1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT/SNOW BLOWER PROBLEM

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by KEYBEAR, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

A friend gave me a Snow Blower last summer It looks like new and was never used . Now the problem it,s a small MTD and you mix oil with the gas when bought new it was not used and set two years with the oil and gas in it .

The gas was in very bad condition now it will start and run on new gas but die after a short time I think it is running out of gas . I can not find a gas filter anyplace on it . I don,t have a book but have been on line and don,t see a gas filter in the parts ?? I have run some cleaner in the gas that has help,t .

Any Idea ALF

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

A two cycle engine as a rule of thumb doesn't have a fuel filter. You should really have the carb rebuilt and install a new spark plug. Does the unit have a primer that you need to push several times prior to starting the engine? If so when the engine starts to falter / slow down (RPM's)hit the primer a couple of times to see it the idle picks back up;if it does then either take the carb off and get a rebuild kit or have the unit serviced.

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

ALF, I just had my MTD serviced after owning it for nine years.

The carbeurator in it had gotten gummed up from fuel sitting in the fuel system. It probably needs a tune-up kit. Mine accumulated over nine years, even draining the tank and burning up the fuel every spring. You'll need to pull off the carbeurator, clean it and the choke, and replace the appropriate parts.

I took mine to the local repair guy, and a complete tune-up ran a little over $70. That was a cheap enough repair, and I got it back in two days.

Best,
    Dennis

4. oletymer

oletymer Member

You can probalbly get parts from Sears Parts. I get parts for Troybilt and MTD machines from them. Below is the link.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/index.action?sid=PSHx20080114x00001

5. DJM

DJM Member

Try some Sea Foam in a batch of new gas. As long as it runs some of the conditioned gas will run thru the carb. I have had several similar conditions where eventually the Sea Foam opens up the fuel track and the engine runs fine. Not guaranteed in all cases but it's cheap and easy to try.

6. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Move to Florida, Just a thought.

7. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

some of them have a small filter inside the gas tank. check the fuel lines for blockage. remove the carb and clean it with good carb cleaner. two cycle so put a carb kit in. possible needle and seat problem or may have a diaphragm type carb. either wzy overhaul, put stabalizer in proper porportion ALL THE TIME. It acts as a stabalizer and dry gas.

8. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Your carb is likely to be gummed up. You simply need to remove the float bowl, clean it out and spray some carb cleaner into the jets and reassemble. It is also possible that you have a leaking seal which is not allowing vacuum of the engine (a 2 stroke MUST be sealed well).

JMHO

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I took the float bowl off and sprayed card cleaner also filled the gas line about half full of carb cleaner . I put some Sea-Foam in the new gas and It is running now and runs better the longer it runs . It does have a primer and if it trys to die one hit of the primer lets it run .

Thanks ALF

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Your basic problem is not the snow blower, it is that you have snow to blow. We had a heavy snow this morning, it covered much of the ground and lasted almost one hour. I am still cold.

Pat Ireland

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Sea Foam is great stuff!

12. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I once used a snowblower up here in Penna. but it vibrated my hands too much and I shut it off !.................Uncle Sam, Pa.

13. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'm with 391......but would miss my duck/goose hunting in the marshes and cornfields....

Sea Foam? Where and/or who carries it?

Curt

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Found a dealer...4 miles from my house....

Thanks anyway..

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.