1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Toro Snow Blowers

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by FIB, Dec 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

My 1982 Toro 200 snowblower finally died. I'm looking at the Toro Power Clear 221. Have any of you had experience with this model? It has the Toro R Tec 141 cc motor (I believe made by Briggs & Stratton)

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

One Word: Honda

3. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Growing up in Buffalo NY I have an appreciation for snow blowers ... Now I live in the south! However, my cousin still lives in the "snow belt" in western NY and he swears his Honda snow blower is the best thing since pre sliced bread. The one in the picture clears 46 TONS! of snow an hour!!! Good if you live in Buffalo.

Merry Christmas,

Bob Schultz

4. Denver New Guy

Denver New Guy TS Member

I used to have a power equipment dealership and sold and repaired most brands of snowblowers. If you liked your old Toro you will find the one you are looking at to be very similiar. That is a single stage model. I would suggest looking at the Honda 520 single stage. It is a bit more money but well worth it. It throws the snow further which can be handy in a bad year. It also uses "straight" gas not mixed if that matters to you. You can not go wrong with either the Toro or Honda just stay away from Sears and MTD units (the ones that are very low price at WalMart, etc) The quality of those is poor and they do not throw the snow anywhere near as far. I don't know where you live but you may end up buying what you can find this year. All of the name brand manufacturers are sold out already so it is just what you find in stock locally.

Larry

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to all for their responses. I don't have a Honda dealer near me and as Larry pointed out most places have sold all of their single stage snowthrowers. I will probably go ahead and purchase the Toro. I have a dealer nearby that also services the units. I live in N. IL (Rockford) and we tend to get alot of snow. Regards....Randy Price

6. FIB

FIB Member

Eddie, I don't know where you live but that looks like Rockford last winter.

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I'm a two stage man, myself...........

Bought a John Deere back in 1992 when I retired, and it's been humming along ever since.

When..........and if it ever goes to hell, I'll be putting a new motor in it and run it some more..........

Hauxfan!

8. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

Dont know if the current Airens Snow Blowers are as good as the one I have from the Mid 70's. Its still working fine, I have replaced a drive part, v belt, one spark plug and put in a solid state ignition kit.
    It still dont burn any oil, and I use it here in Mid Michigan every winter.

9. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Anybody know of a two-stage thrower that isn't bothered by gravel. Keep hearing these stories about them breaking the shearpins whenever they pick up a piece of gravel. Is this true? What's the cure besides blacktop?

10. Denver New Guy

Denver New Guy TS Member

CTREAY, You can raise the skid shoes up to keep the scraper bar and auger out of the gravel and you will not have too many problems. But if you have a gravel driveway you should always keep some extra shear bolts on hand. Most of them are standard bolts that have a groove machine into it to make it easier to shear. The real reason most fail is that when people replace them they overtighten them and start the shearing process before the snowblower is even started! RTFB!

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I live in NY and we can get a lot of snow sometimes. My driveway is wide and long so I need a snow blower that would make fast work of removing the snow.
    I got a Ariens 9hp a few years back and it works just fine. I my of got a Honda but the dealer only carrys Ariens. I'm happy with it.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Have only sheared a pin maybe 5-6 times in the 16 years I've had my blower. And each one of those times was not from gravel, but from something that I couldn't see under the snow bank.

I always keep a couple extra pins around just in case.

Hauxfan!

13. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

[​IMG]<br/>
    The old fashioned way for Trappy! I'll be sticking with Ol' Red until I'm off at college!
    -Trappy

14. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

ctreay, do you have marshmallows to go with the hot chocolate?! If so, then it's a deal!
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.