1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Thinking of Investing In Binoculars

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by OCMan, Sep 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OCMan

OCMan TS Member

I am thinking of investing in a very good pair of binoculars for hunting, and general site seeing. I have been pointed to Swarovski EL Binoculars - 10X42 model, but at almost $ 1900 a pair, I would like to get some input before I drop that kind of money.

Any and all opinions would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Most of the people that I know who have dropped a consideral sum on a good set of optics for viewing said that WEIGHT was the deciding factor on their choice.
    You'll get tired of a heavy set of binoculars very quickly!

I use a set of small folding field binoculars for my personal use. I get into too many tight spots to have to worry about my binoculars.

ec90t

3. grammie

grammie TS Member

The best binocs come from one place,,,,,the military!!!

Around any U.S base the one thing you can count on besides prostitutes is "pawn shops" and "military surplus" stores.....

It is there you will find the cheapest,,best optics money can buy....also about the best for outdoor gear of all kinds...........

AKA Grammie...........

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I got a fabulous pair of Burris binocs waterproof, rubber-armored and fairly compact..FREE~!.just for buying a 3x9 scope that was on sale TOO! for $199

5. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Let your eyes be the judge. If you want to judge a buck down to the 1/10 of a point at 1000 yards you may need that much optic. Chances are you may not and can get a very nice set that will do all you need it to do for less then half that amount. I am the king of bigger is better and if 900 dollar glass is good then 1800 must be a whole bunch better. Not so with optics unless you are very aware of what you are looking at and have a specific need. I look at birds and have some nice stuff but the ones i always grab are my little Zeiss 8X20's because they are so light. If your glass is heavy you will be reluctant to carry them and then they won't do you any good at all. ................................;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; The first time I compared Zeiss to Swarovski the zeiss were more expensive for a model that was relatively the same. To my eyes the Swarovski were clearer and I could see better with them. They were much cheaper at the time then the Zeiss. Usaully you get what you pay for but sometimes you get more then you pay for for less money with a cheaper set of optics.Jeff

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I too took advantage recently of the Burris deal, scope plus binoculars for around $200. The binocs are rubber armored, waterproof maybe, and OK, but I would not describe them as fabulous. They are nowhere near as good as my 9x35 Bausch and Lomb Zephyr that I bought about 30 years ago, also around $200 (but $200 bought a lot more then). They are not as good as a pair of Leupold 9x35 I bought for a son around 15 years ago, also at about the same price. I've never bought Swarovski or Zeiss, and probably never will, but do have a pair of Nikon compacts that aren't bad and were somewhere around $100 ten years ago. If I buy again I would look at Leupold first, Nikon second, and perhaps Burris next.

7. tgene

tgene Member

I don't think you could find a better binocular than the Swarovski. I purchased a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42 a couple years back and they are wonderful. Looking back, I wish I'd spent the extra $ and puchased the EL's. They are a little lighter, but I don't beleive any difference in optical quality. You will really appreciate the quality optics and won't feel like your eyeballs are being sucked out of your head when viewing for extended period of time. I was so impressed with these bino's that I now have purchased a Swarovski ATS80HD spotting scope. I use both these optics for general wildlive viewing, hunting and birding. You will never go wrong when purchasing good quality optics. The best investment you will make and last more than your lifetime. There is no better after market service than Swarovski's. You get exactly what you pay for... gene

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I think Jeff makes a good point about size/weight. Not a deal-breaker, but if you walk a lot, factor that in. My little Bushnell 7X26 Custom Compacts are the ones I always grab. Small, light, great optics. $175 some 20 years ago. In forested terrain, they'll spot any animals in the brush, and are great for birds up to 50 yards. But in open country they're no match for the big expensive glasses. If you sit & scan for hours on end, get the very best lens quality or you'll get headaches. Phil E

9. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey evryone has a very good point. If you have a chance to get a copy of Gun List mag. Look towards the back they have a guy in there that list used binoculars for a great savings .I picked up a pair of armored covered Steiners 10x50 for half the cost new .ive had them for awhile .Dropped them down the side of a hill while hunting speed goats in MONT. they survived .Check them out . thx Chuck ,chicago

