1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Ruger 10/22 mags

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Dec 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Does anybody make a 10-22 mag that works? Ruger sure as crap doesn't. I have 2 of their 10-22 rifles and 3 mags. All are %$#@ from the word go. None will reliably feed all 10 rounds without half sticking down somewhere in the body of the mag. I've cleaned them, blown them out with air compressor, carb cleaner, break free, PB Blaster, shooters choice, WD-40......

I've a bunch of $$ tied up in these 2 guns and about ready to s$%# can them.

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

All my 10/22 mags - manufacturer original and aftermarket (Ramline) work flawlessly in my 10/22's. If you have made a lot of mods to the guns I'd look there for the feed problem first. These are typically extremely reliable little rifles from the factory.

Joe

3. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

First thing you do is ditch the wd-40. It is a chemical oxymoron...combining a lubricant with a solvent, each doing the opposite of each other. I'd suggest starting with a pair of new mags, making sure the chamber, feed ramp, and related areas are clean and that there are no burrs on the chamber mouth and see if that doesn't cure it. I'd down to one 10-22 but have had at least one in my possession since they were introduced and have never had magazine problems. Have had scope problems if I tried to use a cheap scope. I rebarreled one with a .920 dia barrel once and had to deburr the chamber and extractor cut but it worked fine after that. I've used Ruger mags, Uncle Mike's, and others and they all worked fine. Don't can the gun if it is the mag. (All companies can make a run of duds...I'd hate to tell you about the problems with my $5500 hearing aids.)

One other thing...the dry lubed cartridges seem to work better than the greasy ones you run into, the ones that have bullets that feel oily.

4. don q

don q TS Member

And don't leave shells in the mag for an extened period of time, the springs will weaken and only about 5 shots will feed.

5. capvan

capvan Active Member

I've had a 10/22 for many years and the only problems I've ever had is with the extended mags. NEVER a problem with a factory mag. I think the problem is somewhere else, not the mag. And I have only used graphite for lube. Oil or any liquid lubricant is just asking for trouble, IMHO.
    Bruce

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Try a different brand of ammo and see what happens. HMB

7. claybrdr

The problem isn't a feed problem. The shells stick down inside the mag and never get to the feed stage. IF the shell comes to the top of the magazine, my guns feed flawlessly. I have to tap the mag on the bench for the stuck shell to come up.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Steel lips are the most reliable non-factory mag for the 10-22, other than one company that makes very expensive billet aluminum mags.<br>
    <br>
    The most reliable magazine for the 10-22 is still the factory mag.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Before you put the magazine in the gun, hold it with the lead heads at 12 o'clock and tap it 2 or 3 times on the bench. HMB

10. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The mags may be dirty or not have the spring tensioned correctly. Hit the link for some good info.

11. claybrdr

Thanks for the last directions. All of my 22s are threaded for a suppressor so that may be part of the problem. Evidently there is no way to clean the mags w/o disassembly.

12. GunCSI

GunCSI TS Member

I've had this issue a few times. You might try loosening the bolt that runs through the body of the mag. Do it very slowly and not much at a time. We've had a few that for some reason that were apparently too tight. Just kind of breaking the nut lose let them work flawlessly. May or may not work for you but it's fixed a few of them for us. Banging them on the bench does not help at all and only risks dinging up the mag body. If you've cleaned them and the problem still exists, then I'd try loosening the bolt.

13. steele

steele TS Member

GUNCSI is right. I had the same problems. I found that the allen head screw in the center of the mags were a little too tight, causing them to bind. I just loosened the screws a bit, just to reduce a little tension, & all should be fine.

14. claybrdr

Thanks for all the ideas. I took one apart and it was not too dirty but at least I know thats not the problem going forward. I'll check to make sure the allen srew is not too tight as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.