1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: SATALITE INTERNET SERVICE ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shotgunpeople, Feb 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

You guys and gals are always helpful here and I am looking into a IP that will give me good, reliable service (Better than this AOL). We surf very moderatly and do the normal emails...I can't get youtube and downloads take forever with AOL so we want to get something that will be better for these things also.

I have been looking at Hughsnet that goes along with the DISH network. Seems as though the basic package is the one we should get for a one computer home at $49.95/mo.

Would you please comment if you have had experiences with this, or another company. Also is this something we can take along in the motor home when we travel?

Thanks for any input / advice folks..At this time we are seeking a lot of information before we go for it.

Dave in SC

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

I'm "in the business" and satellite internet really sucks. Expensive, both for the equipment and the service. There are usually download limits each day. I know a LOT of people who have tried it here in Vermont and no one has ever been happy. Faster than dial-up, but that's about the limit of good things to say. Email if any more questions...kb1iix@arrl.net

Bruce

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

We've had Verizon's service ever since I was dragged kicking and screaming onto the Internet by our son, who needed access to complete some of his schoolwork. We started with their dial-up service, moved to DSL when it became available and last year, went to their FIOS service as soon as they ran the line past our home. I'm sure we've had outages but I can't remember any, so they obviously have been few in number, and the speed seems very good as nothing is too large to download.

I'm glad to see you dumping AOL, too. I'm sure you know they are horribly anti-gun and every gun owner who uses their service is offsetting the NRA dues contributions of many others.

Good luck getting rid of them, however. Since you don't pay your AOL bill - they TAKE their charges from you via a credit card - they will ignore your requests for termination and you will have to cancel the credit card you used to establish your account in order to rid yourself of them. I know that first-hand, as my wife activated the "free" account that came with our son's computer against my wishes and that's what I eventually had to do.

I had one interesting conversation with an AOL employee during my attempts to end our relationship. I asked the lady why AOL does not invoice their customers as Verizon and other ISPs do. Using a tone of voice that intimated that I was a real dummy, she told me how many subscribers they have and that sending each one a paper invoice every month would not only be cost-prohibitive, it would require the cutting down of a forest of trees. I remined her that each and every one of their subscribers obviously has email, which means they could send their invoices electronically and continue to accept payment via a credit card, so not one cent in postage and not one piece of paper would be expended.

The silence on her end of the line was deafening. I really think she had been so successfully brainwashed that she never had considered another option to her employer's policy.

Ed

4. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Dave, I live in the country and have had Hughsnet for a couple of years,I haven't had much trouble. I do have trouble with the signal during sever thunder storms, but that is about it. You might check out Verizon, they have a transmitter that you just plug into your computer, if you are close to a tower it seems to work alright. John

5. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

for TV only, we like the quality of DISH. Internet provider is Time Warner. Now how to get rid of AOL... It is difficult to transfer the address directory and the other direct files as they are AOL's. So I just stick with them... not thrilled, but once started don't have the skills to get rid of them. Fred

6. warren

warren Member

I agree with everything said about AOL same type of thing happened to me. I have had AT&T and Verizon both and they give good service my only gripe is they get you into one of their "contracts" where they furnish you with equipment at a dicount and you are obligated by some unwritten contract, if you don't agree, tough, and they damage your credit rating. Just make sure it's what you want and that you understand their terms. The same goes for their wireless hookups.warren

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The NRA uses AOL, so they can't be that bad ... Send them and E Mail and see what you get in return ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. AveragEd

Fred, Time-Warner is AOL's parent company and every bit as anti-gun as AOL!

As far as their "files," I guess I don't understand the problem. The Internet with AOL is the same one I visit with Verizon. I know when I finally ridded us of that AOL connection, our son just did the same things he always did and visited the same sites he always had.

I do have two friends who are shooters and use AOL only because they travel the country on business and often the only connection available is through AOL. But if you don't have a need like that for AOL, why support them? When I buy a new computer, the FIRST thing I do after installing the anti-virus software of my choosing is delete any program with "AOL" in its name.

Ed

9. AveragEd

AOL is on the NRA's anti-gun list! Why would they use it? I have trouble believing that and will contact them about it.

Okay, I sent an inquiry to the NRA. Now Bill, while I was typing that message to the NRA, it occured to me that you have defended the use of AOL by gun owners in the past. If I am wrong, please accept my apology. But if not, perhaps that is why you receive email with an AOL tag.

