1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Rifle scopes - anything similar to an Unertl?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You may have to resort to a cantilever mount and use a modern scope.

If you find a used Lyman Targetspot or Super Targetspot scope needing minor repairs, Parsons Scope Service can fix it. They bought out all of Lyman's remaining inventory for parts. They can do major repairs as well, but the costs go up very quickly.

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Actually there are a lot less than 40 manufacturers. Much of the optics are made in China now, no matter what the brand.

Many of them in the same factory. I did run across a forum or website somewhere that told this in greater detail but I can't find it at the moment.

HM

3. bluehaze

bluehaze Member

SPORTSHOT.

Unertl Optical Company

2900 S. Highland Dr.

Bldg 18, Ste. C

Las Vegas, NV. 89109

702 369 4092

702 369 4571 Fax

I'm sure they are still in business, as a friend had a Ultra varmint worked on a few month ago.

Chuck

4. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

They were still making sniper scopes for the services last I heard. I thought they were in Pennsylvania.

5. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

There is no need for a long scope with bases on the barrel. I shot for many years with a Leupold on the receiver with rings that fit the grooves. Also,
    full length adapter bases are avaiable for the Avschutz receiver.

Hank Cross

6. Finprof

Finprof TS Member

Anschutz has made two series of .22s over the past 50 years, 54 and 64. I have one of each, a 1712 (54) and 164 (64) with Leupold scopes mounted on the receiver. With one of the old long Unertl scopes you might have to mount it on the barrel, but I don't think it is necessary to mount a scope on the barrel with a more recent scope. The 1712 has a VARI-X III 6.5-20 EFR on it that is a terrific scope. This is probably the most common rig for serious silhouette shooters.

7. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

FWIW...trying to save money on optics is a false economy. Buy the Leupold...forget the Nikon. Lifetime warranty...though You will probably not need it.

FN

8. kolar12

kolar12 Member

B & L and Tasco also had scopes with springs on the outside.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, we had the old Unertl, Lyman, and redfields on the old Winchester 52's. No tapped holes on the receivers.

10. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I juat saw an old style scope in the Natchez shooter supplies catalog today, by Wm. Malcolm and priced $339.99. 30.5" long with mounts.

11. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Google Unertl. Buy direct from the web-site. You could cut corners but don't cut on optics..You truly do get what you pay for...my 2 cents..Larry Lockhart

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I had an Anschutz 64 with a Leupold 6.5-20x on it. Had a 2 oz trigger too. Made 200 yard kills on sage rats with it. The target knob with elevation points marked made that very easy. Not so easy was wind, which is much harder to adjust for than elevation. Because my 64 was a single shot, I rarely got a followup shot because the sage rat would usually take a dive before i could reload and correct. I eventually bought a 10-22T, and made shots out to 100 to 120 yards at best, but my kills went way up because of the ability to get off a fast followup shot in the wind. I eventually sold the Anschutz, which years later I could kick myself for. Note that 200 yard shots were not routine. I don't want to give that impression. They were possible, but there were a lot of misses due to wind. The Anschutz 64 was the only 22 rimfire I've ever had that even allowed a reasonable chance of making 200 yard shots on sage rats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

leupold scope remake of unertl scope

lyman scope repair service