1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT. Surgery to repair hernia OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bubba, Mar 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Baton Rouge Louisiana
    Ok, I know this is ts.com and not web md. But you all have a lot of life experience outside of the trapshooting arena.

My question is regarding surgery to repair an inguinal hernia. Anyone on here have the problem and what did they do surgically to correct it. What was the discomfort post surgery and recovery time after surgery.

Thanks in advance.
  2. vegas blaster

vegas blaster TS Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Anyone had an 'umbilical hernia' surgery recently? I have the same concerns regarding discomfort and recovery time to be able to shoot again.

AHey Bubba, if it keeps us from shooting it is not 'OT'. Wish you the best.

Thanx, Jeff K.
  3. JEB

JEB Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    If it is a common inguinal hernia, the surgery is no big deal. I had it on an ambulatory basis about 10 years ago, and went to work the next day, (desk work), although I was a little tired. After a month or so, all of the tenderness was gone, all that remained was a fresh scar. There has been no re-occurance. There are different techniques, you may want to check around. They may caution you about driving for the first week or so. Good luck.

4. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jan 29, 1998
    Had the surgery in 1999 with a 4 inch incision in the fold of my left leg right next to Mike Jr. Like Miketmx, didn't pay attention to the warnings about constipation and thought the resolution of that problem was going to kill me a few days later. Dr. inserted a teflon patch which seems to have integrated with the surrounding tissue perfectly. Walked bent over for a week. Going down the stairs was way more painful than going up.

After the first week, felt like I had a big walnut with lotsa points on it inserted in that most tender area for another 2 weeks. Shot three weeks later, but really toned down my call for the target.

Dr. did a great job on the incision and didn't need staples or stitches externally. Happy that I got it done and no repercussions ten years later.

Mike Mann
  5. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I had hernia surgery several years ago at the world renowned Shouldice hospital in Toronto Canada. This is all they do at this hospital,I believe they do about 30
    each day. You are awake doing the operation but they dope you up pretty good.You are in and out in 3 days , I was able to cut my lawn when I returned home. Lost 3 days of work total. I believe the cost is about $3000 CAN. About 50% of there patients are non Canadian.
  6. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Get it done-dont wait like I did. I finally had the surgery 3 weeks ago after the thing got the size of a grapefruit. Arrived for surgery at 1:30, surgery at 3:00, home by 5:30. Surgeon said it was one of the biggest he has done.
    Next day a little pain started but was managed with Vicadin. Missed one week of shooting-shot the next Friday night.

7. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Aug 15, 2007
    Had several "repaired" just this past October. Surgery was done as an outpatient and was done laproscopically. Three small incisions-left groin area, right groin area, and just over the belly button. Biggest was less than an inch. Home that afternoon. Was a little discomfort for a couple of days, nothing that plain old tylenol could not handle. The sooner you get it done, the easier it is for the doctors to repair, and less after effects.

Jim R
  8. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Aug 23, 2007
    I had inguinal hernia repair with mesh last December. Pretty sore for a week, second week was better, third week was sore again, forth week much better. The guys are not joking about the discomforts of hard bowell movements. Get yourself a bottle of Colace stool softener pills ahead of time and start taking them right after surgery.
  9. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Feb 27, 2009
    OK, here goes. Stay with me on this guys, because any of us (men) approaching middle age need to consider my history. I have had two hernia surgeries, one on each side. One when I was 19 was repaired surgically (large incision and repaired by overlaping and tying the muscles together) One was just 4 years ago at age 49 and this was the double screen/mesh. This is a very strong repair as the hernia repair is laminated between the two folds of the screen. If you have had one hernia, there is a high incidence of another occurance- that is the way we are made.

I was in the hospital two days (because on anetheshia reaction)and back at work in a few days, and in full action - Lifting and exercising 30 days out.

NOW - here is the kicker. Last year (at 53) I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. My best solution was diVinci robotic surgery, and complete removal of the prostate. There a lot of options, not for discussion here. (check various other prostate web sites.)

However, all the surgeons I consulted with expressed concern if my hernias had been repaired lapriscopically. It was better that I did not have lapriscope hernia repair going into the prostate surgery (for reasons that the surgeons know and I don't)

SO......many of us are of the age to get you prostate exams now and it is a common disorder. I had no symptoms ! If any male family member has had it - even if they can't hit 20 targets, start getting checked in your 40's !!! with a DRE ! not just PSA (again, ask you urologist about this - not for this web site)

BUT - be aware that lapriscopic hernia or other previous lapriscopic procedures may cause some issues with subsequent prostate surgeries or types.

Just keep asking questions of your doctors. I am fine now, but had I had the lapriscopic hernia repair, my robotic solution might have been effected or different. Good luck.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

hernia operation is no big deal

hernia ot

is hernia surgery less painful now than 20 years ago

tying muscles together hernia operation