1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Towable manlift

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by andybull, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andybull

andybull Active Member

I'm in the market for a used Towable manlift, I will be using it to do my home and yard maintenance here in the keys, then trail it to my other home to do the same. Does anyone on this board have experience with them, such as which one is better, etc? I'm looking at a Bil-Jax 5533A

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Looks like an accident waiting to happen. Looks like you could paint the stars. Too high for me. To each their own.Ray

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just rent em, never owned one.

4. andybull

andybull Active Member

Ray:

The reason I'm getting one is for safety. This has got to be safer than being up on a 30' ladder, or a steep roof. I've got 200 year old trees that the branches are hanging over the roof of the house, I tried a ladder and a pole saw, I almost lost my balance.

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

How high does it reach?

6. andybull

andybull Active Member

7. ouch

ouch Member

I turned wrenches at a rental yard for a few months. There are several "Manufactors" name tags on what you are looking at. They all seem very simular in design and construction. My choice would be the brand that has a stocking dealer parts store near you.

Non I seen were really hard on parts,But if it breaks it's nice to have a mechanic/parts close to you.Batteries go bad most often,But with age the rubber boots on or around switches deteriate then moisture enters ect. They also must be on a very level surface. I would get a self propelled lift so you can keep painting ,Trimming ect. It gets tiring climbing in and out the basket raising the stabilizers, towing it a few feet, Leveling it and returning to your task.

After seeing how good their fleet was cared for and how cheap it was to rent the equipment I couldn't dream of wanting to purchase anything rentable. If you rent and it breaks most places bring you a new piece of equipment and you keep progress going. When you own it you go from being a painter to being a mechanic. Good luck! Richard

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BEFORE you buy one...rent one to see if you can stand being in one...waaaaay up there! one!

I have spent a lot of hours in one and also scissors lifts. They wobble and jiggle when extended...and some people get sick being in one.

I agree with Ouch...makes more sense to rent, than to own one.

9. andybull

andybull Active Member

In my area the equipment that is for rent is usualy beat to sh_t! I agree, the renting would be a wise choice (I'm not all that wise) I like to have toys, so that when I'm in the mood I can pull out of storage and go to work.
    Here in the Keys I own a three story house. The maintenance needed isn't much but it is time consuming (I'm a perfectionist), I figure working a few times a week It will take me a couple of months to get it done. The house is a different subject, It seems that when I go there it is to perform maintenance and work. I can't just stay there till the work is done. Example; I had a huge hornet's nest on a roof vent that would have taken minutes to take down with the lift, I didn't dare go up on a ladder to spray the little guys, one blown out flood light that it would take a climber to replace, with the lift minutes.

I purchased a small 30 HP 4 wheel drive tractor with a front end loader, I haven't used it often but when I needed to use it it was there.

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hire a tree trimmer. It will be cheaper.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Being a contractor, I found it was cheaper to rent than own. Those things seem to break a lot.

I have had much down time waiting for the on-site mech to make repairs on these units.

I will not go up on a towable size machine. {to much weight with tools and materials to fully trust those flimsy units}.

12. andybull

andybull Active Member

Shannon:

Don't you think the downtime was because the units have been abused and not well maintained?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

use towable manlift to remove tree in yard