1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Ruger Security Six

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FIB, Aug 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FIB

FIB Member

I have been keeping an eye out for a nice used .357 that was reasonably priced. I stopped at my GM last night and they had an EX. condition (looked like new out of box) Ruger Security Six. It is blued, with a 4" barrel and obviously .357. The price is/was $ 195.00. I have it on hold. The revolver will probably not be used too much, more of a home defense, or if in a bad area type of pistol. Any experiences with this model? TIA....Randy

2. rrose

rrose TS Member

Randy
    That is a good deal on the Ruger Security six. These are built like most Ruger products which is like a tank, you will never wear it out and they normally shoot much better than you can hold them. I have had several and wish I still had one for the same purpose as you are looking for one. If you do not buy this please let me know where it is so I can.
    Randy

3. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Randy for your reply. I thought that it was a good deal and the revolver did appear to be well made. The salesman told me the "Security Six" was more desirable than the "Service Six" that was introduced later (true or not???)..Regards...Randy

4. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

That is a really good deal if the pistol really is in excellent condition. I bought one new, with a 6 inch barrel, for $88 in 1972. I still have it and wouldn't sell it for $195. The trigger pull is not as good as a S&W out of the box and the blueing is not as nice as my Smiths that I bought at the same time, but it is a good gun for what you want. Nothing has gone wrong with mine, but, then again, nothing has gone wrong with any of my revolvers.

The Security Six was the first double action that Ruger made. The Service Six came later and doesn't have adjustable sights.

5. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks Finprof for your input. The revolver truly looks just like it came out of the box....not a scratch on it. I called Ruger to determine when it was mfgd and they said June '82. I'm planning on buying it...Regards...Randy

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

$200 is a very good price and this gun will give you excellent service. They are a bit on the large side for CCW but all that mass makes them a pleasure to shoot even with full house .357 ammo. Buy it and shoot the heck out of it, you can't hurt it.

7. FIB

FIB Member

Thanks to everyone for their replies...Randy

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Randy,

I have owned one for over 30 years. I bought it used and it has served very well over the years. It has a smooth action and is accurate enough for serious social work. The Service Six was a fixed sight version. In Blue or Stainless, I'd consider buying another if it were in that good condition. Especially for less than $200.

9. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

This is my wife's night stand gun. She shoots it well and it will always go bang. 38+P's are a good self defense load for the house and a woman can handle the recoil. Fred

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

I had a speed six. Basically a short barreled and rounded security six with barely any sights. I found it too cumbersome for carry, and too sharp of a recoil for the 357. The longer barreled version like the security six would make a fine home gun, and I'd stick to good old 38 wadcutters to be on the pleasant side for shooting, and more than enough power if necessary. I sold my speed six, and have gone through a dozen different pistols over the years for carry. For 38, I'd rather have a smaller and lighter five shot, but for some reason I just like to carry my Model 629. I'm a knucklehead.

11. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

If it hasn't been messed with, Randy, you'll love it. Very nice revolvers, solid & dependable, smooth actions. The Security, Speed & Police Service Six's (I have all 3) are all essentially the same, except for sights. The 4" is perfect for all-around use. Good gun & price. Phil E

12. spritc

spritc Active Member

I carried the 2.75" model for 11 years in another life. It never failed me when needed. I gave that one to my brother about ten years ago and missed it so much I bought another one, new in the box. You can never go wrong with a security six, it doesn't matter what you shoot through it.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting ruger security six