1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Traveling Documents

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Take note of proof of citizenship for land travel as of 31 January 2008.

AIR TRAVEL

Implemented on January 23, 2007, ALL PERSONS traveling by air between the United States and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean region are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States.

LAND AND SEA TRAVEL
    The following summarizes information available on the Department of Homeland Security’s website.

JANUARY 31, 2008
    U.S. and Canadian citizens will need to present either a WHTI-compliant document, or a government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license, plus proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate. DHS also proposes to begin alternative procedures for U.S. and Canadian children at that time.

SUMMER 2008
    At a later date, to be determined, the departments will implement the full requirements of the land and sea phase of WHTI. The proposed rules require most U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry to have either a U.S. passport; a U.S. passport card; a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, FAST, or SENTRI; a valid Merchant Mariner Document (MMD) when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or a valid U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders.

The implementation date will be determined based on a number of factors, including the progress of actions undertaken by the Department of Homeland Security to implement the WHTI requirements and the availability of WHTI compliant documents on both sides of the border. DHS and DOS expect the date of full WHTI implementation to be in the summer of 2008. The precise implementation date will be formally announced with at least 60 days notice.

2. highlander962

highlander962 TS Member

Heck, you are lucky.

I had a newly appointed TSA Screener at RDU (Raleigh) not want to accept my Federal Credentials to board a plane. This was way back in November 2001.

Tim

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Thats great. If you want to take a day trip to go to canada (I live an hour and a half from niagara falls), you better pony up a hundred bucks for a passport even if you'll only use it once before it expires,,,,but as long as you can sneak past the guards @ the mexican border, your good to go.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

It took a while, but 1984 got here anyway. A little at a time. GPS cellphones and Verisign ID chips are the mark of the beast as described in Revelations.

Hang on a couple more years, you will see things.

HM

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've got my passport application in and my ATF form 6 documents are the next thing on my list so hopefully I can come down and spend some money shooting targets in the US next year!!

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The above mentioned rules only apply if you're a US citizen. If you are an illegal alien you can still come and go as you please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.