Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OT/ The Last Supper in detail

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  VAMiket 
#1 ·
A 16 Gigapixel high resolution image of Leonardo DaVinci's The Last Supper is online for everyone to see.

Load the page and wait for about a minute for the rendering to finish. You can zoom in and out. You can also move around the painting by repositioning the red box in the thumbnail image found in the upper right hand corner.

#4 ·
The painting is done in oil and tempura on dry plaster, so it is not fresco. Frescos were done while the paster was wet, so the paint would mix in with the plaster and become permanent. DaVinci did not want to use this method because the colors were limited, and could not be corrected or changed as he went along (a 4 year process, if I remember correctly).

Extensive restoration was needed because the paint flaked (it was on top of the plaster and not embedded).

#8 ·
It's not the hair. Look at closely the facial features, the size of the lips and the area where the nose meets the ocular cavities. Another clue is the modest collar area on her blouse. It is noticeably closer to the top of the neck than the others in the picture, thus allowing for less "flesh" to be seen.

#10 ·
straightshooter1,
I not into bashing my religion or anyone elses religion. Yes you are too suspicious. This painting has been an interesting topic of discussion for the last several years and if one can have an intellectual discussion about such matters we can all learn something new such as the information provided by Peter Greenspan. But I will agree with jakeroo post " we will never know".
recurvy, thanks again for the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.