1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Trying to date 2 Colt Revolvers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I recently inherited two older Colt revolvers and have been trying to determine their year of manufacture. The first Colt is an Officers Model with a heavy barrel in .38. The serial number is 6407xx. The second Colt is a Offical Police .38 serial # 6122xx. Thanks for all your help....Randy

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Try www.coltrevolvers.net

Eric

3. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks mixer for your response, unfortunately I'm at work and our screening software will not allow me to go to that site...Randy

4. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

The Buffalo Bill Cody Museum has most of the records for serial # dates. I don't know if it is the curator or who.

5. 333t

333t Member

The website above will give you a complete index of Colt serial numbers and dates of manufacture.

Phil

6. FIB

FIB Member

Phil, thanks for the info. unfortunately, our company software will not allow access to that site. It's amazing that I can even get on this one...Randy

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

ok here's what I found on the proofhouse site. The Colt officers 6407xx appears to be a 1952 date, the Official Police 6122xx is a 1937-1938 model.

Eric

8. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Eric very much!! I appreciate that...Randy

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Dating 2 revolvers?? Never tried it, but in my youth I did find it difficult dating two differnt girls at the same time. As much as I like guns, Dating girls was always more fun! Sorry John, I just coudn't help it!

10. saluki68

saluki68 TS Member

Thanks for providing the proofhouse link-learned that my SAA, handed down from my Greatgrandfather who carried it on his railroad job circa 1900, was made in 1881. Had wondered for years but never knew where to look. Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.