1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT / TIRES

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sammie, Aug 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sammie

sammie TS Member

Just a quick question. Does anyone know anything about cheaper tires for a pickup? sam

2. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

Go to tirerack.com. Many different brands and reviews to read. Good prices too. I went with Yokohama tires the last time. The triple treads. A real high tread wear rating and good in the rain. My wife loves them on her minivan.

Good luck,,

Shawn

3. Loyac

Loyac Member

BF Goodrich T/A's, H rated All Terrain. The Best rating for the price.

4. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Love the Goodrick tires. One thing I've learned over the years with many different cars, is that you don't skimp on tires. Just not worth it IMHO.

5. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

You have to sit down and look at what you do with your truck. I have to work off road and in the mud at times so I need a mud tire. I cut firewood and put some heavy stuff in the truck also. I needed a good tire for all those reasons and for safety reasons. Put some money out for GOOD tires and you will not be sorry. Better tires will not wear out as fast and will serve you better then any cheap tire.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

cheap tires are just that, the savings is not there. At our shop we had a big problem with balance on yoko continental and some lower priced name brand, most cheaper tires are also noisy. Application is key, highway, offroad, heavy work load. I always had good luck with the heavy duty workhorse radials by good year. Im running Dunlop Grabbers on my truck now. I got 72k out of them before they started slipping in wet conditions. I do not go off road unless absolutly needed. these tires are smooth and quiet. I got mine at tirerack.com. There was a recall on some tires made in china so watch out. The best thing you can do is Check air preasure rotate ,and alignment 2 times a year. Im obsessive I rotate my tires every secound oil change. My wife has 82k on her tires and they need replacing due to dry rot. Good year Eagle ,,dont remember model. my top picks michelen goodyear dunlop.

7. oz

oz Active Member

michelins are the best. i am going to buy goodrich ta ko's next time. oz

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I went with Cooper ATR on my chevy 1/2 ton. love 'em. I also found that my local tire shop was a little better on price than Tire Rack , Discount, and all of the other on-line tire dealers. Plus, if I have a problem, they are there to help.

9. Etiquette

Etiquette Member

Sam's club is very competative on price. Don't forget the load rating, Michelin may carry the highest weight for your load class, if load is of interest.

10. cableguy

cableguy TS Member

I bought my last set of tires from tirerack.com based on both the tread wear rating and the feedback. Price was not the issue as only the Michelins were higher. The roads where I live are like sandpaper and cheaper tires wear out quick. The Yokohamas that I bought had a 'harder' compound and while they aren't quite as good in snow, they are rated highest for rain. I live near Seattle. 10k miles and they look brand new. They stick like glue in wet weather. Of course I rotate them about every 6k miles. Every other oil change. The previous tires were Bridgestones and they lasted about 30kmiles. About half the lifetime that they are rated for.
    Tires are like shotguns. Everyone has an opinion. Buy based on driving habits, driving conditions and economics. Better tires cost more money. 'nuff said.

Shawn

11. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Best car tires I've ever used are The Bridgestone Potenza G-009. About $75 each. Great in the rain and even better on dry pavement.

Eric

12. Bob in Georgia

Bob in Georgia TS Member

Michelins for me, though not cheap. Had a '93 Dodge Dakota with Michelin LTX's that I sold with 141,000 miles, with over 102,000 miles on those tires. Currentlty have a '99 Silverado with 215,000 miles and have 105,000 miles on LTX's and not anywhere near the treadwear markers. The LTX's give a great ride.
    I think the tire shop gets tired of seeing me pull in for my free balance and rotates. Bought a set of Michelin Harmony's for the wife's Honda CRV last year, so far so good, though I swear that front wheel drive vehicles seem to wear tires out sooner.

13. willing

willing Member

Be sure to check Wal-Mart. My 60,000 BFG performance wore out in 20,000. They replaced them for 1/3 price for a new set and the same warranty goes with it.

Bill

14. C-Money

C-Money Member

We use Firestone transforce tires on our brush trucks and ambulance's at work. they are 10 ply. I bought a set for my suburban and they are great. I would rather spend a little more on tires as you depend on them way to much. C-Money

15. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Sam,

I wish that my truck was the color of yours. It's a 2000 reg. cab stepside z71 4x4 that I bought in '04. When I bought the truck it had 2,500 mi. on it. The color is pewter. My uncle works in sales at the dealership and when I started looking 6 mo. prior to buying the truck, I told him 2 things: NO STEPSIDES AND NO SHORTBOXES!!!!

But i couldn't pass up a practically brand new truck for 15,000.000. It also has the 5.3. It now has 60,000 mi. and I just did the brakes for the first time. Other than that, all that I've had to fix was a universal, and 1 set of tires.

Brett

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Find a local Tire Dealer, not a wholesaler or dicount warehouse. A
    reputable tire dealer will help you choose the tire that meets your needs. Avoid buying the cheapest or most expensive your choice should be based on parameters. Application(vehicle type), where you live, milage warrnaty versus how long you plan to own the vehicle and so on.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Years ago at the dealership service department where I worked, I noticed that we never had cars and light trucks with Michelin tires exhibiting heavy edgewear. I cut a cross-section out of one of every brand of tire that GM fitted on new cars (used tires, of course) and found that Michelin was the only brand that had the steel belts extending out to the shoulders. On the rest, the inner and outer tread ribs were not supported by the belts and it makes sense that they would wear more because of that.

Ed

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Sam,

It's not silver, it's pewter, which is that silverish gold color. The mec that I have on e-bay is a Grabber.

19. marotta

marotta Member

Sammie,

Find the tires you want at the web site above.... mash on the link...

Good prices on several different makes.

Racer

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I put Kelly navigator gold on wifey's car, and When mine needs tham that's what I'm getting.

Partly because of a good dealer in this area.

They are all over the Midwest, Pomp's Tire. They cater to truckers and have recap shops all over.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.