1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - subgauge options

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

More of an SC and skeet question, but here goes.

Has anyone bought and used GaugeMate or ChamberMate subgauge tubes? If so, what is your experience?

It seems like the only way to really know is to try them in your own gun, and spend some time patterning the various loads. If you pattern all the gauges at, say, 21 yards for skeet, and they all pattern well, what would be the problem? I guess there could be some velocity loss, which may or may not show up in the patterning?

The ChamberMate site has a 30-day return for any reason. I have inquired about the GaugeMate guarantee.

Danny

2. weagle

weagle Member

I have a set of the 12ga to 20ga Chambermates and they work great. I've used them for skeet and can't tell any difference in breaking targets other than very low recoil. It's sort of like the ultimate backbore.

Seminole suggests only using Winchester AA or Remington STS shells, but the remington gun clubs work fine also. The promo loads from winchester and federal will stick almost every time which causes the insert to be pulled out of the chamber. After about 100 rounds the rubber "O" ring will start to deteriorate and must be replaced of the insert will start to come out with the fired shell.

I have heard less than optimal results when using the 12/28 and 12/410 inserts, but I have no personal experience.

All in all I am very happy with the 12/20 set that I own and would not hesitate to recommend them. Use good shells and replace the "O" ring every 100 rounds or so and I think you'll be pleased.

Don

Weagle

3. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Bob,

GaugeMate has one type that comes out with the hull every time, and a different type that is supposed to stay in the gun. The Gold Series is designed to stay in the gun.

Don,

I have to check and see how expensive that would be. Those little rings can't cost much, but what a pain - every 100 round would be.

Danny

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have the Seminole Chambermates in 12-to-20 and Briley Sidekick's in 12-to-28.

Both work quite well for me on the skeet field.

I like the o-ring feature on the Chambermates because it prevents gases from getting back between the insert and the chamber. You DO have to replace the o-rings regularly, though, but they're only about $6.00 for 20 of them delivered from Seminole.

When I use the Briley Sidekick's, the gun gets much dirtier back at the chamber face.

As has been noted above, both of these brands of inserts much prefer the premium quality shells like Winchester AA's, and Remington STS's. With my 28 gauge Sidekick's, however, I have had good luck with Estate and Federal shells (the hull is the same on the Estate and Federal shells.)

If you use the cheaper shells, the bases expand and stick in the insert, and your extractor tries to eject the entire insert, rather than just the spent hull.

If you reload, definitely stick to the premium shells (AA's or STS's.)

The Briley Sidekicks don't have the o-ring, but they have a little nylon "button" that provides the resistance to keep them in the bore. These buttons do wear out, and you have to have them replaced by sending the tubes back to Briley. The good thing is, Briley will do this for free (except shipping.) Mine are due.

I have found, with these shortie (cheapie) inserts, my scores are quite frankly no lower than when I shot skeet with 12 gauge. Its just less recoil.

FYI, I have had several folks tell me to avoid the shortie tubes with .410, so for those, I went out and got full length Briley companion tubes.

Tim

5. weagle

weagle Member

Danny, You can greatly extend the life of the "O" rings by putting a couple of wraps of teflon tape (the kind you use on brass fittings) on them before you insert them. The trade off is they will be difficult to remove with the little removal tool that is supplied with the inserts. I have a long rod with a brass fitting to knock them out from the muzzle when I use the tape.

Don

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends-- if you are really going to shoot a lot- fitted full length tubes are the best

It also depends if performance matters

Companion type full length are next

and then down the line

the reports I have seen all rate the 410 performance as very poor in the short inserts-- 28 a little better- and pretty good in the 20-- but not as good as full length inserts

regards

Gene

7. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Steve, and anyone,

How much difference is there between the performance of fitted tubes and companion tubes?

Danny

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well the performance of companions and fitted tubes are not quite the same

Point of impact can "wander" in the companion tubes up to several inches- and that came from briley themselves- that makes sence

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Unless you're a skeet "big gun" I wouldn't worry much about the miniscule difference between companion tubes and fitted tubes.

Really.

10. FelixD

FelixD Member

Been using .410 Chambermates for 4 years. These are wonderful little adaptors. No problems at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.