1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Tell me why you don't shop at Cabelas

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by King George, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King George

King George TS Member

I'm invited to a dinner tonight to sit down with some of Cabelas marketing executives. One of the questions they are going to ask me is, what can they do to get more customers in the store. I don't know if it will go anywhere, but I would like to hear some of your suggestions so I can pass them along. If there is anything you like that they do and want them to continue doing it, let me know that also.

Thanks,

George

2. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Because there is not one close by to me. If they were to open many more new stores like Wal-Mart does they could get allot more people to shop there, like me.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I am sure glad you asked. I live in Boise and they recently put in a new store here so needless to say I was a happy camper. I have shopped at Sidney, Mitchell and several other stores in my moves around the country and have always been happy with Cabelas. I have also done a lot of online shopping. The new store here is depressing. They have very little selection and nothing much for the trapshooter. Everything I try to buy, I see at Sportmans Warehouse for less and more selection. Has Cabelas changed that much or does this store Mgr just not know what the heck he is doing?? I can order reloading supplies online and pay the shipping for much less than Cabelas prices ( and they have very little selection)I recently gave a $20 gift certificate away because I was so unhappy at the store here I walked out without spending it. I was looking for an item that appeared in the flyer ( local paper) that very day and it was not in stock. Second time that had happened

4. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I have gone to Cabelas 3 times since the opened a store near me. A 122 mile trip for me. Once I went for some special bug cleaner for boats which I was buting on line before. Once was for a battery tender which was advertised in their flyer. And the other time for ammo which was advertised. 3 trips, no purchases because they didn't have it. It was dumb of me to presume they had what they advertised or to presume they stock every day items.
    If you were me , would you keep going back?

5. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Cabela's is Just like Wal Mart: everything made in China and they put all of the small local Fishing&Gun shops out of business that we have been trading at for years!The little guy can not compete!Cabela's offers nothing but price( I think their prices are high) and little or no knowledge about what they sell!

They do have nice mounted game displays!

6. DJM

DJM Member

I have a Cabelas club Visa card. The 1% rebate in the form of Cabela Bucks draws me in. I charge all my gasoline and as much else as I can on that card.

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I buy from their catalog as there is no store near me.

There is a Bass Pro mega store about 20 miles from me that has a great selection of fishing related items. I purchased a john boat and an electric trolling motor from them last year.

Cabela's clothing and footwear are good but their shooting related items are over priced. I do like their fishing equipment, especially their rod making supplies and Fish Eagle II line of rods.

I shop Dick's as a last resort.

All of the discount sporting goods stores have gone under around here so I guess Cabela's, Bass Pro and Dick's all have to charge full fare to get buy.

Ed Ward

8. todd farris

todd farris TS Member

Personally, the prices are too high, the help is not competent in their assigned section and they don't lend themselves well to the target shooter. I can't say anything about fishing as I don't fish. We have a new one here and they have already reduced the target shell inventory by 50 percent. Now, they only keep AAs, no more Remingtons except for the cheap stuff. This is probably because Academy is next door and always at least a $1 cheaper per box of shells!

Todd

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Blackfoot - sorry but if you think there prices are high than how do you feel that they put the locals out of business? Unless the locals that you had been trading with for years were even higher priced.

Sorry, I just found your comments quite contradicting.

10. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

Prices too high, attitude of staff, lines too long

11. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

As far as I'm concerned Cabelas offers everything an outdoorsman would want. Their stock is quality and they stand behind their sales. Customer service is excellent and their stores are always clean and well kept. I agree that their guns are overpriced but they will deal. I have found that their personnel are knowledgeable about the equipment they sell. I live 60 miles from a store and can't wait to get back there again. Their catalogs are really "wish books." On a cold winter night it's fun just to take a catalog and dream.

12. Loyac

Loyac Member

I buy via Catalog online. On everything I've needed so far, and purchased, BassPro has had better quality, variety and pricing. Hiking boots, shotgun 12ga ammo, mens clothing, etc... John

13. 7 straight

7 straight Member

location,location,location? no store in new york state, gas at 3.55 a gallon, and you ask why?

14. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have been in the store in Mitchell. Store didn't impress me. Bass Pro store,Cabelas store equel in the lack of items and dumbness of staff.

