1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT-Taffy III

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

After seeing movies made about various military exploits---mostly fiction--it is about time someone made a movie about TAFFY III-the bravest, most unheralded group of sailors in WWII---their exploits off of Samar saved thousands of lives of soldiers who were on the beach at Leyte. I thought I would bring this up after seeing all the hype about Valkerie. Its about time we salute some American heroes.

Lou

2. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

What that task unit did was one of the most heroic actions ever taken by a U.S. Naval force.

Especially heartening were the actions of USS Johnston (DD-557), her captain, CMDR Ernest Evans, and crew. The men of that ship were heroes in every sense of the word. Captain Evans certainly earned the Medal of Honor.

I've read and re-read the story several times. It was amazing what a small band of determined sailors did to force an overwhelming Japanese task force to turn and retreat.

Admiral Sprague earned his pay, in full, and many times over. Admiral Halsey deserved the upbraiding he got, for leaving Taffy Three alone. I admire Halsey for his tenaciousness and leadership, but he screwed up more than once.

Best,
    Dennis

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

There's no movie yet, but the History Channel often runs their Taffy III special, which is really well done, very informational, and entertaining as a movie is as well.
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.