1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Snake question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My daughter's garage door opener failed recently. When I opened it up today I discovered a dead 15" garter snake inside the drive mechanism where it had shorted out the circuit board. How could a snake get up there? The ceiling is finished with no holes. Ron

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Don't know. Garders don't typically climb or are arborial like a lot of other types of snakes. Sure it's a Garder? Where do you live??

3. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My guess is it went up the wheel channel and then across the top of the door, onto the arm that holds the chain or drive belt and then back into his temporary hang-out where he fried.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Well that does it. The light thats out on the front of my opener is staying out. Wayne

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I'm in San Antonio. It wasn't a rattler! Ron

6. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

I bet it was outside on the ledge, the door went up and he got a free ride. Then crawl into the drive mechanism. One to remember! Birdtracker

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

wayneo,

You chickens**t. Lol.

ss

8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Blacksnakes are good climbers. I watched a four foot blacksnake try to climb a 6x6 post on my front porch to get at some baby birds. He could get about two feet up the post before his grip would not support his weight. Then he would go to the next post and try again. I put him back in the woods and he still came back to try again the same day.

Maybe the door opener made a squeek like a baby bird. I do not know of a reason besides food that would cause a snake to get in the door operator.

Jim Skeel

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

this past summer my neighbor found a copperhead on his garage door rail,,,,have to agree with the "ride" up the door....

10. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Some years ago, we had a hog snake climb onto the top ledge of our front windows via a tall rocking chair. The snake was a good sized hog snake about 2 1/2 feet long.

The window ledge was about 1 inch wide which was enough for the snake to rest comfortably while the snake's head searched for bugs between the boards of the rough cut cedar that covered the front of the house. The snake could also lower its head and look into a front window. It was May in Kentucky so it was warm and the window was open. A screen prevented bugs and snakes from entering the window.

Our daughter, about 2 years old at the time, saw the snake, pointed at it and made happy noises. My wife saw it, had a cow and yelled for me to kill the snake. We used to have snakes in the yard fairly often and I usually just scare them away. However, this sake had alarmed my wife and I had to kill it.

I took the wife's 1100 TB trap and loaded three trap loads and got a rake and went to the front of the house. I flipped the snake off of the window and shot it twice with the 1100. This made the wife happy but I miscalculated the impact of the shot. It took about 30 minutes to clean the mud, blood and snake parts off of the front shutters.

That was a bad year for snakes as I remember counting 17 snakes. Most were garter snakes under two feet but there were a couple of large hog snakes and one really big black racer.

A neighbor lady was sunning herself on her deck and felt a light sensation in the small of her back. She turned to find a snake licking the sweat off of her back. I did not think that the poor woman would ever stop screaming.

Rattle snakes are found in Kentucky but are not common. One year, a neighbor killed a small one in his yard. It had two small rattles.

In a different year, I heard a lot of barking in the dog pen where I had two yellow labs. A copperhead was coiled up in the middle and the dogs were barking at it. I grabbed a hoe, let the dogs out of the pen and chased the snake away. I wanted to kill it but it got under the back fence and retreated to a dry creek bed. A neighbor saw me swing the hoe with the dogs nearby and thought I was trying to hit the dogs. We had a good laugh when I told him about the snake.

When I was a kid and fishing along the bank of a small creek, I watched a two pound yellow belly bullhead catfish come out of the water backwards up onto the bank. What caused this was a large gray water snake, at least three feet in length, with several inches of snake down the catfish's throat. They flopped together for about 30 seconds and then the snake came loose. Both then flopped into the creek and were gone. To this day, I do not know if the catfish was trying to eat the snake or if the snake was trying to eat the catfish as the snake was larger than the catfish.

Snakes are beneficial and have a place in nature. While only a few species are poisonous, all snakes are venomous and can contain hepatitis. A bite from any shake should be treated by a doctor.

