see what kind of level you can get.

HM

12. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

If you are using a satelite dish some of the older recievers for the satelite has a volume control for the satelite box make sure it is turned all the way up or you will not get the total volume use from your tv. After you turn the satelite volume all the way up then this should give you more volume on your tv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.