1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

**OT** Rock River Arms AR-15

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by InsureGuy, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InsureGuy

InsureGuy Member

I know many of you posses far more guns than the ones you use for trap. Thats why I am asking this question. I am looking to buy an AR-15 here locally from Rock River. I guess I don't understand the difference between the 5.56 and the 223. My initial thought was that they are the same. But, I am guessing not. Can one gun fire both types of rounds ? Or is there a receiver capable of utilizing either of these rounds ? Your help is appreciated.

Jason

2. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do a Google search and you will find the difference between a .223 and a 5.56MM. There is a chamber used by some makers tnat will enable you to safely use either type of ammo.
    Fred Wiedemann

3. les morgan

les morgan TS Member

Most Rock Rivers have a Wylde chamber which will shoot both. Check RR website for details.

4. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

I would check with Rock River first before buying.
    MY self I would order a 204 upper, its a lot faster and flater shooting than the 223 or the 5.56mm.

5. oz

oz Active Member

5.56 is a better choice. check ar15.com for more info. oz

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

5.56 will also run .223.

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

5.56 develops higher pressures than .223. They are built to take it.

I believe almost all if not all Rock Rivers are the wlyde chamber. Just call they will tell you.

I would stay away from the .204. Too small for any bigger varmints and to damn expensive to shoot through an AR.

Nick

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Lots of cheap .223-5.56 ammo.

.204 ??

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have 2 Rock River AR rifles, 1 national match and a LAR8 308 varmint. I also have Bushmasters and Colts and they don't match up in quality or performance. The difference between a 223 and a 5.56 chambered gun is the throat lead angle. The 223 has a shorter lead compared to the longer one in a 5.56 chamber, thats why shooting a 5.56 in a 223 rifle builds more pressure when fired. The Rock Rivers are chambered in 5.56 the Bushmasters 223/5.56 and the Colt match targets in 223.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get one with the 5.56mm chambering. 5.56 guns can fire both. You'll never find cheap surplus military ammo for plinking in .223 chamber its always 5.56 because thats what the military and Nato use if i'm not mistaken.

The .204 is a great round. Reserve it for long range varmit. Plinking with .204 will put you in the poor house and i think the majority of AR users plink with them.

11. front242

front242 Member

5.56 will shoot both .223 and 5.56 military stuff. The .223 should only fire .223 not the 5.56 for the pressure and other reasons stated above. The Wylde chamber used by RRA is supposedly something that will fire both effectively. RRA builds good stuff.

Tim O.
    F²4²

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

The early Bushmasters that were pre-Remington(Cerberus)with the Wylde chamber are great guns...no comparison to the new guns

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I have a Remington R15 in ".223 Rem" (which acording to Bushmaster is 5.56 despite what Remington had stamped on the barrel). It's a tack driver. It's a myth that post-Cerberus guns aren't accurate.

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Glad you got a shooter Brian..mine is a tack driver too but I like shooting it best with the 338 Federal upper..serious Horsepower for big critters...we need more groundhogs to practice on out east

15. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Rock River is the best of the mediocre crop....better than Bushmaster, Ruger, DPMS....SW have better triggers...but RRAs are favored....

If you want something better for a little more money: Daniel Defense.

Of course, BCM, Noveske, LMT, Colt are even a bit better.....

LWRC: If you have more money

Many guys are very happy with their RRAs.....but I would buy DD!

P.S. There is a glut....it is a buyer's market right now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.