1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT / Shingles

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by esoxhunter, May 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Anybody out there ever experience the "pleasure" of having shingles? Not a very pleasant condition. Just wondering how long this stupid condition lasts. I guess it's a virus that remains in a persons body after they have chicken pox. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Ed

2. esoxhunter

I talked to a couple of guys at the gun club. Both agreed that a person just has to "ride it out" until it goes away. I did read on an internet website; that a person should seek medical treatment immediately if it is on your face, due to it can affect your eyesight. I have the rash on my upper back. I guess I'll just "grin and bear it". If it gets any worse, I can always hang myself. :) Ed

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Right side of torso for me, I can be very painfull and caused me to feel like I been beat with a baseball bat even after the rash cleared up, the pain can be so intense for some they are given narcotic pain meds. Others only have mild irritation.

My doc said it does have a contagious period.

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

That stuff could spread if you scratch it just like any other disease. suggest going on ahead to dr and see what he can do for you. If you touched it (broken out spot) and touched your eyes what would happen?? Done had it on face and was no pic-nic. Meds for it are pretty expensive but well worth it.

Bob

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Please, if you're over 60, do yourself a GREAT favor and get the shingles vaccine.

"A shingles rash usually appears on one side of the face or body and lasts from 2 to 4 weeks. Its main symptom is pain, which can be quite severe. Other symptoms of shingles can include fever, headache, chills and upset stomach.

Very rarely, a shingles infection can lead to pneumonia, hearing problems, blindness, brain inflammation (encephalitis) or death. For about 1 person in 5, severe pain can continue even long after the rash clears up. This is called post-herpetic neuralgia." (Center for Disease Control)

6. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I've had shingles twice but was lucky to catch them early and got rid of them with medicine. Can be extremely painful if not caught early. A member of our club has had them for about four years with no end in sight. Good Luck.

BB

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Yep I've hadem. Found out there is a vaccine for this now. You must wait till you are over the shingles first. As soon as I could I made sure I got the shot. Been about 3 yrs. now and have not come back.
    Get the shot its cheap.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I had them about 9-10 years ago. No fun, I'm telling you.

Took Prednisone, which I will never take again unless threatened with bodily harm. It got rid of my shingles.

Like MTA Tom says, if you are over 60 get the shot. It is expensive, but well worth it.

Good Luck!

Hauxfan!

9. t-bar

t-bar Member

Got the vaccine 2 years ago.

10. esoxhunter

Thanks for the input. I just hate to take some of these drugs. They have so many side effects; that one might be better off with the condition than the cure. I have had this for a week; so I guess it's a little late for a lot of help. It's painful I will admit; but if it gets no worse I think I can ride it out. Ed

11. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have been trying to find a clinic or hospital that carries the vaccine but nobody in my area will do it because of the very short shelf life. I live in the Peoria,Il. area. Fulton County health dept. was no help either. I would like to hear from someone in my area that has found a place to get a shot. How much do the shots cost generally and does Medicare cover these.

This seems to be a male problem as I never heard of a woman getting it.

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

My wife had an extremely painful lingering outbreak five years ago. Men and women suffer equally.

Believe me, you do not want yourself or a loved one to go through this agony.

The vaccine can be hard to find and may cost $250, but please listen: be persistent and

GET THE SHOT!

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Tom is right. I got the shot for FREE from my medical provider at age 62. My wife got shingles at age 56. GET THE SHOT AS SOON AS YOU CAN. Your medical provider can give it to you for free. Yell or scream at them to give it to you ASAP!!! Fred

14. t-bar

t-bar Member

Dave P,

Its not the short shelf life, when we got ours had to call ahead so they could mix it. Got ours in Indianapolis at a medical supply store.

15. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

So a guy that has never had any childhood diseases shouldn't be concerned?????
    just wondering,,,,
    Thats right,,63 years old and never a childhood illness,,,,

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

"Only someone who has had chickenpox – or,rarely, has gotten chickenpox vaccine – can get shingles. The virus stays in your body, and can cause shingles many years later. You can’t catch shingles from another person with shingles. However, a person who has never had chickenpox (or chickenpox vaccine) could get chickenpox from someone with shingles. This is not very common" (CDC)

Please note, from what I've read I believe it is possible to have had a mild case of chickenpox without knowing it.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

In any case, seek medical help if you think you have it. There are a few serious conditions that could have similar rashes or symptoms. They have medications that may shorten the outbreak and there is a vaccine to help prevent it.

18. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have had shingles at least a dozen times starting about 35 years ago. It reoccurs every 2 to 3 years. Each time it has milder symptoms. Usually it occurs on my forehead and I have residual forehead pain since my first outbreak. The last time I had it on my trunk. It was so mild I thought I had a series of insect bites. I just happened to go to my dermetolgist about another matter and when I asked him about the bites he pointed out I had shingles. I keep Zovirax on hand to treat outbreaks. Zovirax and similar meds work well if started at the first sign of symptoms.

19. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I had a very mild case of shingles last year and, like ke4yyd, I thought they were insect bites. Also my dermatologist identified it as shingles. I don't recall taking any medicine or anything for it, but my dermatologist did urge me to get the shingles vaccine..... which I did.

My insurance paid for the shot, but I think I had to pay $25 for the office visit. If the vaccine keeps me from getting a bad case of shingles, it will certainly be worth it.

Easystreet

20. esoxhunter

Getting the shot now wouldn't help. However, when this runs its course I think I will get the shot to keep it from recurring. Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.