1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT:Ripped off in Montreal!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by rich A, Sep 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rich A

rich A TS Member

Just got back from a Caribou hunting trip in far northern Quebec. We got into Montreal, QB on the afternoon of 8-31-07, Friday. We stayed at a hotel near the airport. Within two hours our truck was broken into as was two others. It was full day light when it occurred. The person at the desk advised us we would have to go to the police station to report the theft. We did. I understand that two days after we flew north another truck was stolen and another broken into. We were advised that this happens all the time. Can this be true? Dick

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Canada is the car theft capital of North America and has been every year since 1996. According to Statistics Canada, one car is stolen every three minutes. Car theft makes up more than one third of all property crimes in this country and costs consumers, police, insurance companies and the government more than $1 billion annually.

Cars in cities along the major waterways such as Toronto, Montreal, Halifax and Vancouver are more likely to be stolen. This is because more than 30 per cent of stolen cars in Canada are exported to other countries. The rest are given false identification numbers and resold to unsuspecting consumers or chopped up for parts. But that's not to say landlocked cities are immune. Over the past decade theft rates have tripled in Regina and more than quadrupled in Winnipeg.

And just because you drive a mid-priced, 4-door sedan, don't think it's not a target. Economy cars are just as likely to be stolen as luxury cars. The Vehicle Information Centre of Canada reports the top 3 most frequently stolen vehicles in 2003 were the Hyundai Tiburon (FX) 2DR, Acura Integra 2DR and the BMW X5 4DR.

------------------------------

Thieves in Montreal Targeting Cars from U.S.

Like many northern New Englanders, Burlington, Vermont contractor Greg Giro likes to make an occasional trip to take in some big-city life in Montreal.

But increasingly, they are being targeted by car thieves, say Canadian authorities and a U.S. insurance industry group that tracks the crimes. Sophisticated organized crime car-theft rings target U.S. cars because they usually lack the tracking devices and other anti-theft technology that Canadian insurance companies require, investigators said.

Giro got the bad news three hours after parking in a Montreal hotel's garage. He noticed he had forgotten his reading glasses and went to retrieve them from his truck, a 2006 Toyota Tundra that he had just bought for about $28,000 in January.

It was gone.

"I went through the whole parking garage because I just couldn't believe it,'' Giro said.

He called police and reported the theft. Detectives told him his truck most likely would follow a common path for vehicles snagged by organized car theft rings operating in Canadian cities. It would soon be packed into a shipping container and loaded onto a freighter bound for some distant port — often in the Third World.

City detectives acted on a tip about three weeks later and opened two shipping containers just before they were to be loaded onto a Ghana-bound freighter. Among four vehicles inside was Giro's truck, placing him among the fewer than 2 percent of Canadian car theft victims whose vehicles are recovered.

"He was extremely lucky,'' said Heidi Jordan, a senior special agent with the National Insurance Crime Bureau. "That does not happen.''

Northern New England residents have lost about 100 vehicles to Canadian thieves in the last 18 months, Jordan said. Many are late-model and expensive makes, with their average value about $30,000, she said.

Detective Sgt. Robert Dimatteo of the Montreal Police Department, the lead investigator in the theft of Giro's truck, said methods used by the car-theft rings range from smashing a window and hot-wiring the engine to using a tow-truck or high-tech tools designed to defeat car alarms.

He said the theft-rings consider it a low-risk crime. "It's easy money, and the sentencing is not as high as other crimes here,'' he said. "There's a lot of money to be made.''

Giro said he still likes to travel north, but has adopted a new strategy. "I've been taking my old truck to Montreal.''

3. alpine

alpine TS Member

My guess is that the Canadian Police aren't to smart. If they were to set up a few "bait" cars they would soon have the problem under conrtol. But maybe the car theft rings are paying to well to put out "bait" cars.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Well I love our Northern neighbors. But they should get a little sneeky,aggressive and punitive with this one. Jake

5. Hooked

Hooked Member

alpine, check out this link for some great video of unsuspecting car thieves stealing bait cars. Vancouver, BC was one of the first jurisdictions in North America to implement the wide use of bait cars and now has the largest fleet of bait cars in N.A. The program has been very successful and the videos are hilarious (and scary). I hope they get more of these rats.

http://www.baitcar.com/

Brian

6. Marco Polo

Marco Polo TS Member

I hope you had a good hunt unlike a group of my hunting buddies had in Quebec last year. Stay out of Froggie country. They treat Americans like crap.

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

If the law in canada knows what is going on with these stolen vehicles, why aren't they putting the brakes on the thieves? Are the cops in canada as corrupt as the mexican cops are claimed to be? I think people would be well advised to avoid canada.

8. alpine

alpine TS Member

Hooked:
    I doubt that "Vancover, BC was one of the first jurisdictions in North America to implement the wide use of bait cars", as over 20 years ago we were the first to put bait cars out. We didn't have the technology like they have today but with only enough gas to go fifty feet it worked pretty well.

Try again, the only way this type of crime continues is that the police allow it. It's just a question of wether they are lazy or being paid off.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The car thieves probably stole all of the bait cars and sold them to 3rd world countrys also to help them prevent stolen autos ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. rich A

rich A TS Member

Marco Polo; Yes we did have a great hunt. We start with a super outfitter and everything else went great. The French Canadians in the restaurants were stuffy and self-important. Probably they are poorly paid and resented being well tipped by the American tourist. And they have each other to deal with also. Dick

11. letts

letts TS Member

I have hunted in Quebec as well as Ontario, I have also snowmobiled with Canadian friends who live in Canada. They all seem to know their neighbors.
    I have been advised several times that if "IT", no matter what "IT" is, is not locked up it will be gone very soon. That goes for their stuff as well as ours.
    we flew into a friends camp a few years ago, The loggers had built a new road near by, The camp was cleaned out, everything of value was gone. We did not have a stove to ccok on, Plane was gone also, we had to make do for a week until we were picked up at our scheduled time. I have seen several remote camps with heavy duty shutters over the windows and doors. If you wish to hunt or fish in Canada you will need to accept the possibility that thiefs will visit. In spite of that I have had great times with my Canadian friends and have always been treated fist rate by the people who have hosted myself and my friends and will return any time I have the chance.

Letts

12. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

IRFNER- What makes you think Canadians are an unarmed society, just because our idiotic government currently has us registering all guns, does not mean that we do not have them!! If your government would ease up on the export of legitimate sporting firearms without having to jump through a thousand hoops $$$$ I would have several more!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Well if you guys have guns you need to start using them.It's a proven fact that lead will slow the thieves down.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.