1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Small Machining Projects...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Hello, I am currently a senior in high school and I am taking a machining class at a local tech school for both high school credits and college credits. The instructor basically told us, if we aren't working on a project for him, we can make whatever we want, as long as we are using a lathe or mill. I figured this would be a good place to ask. Anyone have any ideas as to what I could make, that is relatively small and could be useful? I can't seem to think of anything...Like I said, I have access to both a lathe and a mill. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Josh.

2. SR1

SR1 TS Member

You could build a tap wrench,1-2-3 block's,small vise,V-block these are just some of the thing's that you could make and will have for a life time. Good luck and have fun.

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here are a few things I did in shop class....

Small brass hammer with a plastic tip on one side...(made 4 of them)

A full set of pin punches...3/8" to 1/16"...steel and brass.

B-Square recoil pad grinding jig.

An assortment of drill bit stops (the collar type with a set screw.

Doug Braker

4. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

We made 2 peice cleaning rods and 4 way pad adjusters in our school shop. I have drawings if you are interested.

5. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

We did a C-Clamp.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you can find some 1/2" brass or copper rods...cut them off at 2 1/2 inches, with slightly rounded ends. GREAT wad knocker-outers! Everyone will want one!

7. JeweTW

JeweTW TS Member

When I was in high school shop class I made a 2 jaw gear puller, machine vise & a dent puller. I still have the gear pull & dent puller but don’t remember what happened to the vise. That was 33 years ago. When I reload shotgun shells I use an old Texas loader & have a few spare bushing. When I change loads I usually have to make a new powder bushing to get the desire charge. I also own 2 lathes & a Bridgeport mill, they do come in handy. I don’t know if you reload or not, but you could make your self a complete set of shot & powder bushing for your reloading press.

Tom Jewell

8. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. Tom, making my bushings was my first idea, but then I found I have about every bushing I'd ever need for my MEC. 320090T, you have a PM. Thanks, Josh.

9. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

How much of a challenge do you want? You could make your own choke tubes. That would give you plenty of pratice cutting threads & tapers.

10. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

In my high school shop class (many years ago) we each made a set of punches (taper, roll-pin, nail set, etc.) and a set of cold chisels. The punches taught a number of lathe functions and the chisels taught hot forging and heat treatment. I still have and use most of those tools.

Post a few pics when you get done.

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make a jig for porting barrels. Make a set of weights that fit inside the butt stock of your trap gun. Make a barrel weight that clamps on your trap gun. HMB

12. SR1

SR1 TS Member

The punch's and chisel's are good projects also. I was wondering what kind of machines you will have the chance to learn things on?

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Design and fabricate aluminum gun rest

14. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

SR1, the school has 3 Acer lathes, 2 Clausing lathes and 4 Acer mills. There are only 7 of us in the class so I will have plenty of time to do stuff when I have 2 hours a day. The instructor wants to build a real ultra-light helicopter as the project this year. I don't know, but I certainly like getting out of school 3 hours early to go and play on a lathe and mill for 2 hours. Anymore project ideas? I'm going to try making an adjustable but plate, and I like the idea of a choke wrench. Jim, if I had a P/W, then that would be a consideration, but I don't have the $1500 to spend on one. Good idea though! Thanks, Josh.

15. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

How about lead melters and drippers?

16. SR1

SR1 TS Member

The best thing I can tell you is try and make as many different things as you can I took a machine trades class in school and it helped me get a very good paying job straight out of school.

17. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

you can make some nice gifts out of aluminum, like a domino set or dice.

tony

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

taller post for adjustable combs, maybe some ribs? adjustable comb hardware.

19. alpine

alpine TS Member

Making choke tubes on a manual lathe it best left to a master machinist. Those threads are double starts, and some are triple.

A CNC lathe has no trouble with the double or triple start threads.

20. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

get the machinist bedside readers.....lots of neat things and stories

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.