1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Tax software advice sought

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Jan 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Does anyone do their own taxes using available software? I don't think my relatively simple return justifies what I am being charged so I am looking at doing my own. What software do you like and why? Cost? Where best to purchase?

2. pull!

pull! TS Member

go to www.taxact.com

I have used their software for several years and it is easy to use

I buy their professional version, but the free online version is the same software, just online instead of resident on your computer.

They also have a version you can download for less than $15 that gives you a free E-File

Warren Dixon, CPA
    Wichita Falls, Texas

3. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I kind of like the H&R Block software. There's an option for audit support and access to a real H&R Block guy if you have any problems or questions - you can't get that with the 'free' stuff online. Besides, I don't like the idea of broadcasting my tax info over the internet.

The H&R software also comes with Deduction Pro. This is an IRS recognized program that will attach an IRS-blessed value to whatever you donate to Goodwill (did you know you can get $70 for an old OEM car stereo?)

This year, you can get it on a flash drive rather than a CD ROM. Install off the 1GB thumb drive, then keep it for other uses. Hell, as a bonus, the cost of the software is a tax deduction in itself.

4. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Almost forgot. It will import information from any other tax software from year to year. You won't have to input last years tax data - it does it on it's own.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

been using Quicken Turbo Tax for 10 years, cant make a mistake

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

I've also used Turbotax for many years, but it has gotten expensive. I'm using TaxCut this year which will import Turbotax files.

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Does Turbo Tax include forms for capital gains/losses from sale of stocks?

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

TurboTax! I have used it for 15 years. Has every form you will need. I have used the basic version and the business version.

Jim Skeel

9. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Perazzitms,

I would be very careful about your dealings with H&R Block! Please read the agreement that you click 'Yes' to very closely. Using their software allows them to sell your tax information to third parties. They were taken to court over this issue, I believe.

Porcupine

10. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My wife is an accountant and does our taxes. She has used Turbo Tax for the last several years and is very pleased with it.

11. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I have used Turbo Tax since the mid 90's. Have never had a problem, or had the program make a mistake. Easy to use, lots of help if needed, and seamlessly integrates with the appropriate state tax supplement unit (which you download when available)

12. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Claybrdr, Yes Turbo Tax does it all. You have to select which software you want to purchase. Go to their web site and check it out. Dave

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Tax Cut (H&R Block) is a good one. Turbo Tax left me high and dry one year, since it's registration scheme corrupted my hard drive and would not install. I had to use my back up system (Laptop) with different software. Intuit (Turbo Tax) was very "sorry" that I encountered problems, but would go no further. I had used it for years, but never again. At least I was able to return the garbage and get my money back. Try doing all of that on April 14th. Went to WalMart, bought Tax Cut and never looked back. It's been about nine years without any trouble.

14. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

Another option is take it to an AARP Tax-Aide site. It's free and because it's filed electronically a refund usually takes less than 2 weeks. They won't do rentals or K1's (partnerships) and even 'tho it's primarily for the elder generation anybody is accepted. My wife has been volunteering for the last 7 years and her site has completed over 400 returns each year.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'm also a Turbo Tax user. I use the "basic" $20 version and have done so for @10 years also. Very easy - interactive with a lot of probing questions. Using the software has helped me to better recognize certain expenses that I could deduct on upcoming returns.

For $20, its a cheap try and deductible also!

Jay

16. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Thanks for your responses. It's been a long weekend of shooting and mentoring shooters so I'm just getting back. Thanks again. wireguy

17. finger

finger TS Member

Wireguy: Another vote here for Turbo Tax with state supplement. Look closely at what each version will do for you. Buy the least expensive one that does what you need to do. bob finger

18. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Another turbo tax user here. Basic, medium, and super duper at one point, although the basic program is fine. I like E-filing.

19. howie

howie Member

As was mentioned AARP Tax-Aide program may be able to help you. I'm a "Tax Prepare" with them and we do can about 85 - 90% of all returns filed. Big things we won't do are stuff with depreciation -- like rental properties -- returns with complex K-1s -- simple K-1s with only dividends and interest like from your grand mother's estate are OK -- and returns with a full-up Schedule C.

If you want to use software, I'd recommend TurboTax or TurboTax for the web. I use the super duper version of TurboTax for my wife's business and my patnership K-1s. It works just fine, thank you. I've heard good things about TaxAct too. I would not recommend TaxCut, the Block program. Access to a Block Tax Preparer is no big deal, you can call and get your questions answered without buying the software.

20. tomk2

tomk2 Member

Wow. OfficeMax had turbotax (non-basic) 5 bucks off, but the best part was that if you bought the tax product, you got 25 bucks off Quicken 2008 deluxe. Since quicken forces you to upgrade every three years by not supporting the downloads from your financial institutions beyond three years, its not a bad deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.