1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Trying to add aux speakers to TV..help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimx200, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I have a nice set of stereo computer speakers with ac converter that I am trying to add to my tv for better sound. I purchased a set of cables from Radio Shack and connector as they were different size inputs into tv. I tried front audio inputs (white and red) and the ones in the back of the tv...nothing, nada, zilch sound coming out. What am I missing here? These speakers sound great when connected to my computer.Suggestions?

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

JIM

you said the speakers has Ac power so I think the speakers will work but here is what you probably need to do look on the tv menu and look up the audio menu and see if it has a selection to turn the tv speakers off if so then turn them off and the aux. speakers should work.

Also make sure the red and whie cables are hooked up to audio out's on the TV because it won't work on the audio inputs as like you said was probably on the front of the tv.

If this don't work then give make and model of the tv and im sure someone might now.

Foggy

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok relooked at your post and you said you did hook them to the front audio inputs ok that for sure won't work but most of the time on the back of the tv if it does have a lot of the RCA type plugin's then it will have the Audio out plugin's

Fog

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Foggy is right, the inputs won't work as they are for receiving sound from other devices. You need outputs to have sound.

If your speakers are amplified they should have a volume control on one of them. I have a set like that, and it has a tiny plug for hooking to a drive. they work good for the same purpose.

If your tv has no output jacks then you might try vcr outputs. If they are in use get a couple "Y" connectors at Radio shack or Wally.

HM

5. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Most powered computer speakers have 1 connector. It's a 3.5mm or 1/8" male plug TRS (tip, ring, sleeve, the tip is the left channel, the ring or center band is the right channel and the sleeve is the common ground)that connector will usually only work from the headphone jack on the tv.

The audio out puts are RCA type connections and you'll need to have a cable that has two connections, White for the left and Red for the right. Some audio out puts are independent of the tv's volume control. Given a choice always use the RCA audio out connections to feed an amplifier/powered speaker.

Eric

6. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

How about head sets? can you plug them into a T.V. for audio?

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Grunt,

Yes you can in the headphone jack connection if you have one. Otherwise no, as the RCA audio output connections don't have the required output level to drive headphones.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.