1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT.The Robins are back!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bocephas, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

The Robins are back in West Central IL.Seen five yesterday.

Folks, I was as sober as a Southern Baptist Preacher.

This ain't right.If they find a nightcrawler or angle worm as they say up North
    in my yard he will no doubt be one tough sob.

Anyone else seen any in the midwest?

Bocephas

2. RickA

RickA Member

They wont be eating anything this far north (NW Iowa) I've still got 2 ft of snow in my yard
    Rick

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

In my area of SE Pa. some of them never leave. They eat the blue seeds off of the eastern cedar trees. I seen some in Dec.in my back yard.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had two in my tree's two weeks ago. Idaho

5. cls

cls Member

Yeah, Winter is almost over. The deer are starting to roam around now. cls

[​IMG]

6. Arkie

Arkie Member

I have seen 14 in the last 3 weeks 90 miles north of Sparta. Rick

7. B V

B V TS Member

Some here in Western NY this week eating leftover mountain ash berries.

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I live in west central Iowa and as quick as the wind comes out of the south, my yard is covered in robins. They are eating the crab apple "shrivilins" as I am typing this. I have seen them all winter in great numbers. We have a huge crop of russian olives and honeysuckle berries this year so I think they are eating those.

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

They never made it this far south. We've had a very few but certainly not like usual. I have some bushes in the back side of my yard that has berries on them and they normally show up in hundreds getting drunk and running into everything but have not seen them this year. They must have stopped in North Georgia or Tennessee. Jackie B.

10. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that there are a large number of mourning doves that never left this year as well. I have the same theory on their staying as too.

11. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

20 below and I saw one in northern minnesota about 1 week ago eating berries. I'm sure it must have been LOCO berries. Glenn

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

If Albert Gore were on this site he would say its to global warming.

13. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

"In my area of SE Pa. some of them never leave. They eat the blue seeds off of the eastern cedar trees. I seen some in Dec.in my back yard."

I believe you.

Some winters, a few stick around this part of southern Ontario.

I could not believe it a few years ago when I first saw some in January.

We have a 45 acre bush lot that our trap club is on. There are berries that freeze and stay on a type of thorn tree that they seem to eat. I always thought they were strictly carnivorous, eating bugs, worms etc.

I don't know what the trees are but the berries are a blue/purple and they stain very easily and perminantly, when they are fresh, or pass through the robin ;)

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I also live in SE PA, about 45 minutes from Toolmaker. We have flocks of them in Winter. In summer they spread out, and it's unusual to see more than 10 on your lawn at any given time. In Winter they cluster and travel in big flocks. A small flock would be around 30-40 birds. They attack a bush and strip it clean of red berries. It is a sight to behold. Each waits its turn, then gobbles a dozen berries and leaves to make room for the next one. Each bird may take two turns, but the flock won't strip the bush the first time. They leave almost half. A couple of days or a week later, they are back to finish. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of bush, but the berries have to be red.

15. tachyon

tachyon Member

Had six robins in my heated bird bath this morning with nine more in the trees nearby. Most I have ever seen in early February.

16. melf

melf TS Member

Im in the Columbus OhiO area . there has been five or six in the back yard

for a week or so hanging around the bird feeder the Robins won'eat the seed so

I went to the store and bought some berries and some raisins and put them

out on the ground so far they haven't touched them .

Melf

17. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

here in east central pa. i have been seeing robins for about 3 weeks now at first it was just 2 of them now its a whole flock never seen this before. the first robin i used to see was in march. this is strange maybe they were told about global warming.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any near Chicago yet and don't know what they would eat if they were foolish enough to fly back here! Still plenty of snow on the ground and more on the way. I live to see the first Robin of Spring Please send some my way

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

The robins are here in South Georgia. There are hundreds of them in the pecan orchards and fields in the area. I've never seen them come here so late. They are normally here by November. I will have drunk birds running into my house this afternoon I bet. Jackie B.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I saw 5 or so in WNY on Sat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are those red robins i see eating berries on my hawthorne in february