1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT..Test Drove a New Prius...Not Impressed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jimx200, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Needed a rental car today for a 240 mile round trip and as I am looking for another car with good mpg, I thought it was a perfect time to demo. While this is a nice driving small car with a good ride, the the fuel efficiency was not impressive...in fact, downright poor for a hybrid. Total miles traveled was 240, gallons used was 7.2, giving me roughly 34mpg. The trip was flat, about 90% was freeway and I drove it 65-75mph.Toyota's claim of over 40 miles per gallon is BS in my opinion. Why anyone would pay a big $ premium for one of these is silly. My other sales car is a 2006 Mazda 6 sedan, DOHC 4cyl, lot of power, and gets 31mpg on freeway with a/c running full blast. The Mazda's run about $6-7k less than the Prius and are a better driving car too. The Prius I drove is a dealer demo with 3500 miles on it. Dealer said it seems the new ones are getting LESS mpg than earlier models. "Oh what a feeling"....not.

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hybrids generally shine around town and speeds under 40mph. Out on the highway the engine is doing the work, and mpg suffers from dragging around all the excess weight.

If you live in the city and generally keep a car less than 5 years, hybrids are a good alterative. The replacement costs on some of the parts will be staggering.

ec90t

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Wouldn't be caught dead in one. Next thing you know, you'll be eating quiche and voting Democrat and stuff.

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Jim,,I don't know what you were driving,,,I have an '05 Prius,,and have never gotton less then 47 MPG on the highway,,and most it is at or over 50 MPG. 1400 miles shooting trip to Spanish Fork, UT, from So. Calif. and I got 51.4 MPG @ 70-75 MPH.
    Norman

5. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I rest my case....
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2005/hybridwatch01.html

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

What's going on here??? Technology; honestly I sometimes drive an old-tech supercharged Buick Regal. Nice car, a '99. Third car in the family. On cruise, on a level freeway, it surprises me when it gets 33 mpg at 65-70 with the AC on. Now this is a 3.8 liter pushrod V-6. I try and stay out of the boost, but the car has a great balance of power and economy.

Now the Infiniti G-35 in the family just drinks gas, hard pushed to get over 22 mpg on the freeway at any speed. Yeah, I know, the Infiniti is 3.5 liters of V-6 high tech performance, but still....such poor mpg.

Something is wrong with this picture...the Buick is almost as fast and the engine is almost and smooth...but the Infiniti is, admittedly, in a different league, but still...as the snivler said.

7. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

We recently traded our 1999 GMC Suburban (12 MPG) in on a 2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid. My wife drives it like a regular car and gets 41/42 MPG. I try to drive it to get the most MPG and can squeeze 46 out of it. I couldn't get into or fit comfortably into a Prius but, once I'm in it, fit quite well in the Camry. So far, we are really satisfied.

Ed Yanchok 6'7" 250 lbs.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Same as Jerry at my house. But, I'm not ready for a Hybrid and it's potential costs down the road (so to speak)....Bob Dodd

9. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I have a friend that bought a new Prius. He's 6'4" and about 250. He drives from Scranton PA to Philadelphia once a week. He puts the cruise control on 71MPH and gets 47 MPG on to trip to Philly which is slightly downhill. On the slightly uphill return trip he gets 44MPG.

I say that's doing very well especially since it's lugging his oversize body around.

Too bad we don't all drive cars like that. It would solve a lot of problems.

10. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Different strokes for different folks - there is a brief learning curve for the Prius but once you can implement the hypermiling technique you should get 49-51 city & 45-48 hwy. The batteries will probably be a problem after the 10 yr. warranty exp.

11. boonedoggle

boonedoggle TS Member

mmmm! quiiiche!!!

"Next thing you know, you'll be eating quiche and voting Democrat and stuff."

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Someting is wrong with the picture car companies are presenting. Second car is a 1998 Buick Park Ave. (big car) city 26 mpg, highway 32 mpg, has 130K miles on it. Third car is a 1990 Mercedies (sp). 300D (diesel avg. 36 mpg all the time. It has 205K miles on it. First car, 2008 Dodge Caravan 17mpg city, 23mpg highway. has 2200 miles on it. Seems like we were better off 10-20 years ago.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Hypermilling"? Does that have something to do with supercharging the muffler bearings?

How about waiting for the '09 to come out. They claim it gets 94 mpg (down Pikes Peak?).

14. ithaca4e

ithaca4e TS Member

Based on the feedback from others who have gotten considerably better mileage than you did, I would ask who filled the tank last? There is a possibility that the tank was a gallon or two short, but the guage read full when you picked the car up. If this was the case, you replaced the original shortage when you refueled. Based on your mileage driven and amount fuel used to refuel, if the tank was 1.5 gallons short when you started your trip and you actually filled it full at the end of your trip, your actual MPG was very close to 42MPG. Just a thought. Bill

15. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

I just bought a 2008 Honda Civic (not a hybrid) a few months ago. Drove from Nashville to Sparta and got 42 mile/gal both directions. Drove about 70 with the cruise on. I get around 35 in town depending. I am happy and the Honda will last me a long time.

KK

16. jimx200

jimx200 Member

More info: as I wanted to get an accurate mpg, I filled/topped off the tank before the drive (took less than a gallon). I called a buddy who is a sales rep (produce) in the Central Valley of Ca., he said when temps reach into the 90's or higher (pretty much all summer in the valley) his mileage drops 8-12 mpg when he runs the a/c on anything higher than medium on his 2006. He cannot explain why/how...just that it kills mileage. One of the things I did not like about the Prius is the weight..very heavy and it does not stop as quickly as my Mazda (4 wheel disc). If the a/c kills mileage this much, not interested...especially the $6-7k cost for maybe 6-8mpg increase...that difference will buy lots of gas.

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

ec90t is right.

18. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

I once owned a Fiat that got 64 MPG. If you counted the miles it was pushed, towed or flat-bedded.

It's final demise came when I hit a bump and the firewall engine and front suspension kept going while the rest of it, with me in it, stayed put.

19. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Spending $5K extra to save a thousand or two on fuel only makes sense to a liberal.

I have heard from my repair shop that batteries and service is another $5K.

Algore should put his fat behind in one, if it will fit. LOL

20. DJM

DJM Member

The higher cost per mile of the hybrids support my belief that "enviromentalism" is as much or more about feeling good as it is about doing actual good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.