1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:: ROLEX watch - just how accurate are they

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Turnpike Mike, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turnpike Mike

Turnpike Mike TS Member

I have always wanted a "real" ROLEX watch (I already know what responses I might get... don't waste you money). My question is; being an automatic winding watch how good of time do they keep (i.e., lose a minute a day, week, month, year)?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had my vintage Rolex for years. A real "tic-toc" does not keep perfect time. They lose/gain around three to five seconds a day. Mine loses five, after a service. If I had known that, I would still have bought it. Nice watch!

3. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

I've got a stainless Oyster Perpetual that I gave $500. for about 18 years ago.

It has had one service in that time about 10 years ago when our cat (since deceased) knocked it off my dresser and cracked the crystal ($165. OUCH) but it has always kept time within 15 seconds or less per day .

I use it as a dress watch so it gets infrequent winding, don't know if that helps or hurts over the long haul.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

But will it take a licking and keep on ticking?

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

My Submariner runs 1.5 to 2.5 seconds fast per day. That is plenty accurate for me and pretty amazing when you think that it is just done with springs and gears.

Each model has different characteristics. If they are a "certified chronometer" they must meet certain accuracy standards. I don't remember if all of the models come with this or not.

Do yourself a favor and buy from a certified dealer, and NOT second hand.

-Aaron

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The thing about a Rolex watch is workmanship..Ive been in the watch & clock business for a long time and Rolex always stood for quality. What you have is a high quality mechanical Swiss movement encased in a bank vault. Stainless & gold combo. makes a nice watch. Or if you can afford to splurge go for the President. Would look great next to your Gold inlaid K80 Gerald

7. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The thing about a Rolex watch is workmanship..Ive been in the watch & clock business for a long time and Rolex always stood for quality. What you have is a high quality mechanical Swiss movement encased in a bank vault. Stainless & gold combo. makes a nice watch. Or if you can afford to splurge go for the President. Would look great next to your Gold inlaid K80 Gerald

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My stainless Datejust is pretty darn accurate, but I didn't buy it to keep perfect time, I bought it to treat myself after winning a sales contest. Like a car, I think they need to be worn regularly to keep them running well.

I only wear non-quartz watches - I have an old Wittnauer from my Grandad and an older Corum from my father - both require winding. I also on occasion will carry my Grandad's old Illinois pocket watch... they all keep time well enough and they all have required repair and cleaning at one time or another.

If you want to treat yourself to a nice watch, do it! (not that I have to tell you that)

Jay

9. eagleonePA

eagleonePA TS Member

Only buy from a ROLEX DEALER. Only have it serviced at a ROLEX Dealer. When You are not wearing put it on a winder. I have a three place winder and all three Rolex keep great time. I have them serviced at least every 7-8 years at a ROLEX dealer. The average cost is in the 150-175 range. The watch that I wear the most is a Seiko, no one will cut Your hand off for a Seiko.
    Good Luck and God Bless, Bill Ivins

10. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I bought my Rolex Submariner in 1983 and wore it every day for about 7 years....it was always losing or gaining time and the bracelet and clasp were a bit flimsy and kept needing adjustment....It now needs a restoration which will run about $1000 and so it stays parked in the safe and I wear a Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive which is astonishingly accurate and has a better bracelet and clasp than anything I've ever seen on a Rolex.

11. Urbans

Urbans Member

Rolex dealers will discount new Rolex watches, depending on which model and make. I bought a 18k gold and stainless Submariner in 2004, it listed for $7200. and I bought it for $6250.00 plus tax. I agree that you should buy from a Rolex dealer. Hope this helps.

12. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

If you really want to know the correct time, do not use a watch, use your cell phone or GPS. A battery driven SEIKO is more accurate than my old Rolex Presidential but it is not in the same class and does not have nearly the stories to tell.

13. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

Never owned a real Rolex ( have had two replicas and they were pretty darned good timepieces) I bought a Zodiak Gold Point ( stainless and 18 k gold) auto winder about 13 years ago and it has never been reset to correct the time except for when I took it in to get it cleaned once ( cost to clean about $100)
    The watch cost me $700 and I would buy another new one today if I could find one.

14. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

Never owned a real Rolex ( have had two replicas and they were pretty darned good timepieces) I bought a Zodiak Gold Point ( stainless and 18 k gold) auto winder about 13 years ago and it has never been reset to correct the time except for when I took it in to get it cleaned once ( cost to clean about $100)
    The watch cost me $700 and I would buy another new one today if I could find one.

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Most accurate watches are the "atomic" sateliite watches from J.C. Penney. Absolute accuracy daily... never off and resets itself at 2:00 AM from the satellite from Colorado. Or just use your cell phone. Fred

16. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

Ah yes, a Rolex, a Perazzi and reloads using cheap components that some how turnout better than STSs. I think I am getting a contact high.

17. joshif

joshif TS Member

I tried one and still no 1800 straight. They are not accurate. It caused me to miss after 509 straight.

18. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

I have had a Submariner since 1985. It has had a service once to replace the broken crystal. It's been used Scuba diving, driving race cars, spelunking in caves, and mountain climbing. It is off 3-4 minutes every three months or so. If I really need to know what time it is I look at my cell phone or computer. AJ

19. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

I've worn my Rolex Submariner "no-date" almost daily since Feb. 1998, and I have never had it serviced. I compare it almost daily to the NISTIME 32 Bit TCP Time Client on my computer, and it is usually well within 5 seconds of the NISTIME server. I paid $2,500.00 for it back in '98, but during my Air Force days back in the late 70's, the same watch was $600.00 in the Eglin AFB exchange. Right now, the new ones are going for about $3,600.00, so there is some long-term investment value in a Rolex, and I have the original box, booklet, anchor, and paperwork, including the Rolex jewelers appraisal, which is a must have. - JoeBerg

20. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Joe

I have done the same, I am on my second Rolex and in about 2 years will trade up for another one.

Ronbo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.