1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Trouble with Norton Anti-Virus?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Dog, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

We updated from Norton 2006 to 2008 and now computer is acting up. Sometimes when I'm on one of my Favorites (usually TS.Com) and try to X out, it freezes up, so I have to shut down the computer and restart. Today, it appeared to stick BETWEEN two of my Favorites. Same thing, shut down. Also, it seems to be a bit slower. Masybe it is coincidence but this problem did not exist prior to installing 2008 Norton.

Many of you seem to know a lot about such things. Can I get some advice on a good reliable anti-virus?

Thank you,

OD

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Don't know much about the Norton 2008 suite. I'm sure it's the internet security suite and it's bloated. Make sure your not running any other firewalls or spyware programs. Worst case uninstall 2008 and go with a stand alone antivirus program such as AVG or Avast and a firewall like ZoneAlarm. I hate suites because like your problem... you don't know what's causing the problem.

Jerbear

3. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Norton's is not as good as it say ok just my opinon because ny brother had it and he system was real slow and he took it in to the professonail's and they put some other type of antivuris on it and it runs a lot faster now and does just as good as the norton't.

I agree with jerbear on this subject.

Foggy

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Norton built it's reputation as corporate software. As a home-user product it's a resource hog and considered the poor relation of the Symantec line. Home users get a couple hundred K of updates each week; corporate users get several Mb of updates daily. See the difference?

Avast antivirus free version is about as good as free versions go and I would recommend Comodo as a no-cost firewall to compliment it. It was rated as the top firewall by the independent testing site Matousec for it's highest degree of "leak" (outbound traffic) protection.

Morgan

5. Olrusty

Olrusty TS Member

I used Norton for several years and it worked fine. Then I bought and installed Norton 360. Nothing but trouble. I finally pulled the entire Norton suite out and am now using Spy Sweeper and spy sweeper antivirus. These are by Webroot. So far they are working very well. About six months now. Jack M.

6. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I used Norton for a long time - ever since the days of DOS when Peter Norton wrote his original utility programs. Peter Norton is long gone and Norton is owned by Symantec. I read a review (PC Mag or PC World et al) a couple of years ago that convinced me to give it up. What you are experiencing, I suspect, is the main reason this article did not rank Norton high - it is a resource hog and a memory hog as well. Once it is started and in memory, it seems to have a deleterious effect on some systems. They run slower, they run out of available RAM, etc. I recall particular problems with the symevent (?) part of Norton; I think this is the piece responsible for allowing certain things to be scheduled to run at certain times and I think it also is the part of the program that checks for updates. For me, it was a real headache. I switched over to Trend Micro's PC-Cillin for anti virus and Internet monitoring. Haven't had a virus attack or any spyware etc.

Oh, and one bit of advice. If you decide to delete Norton from your system, even if you use Windows Control Panel to properly delete it, it's like a very bad headache - parts of it remain on your system. If you ever reinstall it, those files will be there to remember. Symantec / Norton knows this and they have a small utility on their website somewhere that will delete everything that's left after the program tells you it's been deleted (but it really hasn't).

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Mr. Batchelar, I too have been a user since the DOS days (I admit it, I'm a DOS baby). I've been a diehard Norton fan for many, many years, but no more.

I want to remove Norton from my laptop and my biggest concern was the 'leftovers.' Do you have any idea what that small utility is and where on the Symantec site I would find it?

I've been running AVG for quite a while now and really don't need Norton anymore. I chose to let my subscription run out this past year. Just how much of a hassle will it actually be to remove Norton and all of its components? Advice appreciated from any of you.

Thanks.

8. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Walrus, thank you for your advice. I have no problem with others popping in to offer a hand. Fingers crossed I don't mess up my laptop uninstalling this stuff. It almost scares me to untangle the Norton stuff from my system!

One big question - I presume that I need to uninstall from the control panel "remove" programs section. I want to uninstall this correctly -- it's particularly important, especially when it comes to the registry.

Thanks again.

9. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I removed Norton with the control panel "remove" program section and then went to Symantec for the removal tool. You will need it to get rid of everything. I did and it worked fine. Here is the site:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

10. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Cool, thanks. Now, I'll start the removal!

Update: removal complete and my computer survived just fine!

Old Dog, sorry for hijacking your thread, but it really helped me.

Thanks Walrus & Unsingle for the help.

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'll also add that McAfee is another bloated and overpriced security program. I gave up Norton/Symantec and McAfee a long time ago when they started asking for a yearly subscription for updates. McAfee was sued for that and I was part of their class action effort. Guess what? They gave me a free year of subscription service! I never used it and got rid of McAfee. There are so many good alternatives that are free or lower in cost. I don't need or use all of the other garbage they put in those internet suites, especially content filters. Norton filtered out the NRA.org website a few years back as a "dangerous" site. That was the killer for me. A good Firewall and antivirus program work wonders, especially for free. A couple of free spyware scanners are a good addition if you wish.

12. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

I had Norton Suite and had nothing but problems. "Chat" was with someone who did not understand my problem. I spent hours on "chat" and got no where so I demanded my money back. Symantec gave me a removal but it does not remove everything.

I have Windows Commander and went through to see what Norton had left after I used their removal tool and the Control Panel. I was surprised to see Norton stuff here and there. Eventually I had to re-format my hard drive. I went to the paid version of AVG and have had ZERO problems. Michael

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

<I>"Another good one is NOD from Esset."</I>

NOD32 is probably one of the best AV utilities on the market at the moment but I think there are better choices for the average home PC user. While the program is highly effective, its user interface is very unusual and takes more than occasional use to get used to. NOD32 also carries a yearly subscription fee that can be easily justified by constantly-exposed commercial users but which may be unnecessary for all but the most careless home power user.

We use NOD32 on our business internet network but I would not use or recommend it for a stand-alone or home network system.

Morgan

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I have used TrendMicro PC-cillin for 4 years and it's been very good.

15. missemucho

missemucho Member

I'm with ljutic73 on this; I've used PC-cillin for years and have gotten a lot of our club members weaned off Norton. Go to www.pricewatch.com and you can find it for well under $20 for the full suite. I never renew, just buy the latest version when my year runs out.
    John

16. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

I agree with Capt. Morgan and would use NOD32. Every computer geek I talk to recommended it to me, and for utilities to use the free PC Decraptifier or ATF-Cleaner. Norton takes so much memory it slows down your computer, and doesn't catch all the viruses. They are in it for the money now and the people you call can't speak English.

Gary

17. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Web page for the Norton Removal Tool is:

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?OpenDocument

From there you can download the correct version for your installation.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

18. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

The Norton Removal Tool works great and was easy to use. I used it last night. I really appreciate the information you guys passed on last night. Really helped and was a great timesaver as well.

19. Old Dog

Old Dog TS Member

I knew I could count on you folks, I always could. Thank you.

OD

20. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

I did the Norton removal and AVG add last night and what a difference! Bootup time went from about 15 minutes to just under 5. Icons pop open immediately. Caught two viruses with AVG as well

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.