1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT snake bites dog

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by deadelk, Jun 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadelk

deadelk Member

A rattlesnake bit one of my border collies Friday night. We were unaware that it actually was a snake bite until the vet examined her Saturday. It made her pretty sick and she has a ways to go yet but it looks like she will make it.
    This will be a very expensive dog by the time this is all done. Please be aware that there is now available a vaccine for snake bites. Believe me it is way cheaper if your dog gets bitten.

2. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

My dog has been bitten on the nose twice by rattlesnakes. He was vaccinated so I can't compare it to what would happen if he hadn't been vaccinated, but it was plenty expensive anyway. The vaccine is helpful, but it isn't a miracle- he nearly died the first time. A bitten dog is still an emergency and needs to see a vet quick. Also, a vaccinated dog might die depending on where the bite is. If bitten on the chest, he's almost certainly a goner- vaccine or no vaccine.

3. t-bar

t-bar Member

How much is the vaccine?

bar

4. Gil

Gil Member

Dead Elk, I had my Boykin vaccinated and the vet was very clear that the vaccine was good for Diamond Backs but not the Mojave Green. So far no problem but I did shoot a green on my front porch. It was the most agressive snake I have ever seen, and I have seen some cotton mouths that were not friendly. I live in Arizona and you need to be sure you know the snake the vaccine is good for. Hope you dog will be OK> Gil, George Miller

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

My hunting buddy and myself have both had dogs bitten by rattlers in the last few years. We have now been giving our dogs the vaccine every September, but now we hear from the vets that the once a year shot is not enough, two needed.

Also the vaccine just lessens the severity of the bite, don't be fooled, you still need the anti-venom $$$$ shot. Both our dogs came through it very well, because we paid the big bucks for the anti-venom $$ shot, but a friend of ours did't give his dog the anti-venom $$$ shot but earlier had given his dog the vaccine. His dog did not come out very well,face is still scared and he would never not give the anti-venom$$$ shot again.

He has a web site were you can read all about it, its "arizona quail hunting camp" by Bob Corley from Globe,AZ.

We now kill every one we see. We killed one five long and about three inches in diameter last year on opening weekend.

Greetings from Arizona -

Tom Strunk

6. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Around here the vaccine is $25 and recommended every six months after the first series of 2 shots 30 days apart, so it's not that bad for a dog that is exposed to rattlesnakes a lot.

My dog didn't get any anti-venom and most of the vets here don't give it except in a dire case. The anti-venom can cause as many problems as the bite itself and is very expensive as Tom said. Around here, the vets generally just give antibiotic shots and cortezone and see how it goes.

Surprisingly, the nose is the very best place for a dog to be bitten. My twice nose bitten dog has no effects from the bites and not so much as even a tiny scar. The second time his swelling was nearly gone by the next morning. Fortunately, he probably didn't get as big a load of venom as he did the first time, where his head was swolen like a basketball for a full week.

7. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Oh man, I hope your dog makes it. I too have a Border Collie (1 1/2 old small female) who I take with me on my sit on top kayak. I don't let her roam (on leash) as there are many rattlers here in the Folsom, CA. area. I road bike ride on the American River bike trail and have seen 4 this year and a beautiful Cal. king snake (natural predator of the rattle snake and will eat them). I found a service who will "rattle snake proof" dogs for $70. What they do it put an electronic collar on your dog, they bring out a 4-5' rattler that has had his mouth taped shut. When dog is curious and gets close to angry snake, they zap the electronic collar. They were quoted in our local paper as never having to zap a dog more than twice. THey also suggest a yearly "tune up". Pretty inexpensive way to save a dogs life. Local vet offices where they hold their clinic have stated very positive results. Time for me to make an appointment for my girl.

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Thank God I live where we do not have to worry about snakes.Just freezing to death 9 months out of the year. Bill

9. deadelk

deadelk Member

The antivenom shot my dog got yesterday at the emergency clinic was $489.00. The total bill was just under $1700.00. I took my dog into my regular vet this a:m. He told me that the shot was a bargin, that as of this morning the cost of the shot was almost $1400.00! and that none of his four suppliers and any available. He put her on antibiotics and painkillers and is concerned about the flesh decay problem to come. His words exactly " could be a real bitch."
    The previous post about the shock collar seems like a real good idea. Might be time to get into the snake milking business.

10. autojammer

autojammer TS Member

I took my dog to snake aversion training (shock collar method) two years ago. For $30 they introduced her to the snake twice and gave her a very high level shock both times. They used two collars around the neck and gave both of them a full power 2 or 3 second blast. Not much fun to watch your dog go thru that but I hoped that it would stick and save us both from a painful experience down the road.

Two days ago I took her back for a refresher. She hasn't been in snake country in the mean time, so I was wondering if she would remember the scent. Put her on a lead and starting walking toward the rattler. At around 40 feet she smelled the snake and did an about-face at top speed. The look on her face said "Get me the ____ out of here!!" She got a reward from me and I have the piece of mind that she won't be coming close to a rattler any time soon. I'll keep taking her back every two years for a $20 refresher. I'm lucky to have the service show up annually nearby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.