1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Some People....Sheesh.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Aug 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

About a month ago or so, I took on a side job for one of the local yocals to get his old 1975 9.9 Evinrude running. Well, it needed a lot of stuff, like coils, points condensors, carb tune-up etc. Well, anyway to make a long story short, I had it purring like a kitty and even tested on my lake and all was well. Anyway, I get a phone call from the guy a couple of days ago "Hey, that outboard wont start....I need it fixe ASAP because I want to sell it to my buddy".

Hmmmmm....it seemed like a pretty simple job. I couldn't imagine what I missed. Well, he drops the engine off an takes off in a cloud of dust so I could see WHAT I could have missed in my diagnosis. I take the cover off and there is all kinds of wet sand caked under the hood....sort of as if the motor had been sunk. The carb float bowl is full of water and there is water inside of the engine. I called him (fairly sternly) and told him what I found and he said "OH...well, I did flip over in the river, but it was only submerged for a few minutes. I told him to come and get it and that I was done with him.

I AM SO PISSED OFF at this guy for not being honest and up front and assuming that I'm some sort of idiot. I will not work on this guys engine or anything else ever again.

Just venting...

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view&current=100_2682.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

YUP>>>>>>>>>>>>>

GS

3. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Don't blame you, let him pay more somewhere else...Bill

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Be glad you are not the "buddy" he was selling it to.

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

You missed an opportunity.

You should have said, "Sure, I'll fix it good as new. $100 Dumb-a$$ fee, to start. Time and materials after that."

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Geez, I wish you would have pulled the starter for me, Joe. Mine is blessed with the knuckle busting rope (actually it starts first pull all the time).

This reminds me of the guy with the Norton, after I redid his whole engine the transmission broke and he wanted it fixed under warrranty.

Yes, ........SHeesh.

HM

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Among other electronics, I do computer work. The last thing I want to do when I go home is work on them. So I've kept a low profile with the neighbors, being careful not to mention computer work. This has worked well for years.<br>
    <br>
    Until one of the kids opened their yap and not only told the next door neighbor that I did computer work, but would be delighted to help him fix his "broken" computer.<br>
    <br>
    What a quagmire. I didn't want to tell him know, and with sinking heart took a look at his machine. It was crawling at a snail's pace. Worst case of malware attacks I've yet seen, and I've seen plenty. And to make matters worse, it was a bootleg copy of XP, so there was no repair disk. No av protection, and on top of that he fell prey to one of the online scams to purchase an av program from one of the criminals who put it on his machine in the first place.<br>
    <br>
    I spent hours on that computer. Finally got it running, and put some free decent av software on it. And told him because it had a bootleg copy of XP, it probably would wind up be unrepairable down the road because there was no way to put MS security updates on it. (It was still running SP1). Strongly suggested he get a new computer, and transfer his photo, etc., to it before he lost them. (And of course I got called several more times for problems, advice, yadda yadda yadda.)<br>
    <br>
    Then I told the kids to never, ever tell anyone I worked on computers.

8. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I used to have the same problem with fixing Harley-Davidsons. Everybody was my "bro" until it was time to pay up. It did have a few benefits though. When I was in the bar I drank lots of free beer and the chicks did dig me.

9. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Brian, I do computer stuff too, and I won't work on a machine with an illegal copy of Windows on it. If they want the machine fixed, the broken version of Windows is part of the problem because they can't get patches, service packs and security fixes.

I'll offer to install a real copy of Windows. If they agree to pay for Windows and the time it takes to install it, fine. If not, I figure I'm not going to get paid anyway. They're going to get caught the first time they try to do an update anyway. Ain't worth the trouble.

People who fool with broken licenses are only fooling themselves.

10. Straight99

Straight99 Member

I know how you feel. I was an auto mechanic and owned my own business for 40 years. I worked 10 to 12 hour days, 6 days a week. A lot of people wanted me to fix their cars for free and work on my time off. On the back of my business card I printed my labor rate. Labor rate $75 per hour plus parts. If you watch $85. If you help $100. If you tried to fix it yourself and made it worse $150. If you took it someware else first $200.

11. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Model number 12- I've had a number of instances that are slightly contrary than yours'. When I take my bikes in to get worked on (local guy who's a good wrench) I PAY UP FRONT! At least a majority of the bill. I figure it will cover the parts. What I end up with is waiting, waiting and more waiting. Somehow just because I have another bike to ride my job becomes low priority. I would like to take as long to pay as it takes them to fix it. Why does owning more than one bike become part of the rational as to how long it takes to "get to it"? I always figured it was first in first out (or at least first to get it on the lift anyway. I understand that some quick outs can be squeezed in and around work on my bike but I just don't get why I seem to get backburnered frequently. Oh well 5h1t happens.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Don't blame you one bit. I would have done the same thing.

I knew a guy who had a FN sporter rifle that he took out while he was feeding his cattle. He put the gun by the fence post and while getting hay with the tractor ran it over. Bent the barrel and cracked the stock. He asked a friend that was going to a gunsmith if he would take it to him. He did. The gunsmith looked at it and asked what happened. He told him and who it was. He then handed th gun back to the friend and said " If that SOB can't respect the gun better then he does then he can fix it himself". He never got the gun fixed as far as I know.

Another gunsmith had a guy bring him a gun that another gunsmith worked on and screwed up. He asked him if he could fix it. Who worked on it? He told him and the gunsmith looked at him and said "If he is the one that screwed it up then let him fix his own mess. I don't fix his mistakes".

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

straight99:

If you laugh, 400.

HM

14. Tron

Straight99, I too was a Mechanic for 25 years and I've seen every trick in the book at least 3 times. What pisses me off about this guy is that he intentionally tried to deceive me with the ol' "you were the last guy to work on it" line and didn't think I notice that it had been under water. I forgot to mention that HE DID attempt to "fix" it himself and screwed it up even more. He ripped the plug wires out of their boots, he screwed up the carb adjustments and idle linkage etc...

I am done with him.

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Halfmile...I feel your British pain. I rebuilt an early '67 Bonneville engine for a guy who insisted on using the old 389 Monobloc carbs. They were good carbs in their day, but these ones had worn slides and bodies. He didn't want to send them off to be rebuilt(sleeved), and he didn't want to buy new Concentrics or Mikuni's.

Well, long story short...bike wouldn't idle, kept stalling; the usual Amal headaches. He blamed me for a poor rebuild. He doesn't deserve a good running bike!

16. Straight99

Straight99 Member

The stories I could tell. I used to park the cars outside and keep the key. The bad customer would bring a spare key and drive away without paying and hope I didn't notice. I built a chain link fence around the storage lot and the only people that were mad at me were the ones that were up to something and I fould out who they were right away. Nobody else even noticed.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, why is it important for you to be telling us this story?

18. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Cause maybe this is a forum where we can sometimes piss and moan and no one complains too much. LOL Haven't you let off a little steam when you've come home from the oriface...er, I mean the office? Letting it out saves wear and tear on the dog's a55.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

19. Tron

Not important at all. Just an OT subject that you feel compelled to read, LOL.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why tell this story? Because it's typical of what I hear inside the local trap club. This is just the cyber version of the club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.