1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Tax question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve Campbell, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

I have a tax issue that I'd like to clarify.

My wife and I sold about 12 stocks in 2006. We computed estimated taxes of 15% since this is the supposed long term capital gains rate. This was paid as an estimated tax in July that was paid as federal taxes (check made out to US Treasury)

Are we also responsible for state taxes on the actual profit from the sale or does the 15% cover the gains?

Thanks in advance.

2. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Stone,

It depends on your state and it's tax rates. In NC where I am, you would have state tax on the gain. Some states, like FL, don't have an income tax.

Danny

3. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

Live in Colorado, so I guess since I pay state taxes on my income from work that I will have to pay tax on this sale.

Thanks

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Stone,

Based on a very quick search, it looks like CO starts with the federal numbers. There appears to be a subtraction for capital gains, but in very limited circumstances. See the site below, read the instructions carefully.

Danny

http://www.revenue.state.co.us/TPS_Dir/home.asp

5. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

Call the Colorado Dept of Revenue and ask.
    Ditto what Danny said - read the instructions CAREFULLY.

For federal purposes, Capital Gains are calculated on a separate schedule (I believe it's "D"). The result is then moved to the 1040.

From the Colorado Revenue website:
    Qualified Colorado taxpayers may subtract certain net capital gain income earned from Colorado sources to the extent the gains are included in their federal taxable income. [ยง39-22-518, C.R.S.].

Go here:
    http://www.revenue.state.co.us/fyi/html/income15.html

I am not giving tax advice.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.