1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Smith and Wesson 39-2 Opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I have the chance to pickup a 39-2 9mm for a decent price. Anyone own one of these and care to share your opinion? Anything in particular to watch out for?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I had a 39 and a 59, when I pulled the trigger both of them spit out jacketed hollow points ... Its been a long time and I can't honestly say I recall having any major problems with either one ... Now, my weapon of choice is a Glock ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I had one in the 80's and don't know if was the 39-2 or just a M39. It was a good looking gun and shot reasonably well but didn't function reliably with hoolow point bullets. I wasn't overly impressed with the gun back then so I sold it. The DA trigger pull was bad and the SA trigger wasn't much better. I had my doubts about the aluminum frame as well but it never did show the wear I expected it to.

Today's selection of 9mm pistols is much better and there are many models that will provide much better service than that M39 will. I think you would be a lot happier with a Browning Hi-Power if you want a full sized 9mm pistol or the Glock 17 if you lean more to the modern designs.

4. Borchardt

Borchardt Member

I like the 39's. They are not high capacity, but mine has beed dependable with a variety of ammo. Not my first choice today, but if you like retro-stuff get it. If you can only have one handgun, well, I show my friends my 1911's and my enemies my Glock.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I collected them in the late 60's. I thought it was a great gun. I had alloy frame, steel frame, chrome version. They were very accurate with the Canadian machine gun ammo that was available dirt cheap back then. Most of the ones I had were the 39-1, which were a little nicer finished, and had a machined extractor. The 39-2 was o.k., too.
    The gun was adopted as the official sidearm of the Illinois State Police.

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The 39-2 I used to own shot well enough. I only fired 115 gr. FMC's in it, and I never had a failure to fire. Accuracy was ok.

I could never get used to the way the trigger changed after firing the first shot double action, then the switch to single action. The first shot required me to use my index finger joint, but then the subsequent single action shots required me to shift the gun in my hand to use my index finger pad, or my index finger tip would contact the frame before the trigger went full travel. Never got used to it.

I preferred a Browning HP over the Smith 39.

bluedsteel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.