1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Spring is on it

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sigraph, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Sounds great, it was -2° here in BG KY this morning.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The Robins never leave my area(Southern IL) and we get some mighty nasty weather. Have snow on the ground for about the 4th straight week and temps under 30* for as long as i can remember this year. Honestly i did not know they hibernated anywhere but my home town is a far cry from up North.

Matt

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I think someone needs to read on the above website where it says "Cool Facts". It might help understand that Robins aren't a sign of spring as most people seem to think they are.

Bob Lawless

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks Bob. I certainly learned a thing or two from the article.

Matt

5. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Don't know about robins, but I had to take my long sleeve shirt off this morning on my way out to the patio ,because my wife was having a fit about a humming bird that flew into patio glass door and knocked his self out. I picked him up rubbed his chest a little and he flew off into the nice warm sunny morning. I got to mow and fertilize my yard , gonna turn on the spriklers tonight.bigunn

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Bigunn, where do you live. I'm in South Georgia just north of Jacksonville and I'm freezing my butt off. LOL

Robins have just arrived in my area this past week and best I can tell they are headed back North. We do not have robins here except for the winter. Growing up I use to hunt them with my BB gun and we would fry them up. Tasted like dove to me. Jackie B.

7. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Shooting Jack ,I'm in central Ca. Been T-shirt weather all week.bigunn

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

-13 yesterday morning. 26 now, 36 Sunday, 48 for next Sunday. C'mon Spring!

9. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Like most folks, I used to think robins went south for the Winter. Then one late PA grouse season, I blundered into a swampy hollow way back in the state forest lands. Lots of eastern red cedars, multiflora rose bushes and robins! Wow, I couldn't believe it, hundreds of them. I guess it was a robin roost, as described in the article ivanhoe linked to.

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Well every year through the winters I travel to the club I shoot at every Sunday morning if it is sunny. I see flocks of robin in the small trees and brush in the median along the highway.

This statement on the site I posted says,

"Although robins are considered harbingers of spring, many American Robins spend the whole winter in their breeding range. But because they spend more time roosting in trees and less time in your yard, you're much less likely to see them. The number of robins present in the northern parts of the range varies each year with the local conditions."

In your first post you said

"Robins are in Southern New England and moving North."

All I am telling you is many Robins never migrate anywhere they stay right where they raise there young. Which BTW almost all of the bird websites seem to confirm.

I am from centrel New England and have been seeing many Robins in winter for years

Bob Lawless

11. porky

porky TS Member

When we see the red wing blackbirds, we know spring has arrived. All the robins in the area don't migrate south. Some robins stay in the deep woods during our winters in the Northeast.

12. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Red winged blackbirds, turkey vultures, and grackles are more A sign of spring in northern Indiana.
    I've been feeding birds for over 40 years and this year I've had an eastern towhee come to eat. First time ever and he has been coming for over A month.

Ramen39

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.