1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Sandhill Cranes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Nov 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Ah yes. Ribeye in the sky. A pity they don't allow them to be shot legally here in Michigan making poachers out of so many people here. Farmers are getting really tired of their fields being decimated by a bunch of these birds that have discovered that atached to each of those little green shoots is a kernel of corn. And wow, they're all planted in nice neat little rows.

Jeff

2. BMC

BMC Member

Saw some cool footage of a pair of Golden Eagles taking down a SH crane at about 500 feet in the air. It was Planet Earth on Discovery channel over the weekend.

3. jennylin

jennylin Member

My favorite book of ALL TIME is Sandy by Dayton O. Hyde. The true story of a rare sandhill crane that joined our family.

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

A bunch of them at high altitude is quite a sight. Little white ribbons floating high up in the air...but you can hear the racket all the way to the ground if you listen close.

5. new loader

new loader Member

Are they there all the time? Morning or evening? What time of day is best for viewing?

6. JDEERE

JDEERE TS Member

Great practice with a 22-250 when they are cleaning out your corn row.

7. hairy

hairy TS Member

I know they hunt them in North Dakota. Lyle Glessing makes wonderful crane jerky.

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I dunno about Ribeye in the Sky. Saskatchewan used to have a season on them maybe they still do but I remember the Sandhill Crane recipe where you cook em up for hours with veggies and two big rocks and when done you throw away the meat and eat the rocks. This year I had millions of huge swans fly over me low and there is no season but they do have a one swan per season limit in Montana.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Two years ago in the spring when I was raking leaves out of the patch we were getting ready for flowers on the farm about 40 miles south of the area that was mentioned I had the pleasure of having a skein of crane fly over me and they were busy announceing their presence. What a sight and they are huge. In all my years I had never seen more than a pair together and to see all those and tree top high too. They make a call you won't forget. I can remember when in our kids school magazine"The Weekly Reader" they were busy trying to save the last of the Whooping cranes I believe they were down to 39 and now they are back big time. It took a massive effort of states and federal plus all the private donations of time and money to nurse these great animals back to numbers hopefully our grandchildren can enjoy, Rev thanks for the memories. Dan

10. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I thought I should clear up a few things about Crane hunting. First, do not send a dog after an injured bird, the birds try to peck for the dog's eyes with that sharp beak and will injure your dog. Next, the meat is a dark meat that tasts like deer, these birds are not waterfoul(they eat grain mostly) and are not like nasty ducks and geese. Third, they fly fast, they only look slow; if you ever see one next to a mallard, they leave the duck in the dust, (gun lead can run as much as 20 yards ahead of the bird). Hunting them is difficult; they have color vision and see as well as an eagle. Even empty shells on the ground will keep them away. They are not waterfoul and you can still use lead shot in most areas. They are kevlar lined; copper coated lead #2 shot bounces off their chest. Lastly, don't pluck them, the only usable meat on one is the breast. AJ

11. CharlieHill

CharlieHill TS Member

Taste like a cross between bald eagle and spotted owl!

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Nasty ducks and geese? Don't you know how to cook? They are my favorite.

13. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I agree with Tripod, Ducks and Geese are very good if prepared correctly. I eat a dozen ducks a year. Ben

14. Landshark

Landshark Member

I fry up the Sandhill Crane breasts like venison backstrap. I have one mounted in my trophy room. They are HUGE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.