Ed Ward

11. Tron

My house is situated right between a swamp and the Huron river. In certain times of the year (April, May and October), my yard is infested with snakes. We mostly have Garder (or their subspecies "ribbon snake") Norther water snakes and the occasional Blue racer or Massasague rattle snake. I've learned to live with them being that they keep the rodent population in check.

The top picture is a fiesty male that I often find neer the swamp side of my yard...I have to be careful when mowing. In the bottom picture is a large female Norther water snake that hangs out a lot in my yard. She often comes up from the river and feeds on chipmonks and even moles!

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_0281.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_0298.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Tron:

At the risk of an indelicate question, how exactly did you determine their gender??

sissy

13. Tron

If you see a Garder or Northern water snake that is huge, it's almost always a female. With the NWS, the females also have a scale on the chin that the males don't have.

14. willing

willing Member

A 2 1/2 ft copperhead got on my trawler(39) which stands up 3-4 ft out of water. He dove out a scupper and swam around the boat, I ran inside the cabin and got a 22 w/scope and shot at him as he went around the bow. Pointing a scope straight down at the water didn't work out very well. He then proceeded to skinny rght up the side of a piling between lathes. The puny little 22 sounded like a cannon in the marina so I took an oar and speared him, my aim was better this time. The hatches were all open thank god he didn't go inside or I would never have gotten my wife on board again.

Bill

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Is it true that baby rattlers are more dangerous than the adults? Or suburban/country myth? I live where rattlers are indigenous, but mostly have disappeared here in the MIDDLE of Los Angeles. But go anywhere a little bit more rural, like a larger park, local mtns., lotsa diamondbacks. Also had the wonderful opportunity to "meet" a Mohave Green up near Walker Pass. Allegedly the most dangerous/toxic rattlesnake. Again a myth? I don't know..

16. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

school_teacher: I take it yoiu arenot one of those' crazy southern snake handlers'. He he could not resist waht with being in Kentucky. On another note not very many truly venemous snakes in this country. Yes rattlers, copperheads and cotton mouth etc. A person would do well to find out the difference and leave the others alone to do their thing. Heck a snake that can catch mice with stripes aka chipmunks can not be all bad. Bill

17. RAScott

RAScott Member

I went into my shed didn't put on the light, opened the side door and something hit my arm it was a Garder snake setting on top of the 5' wooden door, it fell and landed on my arm startled the sh-t out of me.

Grabbed a shovel and threw the pieces into the tall brush. So the garders do climb. Now I put on the light and look.

Bob S

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Snakes make great hat bands ...

Yes baby Rattlers are more dangerous than the adults because they release all of their venom unlike the adults that hit and run ... There is an abundance of Rattlesnakes (Diamondbacks) in the southwest, we see them all the time ... I'm not talking about the baseball team (D Backs) either ...

On another note, I have dated some snakes in my lifetime, even married one ... Your better off to deal with the ones on the ground ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Tron, where is that pussy cat of yours? Shouldn't it be keeping the snakes at bay?

20. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Hey School-teacher , On the Delaware River in NJ I saw a snake and catfish together coming to shore so I waited and the snake had the 14in catfish in it`s mouth. It pulled itself onto land and was drgging the fish who could hardly breath because the snake had it`s mouth shut and was trying to devour it . I called another fisherman over to see what was happening and he stepped on the driftwood the snake was laying next to and it smashed on him to let the fish go . With that the snake started chasing the fish as it was trying to swim away down current which it did succeed in getting away . What I wish to see was how the snake was going to get past those dorsal fins ?? I came home and got my snake book out and found that the snake in question was from North Carolina and south ??? How it got this far north is a mystery . Another snake was found dried up many years ago in a ceiling grate on the 3rd floor of a grade school as I was doing the new exhaust system . 2 snakes use to lay inside the trap door of one of our trap houses so every time someone opened the house these 2 would slide down into the cement blocks until the action was over . It scared the hell out of a few people who had the duty . These were our mole reducers . They would get into their holes and search them out .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

snake disappeared into wall will it go in trap