1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT, Trouble with Dodge Magnum HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Joe G. NJ, Jul 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Hi all,
    I know this is off topic but I'm hoping some one out there can help me with this problem.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum Hemi, auto trans. The problem is I can't shift the lever out of Park. I step on the brake and try to shift out of Park and it won't budge.

I checked all the fuses in both fuse panels, the one under the hood and the one in the trunk. I saw no blown fuses.

Another thing I tried is the Interlock Over Ride. The manual says to remove a rubber thing out of the console, press the "pink" tab and then shift out of Park. I tried it and it didn't work.

I have never had a problem with it before, this is the wife's car and she drove it two days ago and it was fine.

Please if anyone can help with this problem it would be greatly appreciated, really don't need a very costly repair bill at this time.

Thanks to all.
    Joe G.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Is the steering wheel locked at a weird angle?

Nevermind on that, i was thinking of the key not being able to turn.

I do know if the brake switch is not sensing the brake being pushed it won't allow it out of park. Had a Chevy that the switch had come loose and wouldn't allow it to shift out of park. Worth checking out.

3. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

Hopefully this helps...On my 07 Chrysler Sebring, there was another lock on the gearshift, had to take the trim ring off to see it. Ended up being a eensy little spring failure. You might google it and see what you can find. I feel for you! Horribly frustrating!

4. Joe G. NJ

Joe G. NJ TS Member

Ok guys, thanks for the responses.

I got it fixed!!!, It was a pink plastic thing inside the console that acts as an interlock between the brake pedal and the shifter. On that pink thing is a hook that holds a spring, those hooks are notorious for breaking off therefore leaving the car unable to get out of park.

After researching the internet, I learned how to fix the problem and now it seems to be working as good as new. Thanks again, Joe G.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Some where there are several mechanics out their that feel you owe them a 1000.00$ cause they missed out of screwing you.
    Glad to see you got the problem fixed. Wild Bill

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Another great Daimler design answer for a problem no one ever had.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.