1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: This is just chilling...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by starshot2b, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Mom shoots son at Florida Range...this shows her right before she did it. Can you imagine being the person next to this? What person, in her frame of mind, is going to "admit" to mental issues? I feel for the shooting range...Just awful.

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Horrible.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

She has driven yet another nail into the coffin of gun ownership.

As I said before, all hell is going to break loose.

Wish she would have used a car.

HM

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What a nutcase. I wonder how many "anti depressants" the good Doktors had her on.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shannon, this lady is beyond having anti-depressants. She is very likely schizophrenic and had a psychotic break. Yes, psychotic individuals can be depressed, but anti-depressants don't address psychosis. So please don't be so fast to judge the medical profession. This was a very sad and tragic situation that really was, in the big picture, not about guns, or a shooting range, but, perhaps, a need for better care and intervention and follow up for individuals who are mentally ill and in a lot of pain. Too many individuals in her lot in life fall through the cracks and can manifest as a danger to themselves or to others.

6. halfmile

Chango, you are right in a way, but if somone looks over every citizen's shoulder to make sure they conform to the norms mentally I don't think you would like the society. That would be beyond 1984. That said, There may be a therapist somewhere agonizing over this.

I wonder if there were other family members that knew how off the wall she was.

HM

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

halfmile: What I meant to suggest is not a "somebody" looking over our shoulders, but a system in which the family or person can get help without jumping through a bunch of hoops, following mazes, and having to, perhaps, as often is the case, wait for weeks to get any intervention outside of the emergency room. I think this is a real conundrum for those and for the families of those that face acute and serious medical conditions.

The best predictor of behavior is past behavior, and this lady apparently had a history...there is, as we know, no total safety net for anything. Who is to say that somebody "sane" has a hidden brain tumor or condition, sudden spike in spinal fluid pressure, etc., etc., something organic that could cause a psychotic break at a gun range with tragic results? That's a bit of the chance we all take when we leave our front door no matter what we do each day.

I don't profess to have the answer, but I do think as a "civilized" and advanced and wonderful nation, we can do better.

8. halfmile

I don't know if there were any warnings or previous history here. If she was
    a danger to herselfo or others there should have been some warning signs.

This was such a deranged incident it boggles my mind.

If I was next to someone and saw it starting, a football tackle may have done the job.

But that's just conjecture. I don't profess to know anymore than anyone else about it.

HM

9. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

HM,

From the above referenced news article:

"...had a history of mental illness and had previously attempted suicide and been involuntarily committed to a mental hospital in 2002 under the state's Baker Act."

There was a big burly gentleman standing right next to them, but was unable to see anything until it was over with, due to the partitions that separated them.

IMO, there is only so much "we" as a society can do when someone that desperate is determined to skirt the profession (and loved ones) that can help them and commit acts such as these.

Interestingly, in the notes or audio tapes that she left behind, she apologized to the Range Owners for "doing this at your place of business." This woman was on a mission...

10. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

From what I see of the article and especially the video clip, this was unavoidable. The owner of the gun range was right when he said this was going to happen somewhere at sometime. The fact it happened at a gun range just makes things more difficult for sane and stable gun owners and from the sound of it, this nutcase was not a gun owner. She has now erased the life of a young man and erased her demons at the same time. As someone else said, there is probably an agonized therapist out there.

Tim

11. halfmile

Browning, correct. Aberrations are part of any society.

Could have just as easily happened in a cutlery store.

I haven't seen the bigs taking a swipe at this, CNN, HNN, MSNBC, etc. (Unless I missed it)

Cross your fingers.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.