1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT- Scope for a pistol

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duckhunter331, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

My dad just came into a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45colt/45 ACP. He wanted to put a scope on it for deer hunting. We want to get a scope for it, we already know that it will be a Leupold, but I would like some suggestions for power. I've heard that a 4X would be too much, would a 2X be better? Just asking for an opinion. Also, what kind of scope mounts are out there. It does not have the dovetails on it. I found ones that both use the rear sight screw hole, but one attaches to the barrel (Williams Sight Company) and the other one attaches to the frame (Weaver). If anybody has any experience with either one please let me know likes/dislikes. And what would be the maximum range with the 45 Colt, don't know what bullet grain, also open for suggestions there also. Thanks in advance.

Travis

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Travis, go with the 2 power, that's my preference. I use them on several S&W 44 mags. The 4 power is too much. As far as the mount system, go with the one that uses the sight hole. Don't know if ya have to drill and tap another hole in the Ruger or not. That is what I use on my Smiths and work well. Don't know the effective range of the 45 Colt, but they can be hand loaded up to and beyond a 44 Mag. Hope this might help.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The higher power pistol scopes should be reserved for varmint, target and long range handguns, especially when shot off of a rest or even a bipod. For deer hunting, your range is going to be best at 50 yards, and 100 yards is a long shot. A lower power scope is going to work better. It also works best for a handgun without a rest.

4. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

4X will let you know just how unsteady your hold is. I started with a 4X and went down to a 3X on my 357 Colt. Shot a little practice then sold the gun. Never had a need or use for it. Used B Square mounts which I still have. Ray.......X may still be better.

5. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

trapshooting hippie,

Both mounts I have seen use the sight hole. The one that uses the frame system I seen on Midway USA, the other I seen on Gunbroker. If you type in Ruger Blackhawk scope mounts on either one you can see what I mean. I really know nothing about pistol hunting for deer, what grain bullet would you recomment and about what speed? Like I said, I really know nothing about pistols. Thanks in advance.

Travis

6. trapshootin hippie

Travis, my pistol shooting consists mosty of Cowboy Action Shooting, which uses a slow moving bullet, but I believe factory loads for the 45 consist mostly at 250 grain loads, maybe more if jacketed bullets are used. We don't load for speed, just the lack of it for reduced recoil for fast follow up shots.I have shot pistols for 50 years and I believe that if you are a new pistol shooter, and using a scope, you will find it nearly impossible to hold the pistol steady. The scope will magnify any movement on your part. With practice ya can get smooth with it. Just practice holding it steady and shoot from a rest.

7. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

Thanks for the info, how light of a bullet could you load and still get some accuracy? I think that if you go to light it won't stabilize the bullet, but I'm not sure. In my way of thinking, if you have a lighter bullet going faster it would be better. But, if it won't group fairly well it doesn't pay. Thanks again.

Travis

8. trapshootin hippie

From my experience with the 45, stay with the heavy bullet. I have loaded 140 grain bullets that shoot low at 25 yards.

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

My serious hunting loads were always 250 grain or heavier jacketed hollow point bullets with a max charge of H110. It has a bit of muzzle flash, But will get the job done.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.