1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT synthetic oil

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

Is using a synthetic is a diesel engine worth the cost? Does a synthetic improve mileage and reduce engine wear? Can your oil changes be extended? I am interested in your experiences. Thanks.

2. bwhited

bwhited TS Member

Over 1,000,000 miles a year on fleet with Pennzoil 10W-40.
    Fleet is a mix of 460's and Diesel's.
    Not my favorite oil but it sure does work.

3. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Mine has worked every day of its life and turned over 421,000 tonite, 10/30 Q/S dino oil that was put in at 83 miles. But yes, you can extend your oil changes----mileage is debatable.

4. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The answer is yes to everything just make sure the oil you use is rated for your engine both SAE # and API rating. Glenn

5. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

In my Jetta Diesel, 10K oil changes are required with synthetic.

6. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

go to www.amsoil.com ,they have good information on synthetic oils.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think so

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Talked to my fleet oil salesman last week. He said a new synthetic was being called for by many HD truck engine makers. 5W30, and good for 10,000 miles.

He also said he has many customers who run synthetic much longer. Some run it 30-40,000 miles between changes, but dump the filter every 10,000.

He said one small fleet changes every 100,000 miles by dumping the filter and topping off every 15,000 miles.

All this sounded rather extreme to a guy who used to race with Kendal GT-50, and dump it every third pass.

Danny

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

If your warranty calls synthetic then your stuck with it...shop for the best deal...changing your oil, using a high quality mineral based oil and using a premium grade oil filter will give you the most bang for the buck, IMHO.

10. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

i would use the oil and change it every 10,000 but oil filter different story i had a friend who drove his car to 4000 over on regular oil it was all i could do to get the dang thing to move, they musta overtightened it last time they did it and leaving it on there for like a year prolly didn't help at all. just so you all know don't tighten the dang thing to much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.