1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT Ruger Pistol

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by RickM18, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickM18

RickM18 TS Member

I am thinking about buying a Ruger pistol are they any good?

2. james25889

james25889 Member

ruger gp 100 is great i would stay away from any of there autos though

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have had good luck with any of their autos. Have a P85 that was shot by 21 students qualifying for the CHL for 50 rounds each, never a hiccup, and no cleaning in between. Same for the 45 auto-P90. Ruger stands behind their guns forever.

4. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Ruger is top notch, you cant go wrong. Beats a S&W or Colt anyday!

5. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

Their .22 pistols, revolver or auto, are first rate and will last a lifetime. You really have to go handle them to figure out which grip fits best as the standard frame and the 22/45 frame are quite different. The single six is great but the grip is somewhat on the small side, so depending on hand size, aftermarket grips may need consideration.
    As far as the centerfire stuff goes, they are all built like a tank and will last longer than you'll spend shooting. The autos, more specifically, the P series guns will last a long time but handle like a brick and the accuracy is average or less normally. Not a lot of time on the SR9 yet but the trigger stinks and the goofy thing with not being able to pull the trigger with a mag out or damage will be done is rather odd. Ok, stupid.
    The guns are tough and based on the extreme uasge at a local indoor range, will really hang in there and that's for autos and revolvers.
    The GP100 guns are tough as nails and great guns. The action will work well but generally doesn't get into the same "smooth" class as the Smiths or Colts.
    If accuracy or good handling are more important, you might wish to consider other brands but that can be more a factor of fit to the hand than anything else.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Yeah, top notch. Their LCP ("Little Copied Pistol") couldn't even copycat Kel-Tec right. At least the Kel-Tec is reliable and not subject to a recall.

7. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Ruger is as good a pistol as there is in the price range. The LCP has been recalled for a hammer safety problem, kinda lame reason if you look into it. I have shipping and pick up on the way. For your trouble they will give you an extended mag. Mine has been shooting well and has digested over 500 rounds and is as good as either on of my Keltecs. Customer service is way better than Kelteck.

I also have an 22 and 9mm both are fine guns for the price range.

8. Desert Breeze

Desert Breeze TS Member

Rick, When you say pistol you are saying semi auto. Revolver is a better choice from Ruger. GP100 cleans up nice action wise, but you can't believe what they leave in there. With pistols, the distance from the center of the bore to the web of your hand has a real effect on muzzle flip and felt recoil. The higher the bore the more flip, and the harder it is to track your front sight between shots. Really important if you are in a hurry! Brownk80 is right, 5speed, you need to take some of these handguns apart and see what is in there. They all leave filing and rough surfaces which are detrimental to good trigger pull. If you can't keep the sight on the target you can't hit it.

9. Church Key

Church Key TS Member

My main hobby is Cowboy Action Shooting, where Ruger single actions are very popular, as they really work well and are reasonably priced. I have several pairs in different calibers/sizes. Anyhow, I suggest you go to the Ruger forum and hang out there for a while, then decide for yourself.

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Brian and Lead man, thanks for the recall info as Lead man told me. "Go to the Ruger site and fill out the LCP recall form, and Ruger will send you a shipping box and postage to return your pistol to them for upgrade.

To any others that may be unaware. Ruger is recalling the LCP pistols with a serial number prefix 370----. J.Woolsey

11. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Had 2 454 casulls Super Red Hawks First one I shot 6 times and had to drive brass out with a wood dowel. I fired 6 more and 3 went back in gun. They fixed it with a new cylender. It shot 4in high at 25yds. I found another one and bought it. It had a sticky cylinder also but shot ok so I switched cylinders and sold the first one. S&W came out with the 460S&W. THERE IS NO compairison.If you want a GOOD gun go S&W. Colt dont make much new stuff now but the Gold Cup is top of the line. rick

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

ricks1:

I once had a Super Red Hawk in .44 mag. I ran two cylinders of Remington 240 grain soft points thru it. Shortly thereafter, I sold the gun along with what remainded of the first box of bullets.

That's how I got my name...

Recoil Sissy

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The difference is Ruger revolvers have investment cast parts which get little or no fitting to the gun. S&W revolvers have machined parts which are hand fitted to each gun. At least that's the way it used to be. Nothing better than a hand fitted and tuned 5 screw S&W. HMB

14. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

Calling the Ruger as better than the Smith or Colt isn't exactly right but it's not exactly wrong either. The Rugers are much stronger frame and cylinder wise and will generally go much longer than the other two before they need any sort of work. The Colt's just weren't that strong and it didn't seem to take all that much to shoot one out of time. They were slick guns and well made but seemed a little soft or weak in the timing area. The Smith's would stand up to more than the Colts but just don't have as much metal in them as the Ruger. However, it's nearly impossible to get the Ruger trigger up to the level of the other two. Accuracy wise they're all probably in the same neighborhood although if you happen to get the right Python, they're amazing but if you shoot a lot, it'll be a bit of a maintenance issue.

The Smith revolvers are not hand fitted any more. MIM parts and better machining processes have negated the need for that. Most people say they want the "older" Smith revolvers but because they are better but I'm inclined to say that's a farce. The new guns have better tolerances and are more consistent in their assembly.

Sorry but the LCP is a waste of time and money but hey, buy it and carry it and if it doesn't work it's no big deal, only your life depends on it.

15. Trap4

Trap4 Member

Have an SR9 and like it very much.

Trap-4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.