1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Toyota Highlander vs. Honda Pilot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Looking for pros and cons from CURRENT owners of the above models. Dodge, Ford GM and SKB owners need not reply....

Anyone pull a trailer with either model (small boat or snowmobile trailer)

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The older pilots had no power. The new bigger one is sure enough attractive but did they increase the engine size

3. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I have an '05 Pilot EX w/leather and it has plenty ( v-6 )of power,and plenty of room inside. I drove the highlander first and also the 4 runner, but bought the Pilot. I also have an '02 Tundra so it's not toyota bashing,I just think the Pilot I got was a better deal-they are both much more reliable than most others in that class, but I still say the Honda is built a tad bit better. No problems yet to speak of.Sorry I do NOT pull anything with it.

Bottom line-you won't go wrong with either vehicle !!

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Just go drive the Honda and the Toyota. You will come home with the Highlander.

5. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

try a tahoe, buy american

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Sean: now you stop that! why would we want to buy american so "the end profit stays in America". Don

7. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

I don't know if the Polot is better than anything else but I wouldn't be scared of them. I believe all Pilots from 03 to now have essentially the same power, 240 to 250 HP with the same 3.5 engine, quite powerful actually. I think the C & D road test ran a 16.3 quarter at 85 and it weighs at least 4500. Very smooth, excellent transmission. A good light 4WD. Mileage from 22 to 26 depending upon speed. Prob about 23 at 70 or just a little more with minimal headwind. Pulling a trailer, not the best, geared high in 5th and no ability to hold in 4th, like most newer vehicles. Lots of room, decent comfort, excellent turing radius, excellent visibility, good mechanically, at least mine, never been in the shop in the first 80,000 miles. It does lack the ability to be locked in 4WD, it has an all time system that engages with wheel slip and can be locked in only at super low speeds in 1st gear. The Pilot is quite large and wider than some, Probably the best overall vehicle for what it was intended we have ever owned and that has been many tho never a Toyota, yet. Next vehicle to be a mini van, imagine? The Odyssey has same power system and thats prob what we will do. Good luck in your hunt.

8. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

We have a 2003 Honda Pilot that we bought new in November of 2002. It has plenty of power and gets 26+ MPG if I keep the speed to 75. We drove the 2003 Highlander and the Pilot and chose the Pilot for the extra seating and larger cargo space. Our Pilot has 39K miles and has been trouble free.
    We just had a 2008 Hylander Hybrid for a one day loaner from Toyota. This is one great vehicle; however the sticker price was way beyond what we want to spend on a new vehicle.
    Fred Wiedemann

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have several customers with both vehicles, I do not know why but forrunners and highlanders seem to be POS of the toyota line not really bad just more repairs then tacoma/tundra ???? do not know much about the towing factor. Im guessing they can tow 4000/5000 lbs???? We also have 6 ridgerunners all bought 1st year, done brakes and tires on all of them @ 30/40k. One is scheduled to come in for 100,000 service.

10. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

everyone who only owns american cars AND american shot guns should be ragging on you, otherwise they are sending there money overseas as well. i've got a rav4 and i don't think you can go wrong witn a toyo. test both. it's too bad you can't hook your trailer up and take a 100 mile test drive with both.
    jackmitch

11. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Sean, the report is on the financial pages is that GM could be bankrupt by the end of the year.....Had a 98 Chev Z71, 3 trannies later I guess I learned my lesson! I currently have an 05 Sequoia, 60K and never an issue! I'll likely go with the Toy again.....thanks all

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

MMMM sounds like a good matchup to me...lets crash those Nagasaki Nutbuckets into each other and see which one can crawl out of the junkpile...maybe next week we can do "Accord vs Camry"

13. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

My daughter drives a 06 Pilot. She likes the vehicle but not the gas
    milage. About 19 mph on the highway. She intends to trade it for a Camry
    this fall. No mechanical issues.

14. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Camry, drove a friends '08 with the V6 on a long trip recently. Averaged 27.6 mpg highway at 75-80 mph.

Eric

15. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Eric, Don't they make the Camry in a hybrid as well now? Jake

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

RAV 4 with V-6 is a cool vehicle; fast, versitile etc. Me? I drive a Duramax 4wd and my primary trapgun is Ljutic. Is that patriotic or what??? Maybe, but those products are the best for me for what I enjoy doing; U.S. made is a great comfort and bonus.

17. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Jakearoo,

Yes, the Camry is available as a hybrid. 4 cyl, 33/34 mpg. MSRP: $25,500 according to the Toyota website.

Eric

18. WWB

WWB Member

I had an 05' Pilot-absolutely no issues, 19 miles per gal in Colo--tops-less in winter when they add that junk! Lot's of interior rm cause it was a box on whls. Had a couple of dead spots in terms of visibility one had to be aware of. Enough power for our mtns. Drs closed like bank vaults...liked it. I would have bought another except the 09's look just like the o5's with little chg and little more offered in the way of options....plus all are dealer installed and they try to rape you! Lastly they offered the same old staid colors they did in 05 with slight hue chgs. So this time I went with the Highlander..much more style, quieter-been averaging 24.6 mpg in all around driving, has more power and has a ton of stuff the Pilot didn't for about the same money.....& lastly they offered more than just old man colors.......
    Someone said it already--won't go wrong with either one. Depreciation rate are about equal also.....at least out here.
    Bill

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok im no expert on either but maybe the toyota is the way to go from the commercial below.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/videos/BrazilianToyotaCommercial.flv">

Foggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.