1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Success - Vista to XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by wireguy, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I successfully eliminated Vista, re-formatted the hard drive, and replaced it with XP. It's nice to have my faithful old friend back but a couple oddities. I can't access the internet from the ethernet port that came with the computer. I had to install the card from my old computer. Anyone know how to get the original ethernet port to work? Also my speakers don't work. I re-installed all my drivers but the device manager says there is no audio device. they are connected and on.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I don't know why but I'm reminded of the movie "Young Frankenstein" as I read the posting. All that was missing are the words "It Lives"

Eric

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yes I looked and sounded like Dr. FRONKenSTEEN before it was done but I did it. I changed the audio in the bios from "automatic" to "enabled" but I still can't get the speakers to work.

4. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If anything, try going to your computer manufacturer's website and look up your computer and it's drivers, you may have to manually download and install the sound drivers for it. I had to do this with an HP laptop that I just fixed recently. Hope this helps, Josh.

5. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Well you better get used to everything you install not working because the box you bought is special and it needs Vista to run. VISTA is great it runs everything and I mean everything it runs stuff that nothing runs. If you have problems with a particular piece of software there is a fix on the vista site.

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I bought a used PC, a Dell, and it works great with all my stuff and has Windows XP on it. I thought I read on another thread that Microsoft is going to stop supporting XP soon. I hope not with all the negative comments I heard about VISTA unless you are willing to buy all brand new peripherals for everything.

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I have a request in to HP support asking for fixes to my two problems after "upgrading" back to XP. I think it will be interesting to see what their response is to having yet another customer dump the OP they provided, and if they are able or willing to help their customers who dumped Vista.

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I read that Microsoft has a new setup to replace Vista..

9. calilori

calilori TS Member

I absolutely, positively HATE Vista. It is the biggest microsoft made since their their Millinium. Sorry, I can't help you Wireguy, I just wanted to add my two cents worth about Vista

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Do you have the disk that contains the drivers for your motherboard? Lots of motherboards have integrated sound cards, and built in Ethernet. After loading your operating system, you have to reinstall the drivers for your motherboard. You can download the drivers from the manufactures web site, or go to Driverguide.com. They also have a driver tool kit that lets you copy all your drivers to a disk before you format. Wayne

11. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

I've been using Vista for quite awhile now with little problem. It boots faster than my XP machines and never crashes. XP was good too but I like Vista a bit better.

12. calilori

calilori TS Member

Mine crashes about once every fifteen minutes. I can't finish writing a blog or article without it crashing at least once or twice. I never experienced crashes with any regularity with XP.

13. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

My computer came with Vista installed, I wouldn't want to "upgrade" from XP if it was installed.

14. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Wireguy, what model is your HP? It should say on the computer case (tower) somewhere, I'll see if I can help you out. To put in my 2 cents worth about Vista; I build my own desktops, and I would install XP before I would install Vista, even if it cost $100 more to do so. I'm not one of those people that "heard" Vista is bad, I've used it before and have seen what it does to a computer that doesn't have hardware that it needs to run smoothly. Anything that Vista has, XP has, it's just not standard. I can download the little "widgets" (if I had any need) and use them. But I've seen just as many problems with Vista as I have with XP. JMO, Josh.

15. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

MY vote is for Vista, head and shoulders better than XP. If it isn't broke don't fix it. Just may opinion. BRGII

16. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Vista... the most uninstall ed OS on the planet. I have removed more Vista OS from new machines than any other OS in Microshaft's history. That includes Millennium.

Jerbear

17. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Jerbear, what's so bad about Vista? I know it has some compatibility problems with some software, but other than that, it seems fine to me.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

My Vista froze up at least once a day, usually twice or more. I now have the appropriate drivers downloaded but the chipset still isn't seeing the speakers. This leads me to believe the chipset died during the changeover. I will contact HP and see what they want to do.

19. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've had my Dell XPS since June with Vista ultimate installed and it runs flawlessly....love the way it manages photo's and other media...

20. calilori

calilori TS Member

I guess I got a bad copy of Vista then because my Vista freezes up several times a day. I never had that problem with XP. I don't have enough knowledge to uninstall Vista and install XP or I would do it in a heartbeat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.