1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Retumbo rifle powder

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by AveragEd, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

If you've never tried Hodgdon's Retumbo powder in your large-capacity rifle loads, you owe it to yourself to give it a try. I just returned from shooting some test loads out of a Model 700BDL in 7mm Rem Ultra Mag that has had no bedding work of any kind done. I bought the rifle used on GunBroker last year and adjusted the trigger and just made sure the barreled action fit properly into the factory wood stock.

Reloder 25 has been the most accurate powder in that rifle, so I tried it and Retumbo under 140 and 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets, which have been the most accurate bullets that would fit in the gun's magazine and throat. The test groups were all three shots at 100 yards using a Leupold VX-3 Long Range side-focus 4.5-14x40mm scope with a 30mm tube.

140-grain results: 87.0 grains RE25 = 0.838" at 3,262fps; 94.0 grains Retumbo = 0.471" at 3,388fps

150-grain results: 86.0 grains RE25 = 1.176" at 3,220fps; 92.0 grains Retumbo = 0.473" at 3,228 fps

Both groups with Retumbo were shaped like nice little clover leafs. I just thought I'd pass that info along, as I really never thought about using Retumbo before but found load data for it in the 7RUM on AmmoGuide.com and decided to give it a whirl.

Ed

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

That's some nice shootin' Ed! While I don't have any rifles that use Reloader 25 or Retumbo, it's good info to have.

I'd say that would make a nice elk gun with groupings like that.

ss

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I'll hafta look into trying this Retumbo in my Sako 300 Win Mag! Very accurate rifle with several bullets and powder combinations!

Hap

4. larryjk

larryjk Member

Retumbo works just fine in my sons 300 and 338 Ultra Mags.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As I said, I never considered using it because, as I recall, its initial intended use was in the 50BMG and I don't consider any cartridge I own to be in that category. I also have Model 700LSSs in 300RUM and 338RUM; I only shot the 300 a little and never even put a scope on the 338. This experience has me thinking about shooting those rifles.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
7rum retumbo powder
hodgdon retumbo in stock
hodgdon retumbo powder in stock
most accurate 7rum load
retumbo gunbrokers

retumbo powder for sale

retumbo powder in stock