1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT - Skeet gun question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dmarbell, Aug 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I shoot more trap than skeet. This is a gun question. My skeet mentors have been suggesting I get a tubed gun to shoot all 4 gauges in shoots. They favor Beretta 682s. Apparently they hold up well and are "rebuildable" for upkeep.

I have found a Citori, build in 1978 the seller believes and I will confirm, with 2 barrels and older Briley tube set. I don't know yet if there is a salt problem. It's about 1/2 the price or less than a comparable 682 set.

Is there a problem keeping these "older" guns going? Anybody have any experience or advice?

Danny

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Citori's keep going and going, and hold up well under the rigors of competition. If it is a 1978 model, it would be a Type 2 and parts are still available. Generally the only problem with the older Citori (and Beretta for that matter) is the barrel length is usually 26", where now 28" and longer are more popular. The website above can help you date the gun if you have the two letters in the serial number.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get the Citori

Its as good of a gun overall although the Berreta might be more easily rebuilt-

But- we are talking things like a citori underbolt ever 50-70 thousand rounds--

hinge pins(which would require rebluing on a Browning but not Berreta every 100-150 thousand

who cares?

Citori triggers I personally like better

Beretta has a stronger and lower receiver (again a so what for most people)

Older Briley tube set is as good or nearly as good as the newest ones- in fact some of the newer designs - drawlock- didnt work out-- even if it is a fixed choke skeet in the tubes- so what?

If they are Briley and you get a very good deal- go for it

I would tend to favor a 28 inch gun-- they still were making 26 at the time

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I bet more skeet targets have been broken with a 26 inch barrel than a 28 or longer barrel. Whatchathink? It is just a fad. 26 works great, always has and always will. Ya can't beat the Citori.

5. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

By the way, I have a beautiful Grade V 1978 Citori engraved with duck/pheasants and a retriever, Coin Finish Receiver, 26” barrels in fixed Skeet & Skeet with Custom Fitted Briley Tubes For 20, 28, and .410, all in an Americase. The tubes use Briley choke tubes, and extras and wrenches are provided. I’m asking $3500.00 delivered. I've gone to a Grade 6 four barrel set for my Skeet work.

6. g7777777

Adding to my previous post

Lets get specific

What can you get the Citori set for?

If it is 28 inch and with case-- I would say 1500 in very good condition would be what you are looking at-- now this "extra" barrel is confusing- that would add in value- please tell us what that is all about??????????????/

26 inch -- less-

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I have a both a Browning Special Sporting and a Beretta 682X I have a 30" barrel for the 682X that I am going to have tubed for Skeet. My browning was purchased in 1992 and I have about 50000 registered targets and who knows how much practice. You can't go wrong with either gun, but the Beretta will hold up in the long run.

Ronbo

8. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

The Citori has 30" barrels and 26" barrels. The tube set is for the 30" barrels. Could have been custom gun with 2 barrel sets in 1978? Seller confirmed that the numbers match on the receiver and both barrels.

I don't know the choke situation. Not mentioned, could be all skeet fixed chokes.

$1,600 starting bid.

Danny

9. g7777777

Pay him for it today-- lol - if it is in good condition

that extra barrel isnt worth much but it is worth something and you could even hunt with it

I assume there is a case --

You can probably use this for trap doubles and or trap if you get an adjusatble comb--

If it doesnt have choke tubes (which it probably doesnt) you could have angle port thread some for you and use it for sporting

This is the gun you want

If you dont want it email me

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Howdy,

Hey Bob K, I'm interested in your Grade V! Can you email pics?

Neutral Cast? Standard LOP/Factory Pad?

thanks,

Howard

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

brownigs are as tough as any and usually cheaper

12. 3200

3200 TS Member

At $1600 it's worth the money. Should you decide that more skeet is in your future and want to move on or up to another gun - Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoff, etc - you should easily be able to recoup your money.

13. 682b

682b Member

Go as high as 2200 or 2300 then you get to a point you can find a 682 tubed gun.

14. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

I still favor the 26" barrel for Skeet. I believe that the
    reason 28" barrels are in vogue is that one can use the same
    gun for Skeet & Sporting Clays (assuming changable choke tubes)
    with not much degradation for either sport. That little 26"
    swings so fast & easy, there's just no comparison. I've shot
    26" for Skeet on my own guns since 1958 and I'm not going to
    change. Us old geezers get crotchety about such things......

AdamsRibs

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

26 inchers are for DINOSAUARS , give me 4 more inches and will be on the Riviera !!! LOL, Jeff

16. g7777777

Forget about the barrel discussion or brand discussion

This is a no brainer

The price is right

There are advantages and disadvantages to Berreta or Browning- I will not concede either is better although the Berreta is more pricy-- my experience tells me that most people will shoot the browning better for several reasons we wont go into here

If you dont want it= email me the guys contact information

regards from Iowa

Gene

17. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hmmm

Most of the guys I shoot skeet with, including myself, prefer 30" barrels.

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Most of the guys you shoot skeet with, including yourself, are fad-following duffers.

:)

a dinosauar

19. Anti-Fed

Anti-Fed Member

All the Berettas I've picked up seem light in the front end, even with tubes in place. Brownings are balanced more like what I want, but still not like my 3200s. I use 28" (or whatever they were...not quite 28) 3200s for skeet, and have no intention of getting something longer. My wife shoots a Citori, between the two...I'd go with the Browning. Your mileage may vary...

Jed

20. g7777777

naaaaaaaaaa code is correct- fad- most of us shoot worse with longer barrels

tube sets are a different story- dont lump the together

Wayne Mays and Robert Paxton shoot 28 inch barrels still I belive

If you dont shoot all the time- every day or several hundred rounds a week- a longer barrel moved less precisely only puts you futher off the target line because of having to over come more inertia and then being further visually from the target

if you arent smooth and on the wrong target line- correction with a longer barrel is harder because of momentum

regards from Iowa

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.