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm also with SuperxJeff. I don't carry the 7x35s or the 10x50s because of bulk. I don't reach for the 10x25 Leicas because it's too much power. When I need binoculars I ALWAYS reach for my 8x20 Leicas. I use them for everything including star watching at night when I don't want to pull out the telescope. I know where the 10x25s are, but the two bigger units were packed for my last move and I haven't dug them out in 6 years. A good, compact pair is the most useful. They should be small enough to put in your pocket if possible. You will be amazed at how versatile they are.

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I have 10x40 Leicas and 7x20 compact Leicas. Pre-Dawn the 10x40 are around my neck. After the sun comes up the 7x20s come out and the 10x40 goes into my back pack unless I am sitting and scanning. I like Leicas because they have pop up eye shields. I often switch from having dark glasses on and off. The fold over rubber cups don't last.

If you want just one pair, also consider a 8x40 Leica, Zeiss, or Swarovski. This is a compromise of weight and power.

Jason

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, get binoculars with image stabilization. You'll be amazed how much better they are.

13. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

After going through many pair of cheap binoculars (some were expensive to me at the time) I finally settled on some Swarovski 7x42 SCL. That was about 12 years ago and I've never looked back.
    BUT sense then there have been some pretty darn good glass coming out of Japan that makes the $$$$ difference between the great German glass and Japan glass a big question.
    If you can find the book "Optics for the Hunter" by John Barsness (Safari Press) read it. John is by far and away the expert on optics and what he has to say in the book may surprise you.
    My 7X is great for all day glassing, I use a Leupold Spotting Scope for close up viewing. You can get some really good glass today without breaking the bank.

14. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

"Whatever you do, get binoculars with image stabilization. You'll be amazed how much better they are."

Absolutely. I've got a pair of Canon 10x30is and they're fantastic.

15. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Nikon is the only way to go. Spend $350 or so on a pair of 12X56. They are only about 5% less light gathering then the big money swarovski. also if you lose them not as much a hit on your wallet. Also I think they have the lifetime warranty as the other.
    Chris Teeters

16. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

look at Meopta. i have leica, zeiss and swarovski binoculars. Meopta are good optics at a good price. 10X42 the way to go.

17. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I used to buy the cheaper brands but after I spent the $1000.00 on the Swarovski 10-42 SLC's I have no complaints.I gave all the cheap ones away.Some of the above posts spoke of a weight issue.If you are going into the high country to hunt Elk you need to be in shape!!and you also want a set of binos that can cover the area you plan to hunt.I carry the binos and a Swarovski HD80 spotting scope and a pack with 40+ lbs in it.
    If you look on Ebay you can get the Swarovski binos a little cheaper and you need to remember that most people that spend 1000.00 on binos take good care of them. I purchased 2 8.5-25-50 leupold scopes that cost 950.00 retail for 625.00 and they are just like new so don't be afraid of Ebay.Ask questions??
    I researched what other hunters used and found that Swarovski was #1.Well I hope this helps. good luck. PJ

18. atashooter

atashooter Member

Binolux 7X50

19. rip

rip TS Member

I have Swarovski's in the 8x30 and the 10x42's. Because of the size and weight I find I always carry the 8x30's. I am very happy with them, but there are other great buys and brands out there. With all optics you probably get what you pay for and with some you also pay for the name.
    RIP

20. jimx200

jimx200 Member

OC, check out this link...www.sierratradingpost.com/d/312_Binoculars-and-Scopes.html

Register with them and they frequently send a 20% off discount code which makes for some really excellent deals. The BEST company I have ever purchased from...not happy with product, you send it back (they even pay shipping back) and the credit your card the same day it's received. I have purchased 2 kayaks, 2 mt. bikes, and way more outdoor gear than I need. Their binocular list has some fine deals. Good luck.
    ATA SHooter: can you give us your experience with Binolux? I see they are German made and I'm looking for something to carry on a kayak (bird watching).
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.