Ed

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have the satellite internet through hughesnet,..its ok except in hard rain, thunderstorms etc..beats nothing when they cant string you up

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Very interesting cross section of things here. I am going to keep reading and "Maybe"
    attempt to get out of AOL and into something better...By attempt I mean "Cancel" their contract...

Average Ed: How ya coming along with that finger ??? Been a while since we emailed about it and I got curious.

Thanks everyone, Dave in SC..(Former New York)

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ed,
    I am not sure if I still have the E Mail from the NRA but if I do I will post it or mail it to you ... I seldom keep things like that when they are trying to get a life Member to rejoin ... I use AOL because its the best for where I live and thats just the way it is ... I think you would be surprised if you even knew how many shooters and gun people used AOL, simply the best thing going ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. AveragEd

Dave, I was supposed to have it surgically repaired in early January but had to cancel the appointment due to work concerns. I will reschedule the operation but probably not until next winter. It still works and as long as I don't try to make a fist with that hand, I'm okay.

Bill, I somehow cannot comprehend how an anti-gun company can be "the best" for any gun owner!

Ed

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If I have to explain it you wouldn't understand besides that I don't have the time ... Choice is what America is all about, I make mine, you make yours ... You are Happy, I am Happy, thats the way it should be ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. AveragEd

Knowing that a fellow gun owner contributes to an anti-gun company makes other gun owners very UNhappy...

Give me a try on that explanation sometime you aren't faced with time constraints. I'm pretty fair at understanding things and would love to hear your rationale.

Ed

16. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Ed, give a look at OUTDOORSUNLIMITED.NET for a isp. They are who I switched to to get away from aol years ago. plus part of the monthly fee goes to the outdoors organization of your choice. NWTF, NRA, etc. very good for dial-up with lots of nr's and even though I've gone to DSL, I still use them for my home page, and kept them for my email provider for a very modest fee.

Bob

17. AveragEd

Thanks, Bob. I'm locked into a two-year contract with Verizon for their FIOS telephone, Internet, TV and wireless phone services which I'm very happy with. But I will mention that ISP in an article, as I recently had a reader request for another column on anti-gun companies and it's hard to find for-real pro-gun companies.

Ed

18. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Ahhhh, I have a CARDINAL RULE, that says when I pay, I can make the choice ... If you want to pay, I'll use what ever you want to pay for as long as its equal to or better than what I pay for ... If that makes you or any other gun owner unhappy, its you and or them that has the problem, not me ... I drive a Jap Truck and my wife has a Korean car, that'll give you something else to choke on ... I am considering buying a Korean SUV, but I like the Jap SUV I have now so much I don't want to part with it and its still under warrantee until 2012 or 70,000 miles more ... I was at a shoot yesterday and I would say approx 40% of the vehicles in the parking area are imports made right here in America, by Americans ... They also had many American cars made in Canada and Mexico to some degree so that ups the percentage but who's counting ..?

I support you and everyone having a choice and defend my choice of who I choose to do business with weather you or they like it or not ... AOL just happens to be the best application I can get for what I use it for, thats good enough reason for me and to those that don't like it I will make the same offer I made above, you pay and I will use it as long as its equal to or better etc,etc,etc ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I checked into Hughesnet, the monthly charges were going to be $99.95 plus tax and service charges whatever those would be ... I guess they bring the thing down and fix it and shoot it back into the atmosphere or something so thats probably where the service charges come in ... In the mean time I'm stuck with making shooters Unhappy but I figure they will get over it at sometime in the future but if not (Fill in the blank) "Tough S____" ... I am a reasonable man and will consider any and all offers from anyone who don't like me having AOL as an Internet Service Provider (ISP) ... I will give the same consideration to any offers of vehicles so I and my Wife (OnStar, her new nickname) can make all the shooters and non shooters alike Happy ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. AveragEd

Bill, you don't have to bother to respond again, but I didn't get much in the way of an explanation of how AOL is "better" from that last tirade. If an ISP connects you to the Internet at a faster speed and/or lower cost, then it's "better." The last I heard from anyone, AOL didn't have much in the way of broadband, so I doubt that their speed is "better." And I'd gladly pay a few bucks more per month to know that I'm not supporting Handgun Control Inc. or some other left-wing group.

Where a product is made is less of a concern to me than the company's stand on the Second Amendment.

Yes, you are right. It's your money and you are free to spend it as you please. If donating to some anti-gun outfit pleases you, well, it's a free country - for now, anyway.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.