1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT The 5-Letter Dirty Word

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BFJ201, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

The other day I went to a public shotgun range here in Dallas only to find out that their trap field was flooded by the Trinity River. So I decided to try my hand at some SKEET so as not to totally waste a trip. It's been about 10 years since I've shot skeet and all I had was by Trap doubles gun. Without changing the setup (High Comb, IC choke on first shot Full choke on second shot) I went out and broke a 20. All in all halfway respectable considering everything. But what was weird, on the doubles from 7 I broke both birds with one shot twice in a row. I know this is not legal, but that usually shouldn't happen? Should it? unless the High House bird is set to throw low. Anyhow I just had that question about doubles from 7 and wanted to say I do enjoy trap a whole lot more. There is just to much standing around in skeet.

BFJ

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sometimes the targets break without firing a shot. If they hit each other.

If you shoot the first target at the crossing point there is higher probability of hitting the other target. It's just a matter of timing.

I always wondered if a guy could do it regularly on a calm day.

HM

3. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

You just don't know how dirty that word can be...

4. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

aw, that's not a dirty word.

And yes, you can "often" break both targets from 6 and 7 with one shot...the later Vern Roth used to do it 4 rounds out of 5 - I shot league with him, and it was far more common than not for Vern to break at least one pair a round that way.

5. smartass

smartass TS Member

If I broke a 20 in skeet with a 12 gage, I sure wouldn't be bragging about it- I'd be embarrassed.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

BFJ, Yes that can be common for certain people skeet. I know someone that can do it on a regular basis. But you have to shoot the PAIR again with the first bird as dead, you only need to break the second bird.
    And No, I don't think that Skeet is any worse of a word that Sporting Clays or even Trap.Break-em all targets. Jeff

7. Jim Brown (the puller)

Jim Brown (the puller) TS Member

Breaking 20 with a 12 gauge SET UP FOR TRAP (TIGHT CHOKES) is not bad at all.

I shot a round of 23 with my old trap 870 years ago. Those ink spots can be very ego-boosting.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Curvey, shame on you. I thought you had more gray matter than to fall prey to the good ol' boy fallacy of Us'ns vs them'ns.

Oh, well, live and learn. The power boaters hate the sail boaters, the harlety riders dinigrate the rice rockets (that blow past them so easily) and etc etc ad nauseam.

HM

9. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I've broken both high and low several times myself with a skeet gun. IMHO, scoring 20 with a trap gun is pretty good shooting, especially when you hit dead center with the full choke. It looks like a flack cloud.

Mike

10. dipstick

dipstick TS Member

Curvy, all that and a linguist also !!!!!

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Breaking both bird with one shot happens quite frequently on stations one and seven. Basically it means that you were slow in shooting the first bird and your pattern is centered above where it should be.

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

To break both birds on the first shot means that first of all you waited far to long to shoot the first bird ... especially with a mounted gun and from post 7.

Now did you actually break the high house bird with shot or with shards of the broken bird?

BTW ... if you can shoot skeet you can shoot trap and if you can shoot trap you can shoot skeet.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Skeet makes me a better trap shooter. I firmly believe that.

As others have noted, you're either shooting the low house bird from 7 waaaay too late, or chunks from the low house bird just happened to break the high house bird.

Clay targets are clay targets. Shoot them all. It'll make you a better shooter, regardless of what discipline.

Skeet with a .410 on a windy day. Now there's a challenge.

14. wolfram

I realize that this is a forum for trap shooters but I have always wondered why skeet is generally considered a lesser game by trap shooters. I like the game and it has improved my shooting skills in the other games. Is there a dirty little secret about skeet shooters that I don't know about? Oh no ... it might be too late .. I could be one of 'them'.

15. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

Thanks everybody for your answers. I know 20 is not a "Good" Score by any means, I could have lied and just said I ran 'em the first time I shot skeet in 10 years and with a trap gun, but what good does that do. There's nobody on this board I'm trying to impress. I admit I'm an un-coordinated guy and have had to work hard to become a moderate success at anything physical I do. I'm not going to apologize for that. I won't be as good as Leo or Harlan no matter how hard I work, but I enjoy shooting and will continue to do it whether I'm a C-Class shooter or I get up to AA-Class. Also, I just named this thread kind of tongue-in-cheek in reference to the "rivalry" between Trap and Skeet shooters. I think all shotgun sports are great and you should shoot what you enjoy shooting.

Sorry for the Rant,
    BFJ

16. wolfram

I caught the humor in your post and saw it to be good spirited. By the way, shooting a 20 is not a bad skeet score. About 75% of my skeet league has a lower average ... But .. they are out there every week having fun shooting shotguns. In my mind that is the point of recreational shooting.

17. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Shooting a score of 20 with a trap gun is good shooting! If you had a a more open choke in your full choked barrel, my bet is you would have done somewhat better, but a 20 is great, considering. The "rivalry" between trap and skeet is mostly good natured by most shooters. Trapshooters call skeet shooters "pantywaists" and I won't tell you on a trap forum what skeet shooters call people who shoot trap. That said, there are far too many who talk down the other's game...and mean it. Funny thing is, if you want to shoot a shotgun you need to be flexible enough to shoot either game and have fun since there may not be a field available to suit your preferred game. Being able to shoot both games makes you a better overall shooter, for sure. Best Regards, Ed

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ed,

In my experience, skeet shooters don't give trap shooters much thought.

19. recurvyarcher

Halfmile...you really don't know what I was talking about, I can see.

I think the only person on here that got it might be dipstick.

To the window, to the wall....

20. recurvyarcher

Some skeet is shot with a lot less bore than that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.