On the other hand, I live about 30 miles from the Atlanta BPS. I started fly fishing, and have been in there 3-4 times this year for fishing stuff. If I needed something else I would sure call and order from Cabelas before I even thought of driving to BPS. I think there Cabelas branded clothing has a slight edge on Red Head. Every time I have called and ordered I felt the Cabelas folks were much better than BPS. Both Cabelas and BPS stores make me yawn, they cater to "mr. Average, I participate in (name which sport) 2.8 times a year" sportsman. I guess my biggest gripe with Cabelas other than the whole "Cabelas Properties" issues that have been well stated above, is that they took a good company Dunn's Supply a good company; bought it and now use the name to put on cut rate upland items.

15. chuckles

chuckles Member

They are basically Inventory in...Inventory out...typical retail store, as anywhere only as good as the store personnel...

My experience at the Dundee, MI store is the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing...

That said...I still shop there....

Biggest draw for me is "Special discounts allowed for Cabela's Cardholders" it allows me to lower my shotgun ammo cost's...need more discount offers that ultimately create a shopper incentive, at least in the ammunition area...

Shotgun ammo in quanity is a big ticket item for most shoppers, we need discounts....it is a drawing card into the store for shoppers to spend additional monies...

mention to your high falutin buddies that I am available as a sales consultant for reasonable rates, no more freebies... you can get back to me here.

regards

Chuckles

16. gunner53

gunner53 TS Member

The Hamburg store is near to me however, thier prices are extremely high on most items again as mentioned by others no much for the target shooter. clothing is good mounts are wonderful products are just overpriced. For a large company able to bulk buy thier prices should be inline and even a little lower. I own a business and know the economies of buy in bulk, also know the mentality of keystoneing not the way to go in todays economy. Let them know they need to be friendly to the sportsmen and also the clubs these people belong to. They could be more of a corporate citizen to these by sponsoring shoots or prizes also help with discounts on fundraising for sportsmen clubs volunteer fire departments and that sort of thing. Thank you for your ear and hope they will listen as well.

17. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

From the outset Cabelas has touted itself as an "outfitter". They've become a general merchandise store, trying to appeal to a very wide audience. That they don't appeal to indivudual disciplines (i.e. trap shooters, skeet shooters, sporting clays shooters, etc.), is no surprise. They've also lost their focus by diversifying into real estate. To be the best, the corporate marketing focus needs to be narrowed some. Otherwise, one doesn't know if he/she is in Cabelas, Gander Mountain, or Bass Pro Shop.

I live forty-odd miles from the Dundee store in Michigan. When it first opened, I was truly amazed at the devotion to outdoors. However, with the onset of other web-based stores, I don't need to darken their doors as often. Their prices are nothing to make me take the trip to the store. Why drive the distance to pay full retail for reloading components? I'd rather support my local dealer. Their gun prices are nothing to brag about, and for all the volume they handle, their trading policies are quite miserly. I did one trade, and I've vowed never to do another.

The dioramas are amazing, and provide a view of the outdoors not often available to the average customer. However, after the first few times, they cease to be a factor for the regular customer. Other draws are needed.

Many times, their clothing is not available, and store inventories lag catalogued items by several months. I do understand that a certain amount of time lag is necessary, but three and four months is unacceptable. Catalogue shopping is no bargain, since you pay shipping and sales tax.

Additionally, their clothing has become so "PC" that it all blends together. I do like vivid reds, yellows, blues, etc. I'm sick of "earth tones" I don't want to blend in at the club, only in the woods. The last visit to Dundee looked like a "Primo Camo" display.

Best,
    Dennis

18. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I don't shop in Cabelas stores because:
    1. they don't have a store near Portland, OR.
    2. their on-line & catalogue sales work fine for me.

19. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have one 12 miles from my house.

A few reasons:

1. Prices. Unless something I want is on sale, I don't go there to shop.

2. They do a pretty good job of supporting hunter ed, but failed miserably when we asked it we could work with them supporting our local gun club.

3. Bass Pro just opened and about the same distance away, but WAAAY more gun club friendly.

20. chuckles

chuckles Member

Dennis, now that I know you want to be a standout at the club, we need to talk I have a couple of stocks you would be interested in...

BTW you offer way too much info for those guys, you should be charging for those kind of recommendations...

regards

Chuckles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.