1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OT: Rescued Standard Poodle

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fssberson, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Read a thread on here a few weeks ago about someone waiting for a Standard Poodle. We had just put our 12 year old German Shepherd Dog down and really missed an indoor dog. I knew nothing about poodles as I had always had K-9 dogs [my friends now make fun of me]. Well, we ended up getting a rescued Standard Poodle female out the infamous Fresno Rescued dogs... the police saved four of these dogs from an abusive and neglectfull puppy mill kennel where they were shooting dogs they didn't want. Poodle Rescue in So. CA. did a great job of restoring the health to these dogs. Wow! Poodles are really nice dogs, protective, sweet, smart, and fun to be around. This female, Delta [after my daughter's Tri Delta soroity] has just fit in nicely with the family, although we have a long way to go to fully socialize her and build up trust. Recommend that you look into a rescue society for your next dog.
    Fred

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a Standard Poodle. Unfortunately, I'm in NE Wisconsin. Not a lot to choose from around here. They are scary smart. And excellent hunters.

HM

3. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

halfmile -

Keep looking around for that poodle. You can't go wrong. hunting, companion, pet, guard dog - they do it all. They aren't that rare, you'll find one. Two suggestions: make sure it's a good dog from a reputable breeder, and don't get a brown one. I don't know why, but the brown color runs with a strong tendency to be hyperactive and wild. Black, cream, white, gray are all fine.

4. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

HM,
    You said, "I'm looking for a Standard Poodle. Unfortunately, I'm in NE Wisconsin. Not a lot to choose from around here."

In fact, you are in one of the great places in the world for top notch standard poodles. Probably the best HUNTING and performance poodles of all time is "Oakwinds Time to Burn" (George) owned by Jaci Bowman in Wisconsin. (Do a google search.) I think her email is jacibowman@yahoo.com . I have a standard out of George bred to a bitch owned by Carol Lieber in Green Bay. She is an incredible dog. Contact Jaci. Especially if you want a poodle that can hunt, retrieve, do agility and if you want be a show dog too, she can hook you up. You will be glad you did. Please say hello for me.
    Best Regards, Jakearoo

5. porky

porky TS Member

P3AT, What is the Poodle rescue site address?? Thanks

6. BP348

BP348 Active Member

I too give you a big thumbs up on the rescue dog.

I also have a poodle, not a standard size & not the toy size she's the one in the middle about 12 - 15 lbs. I really can't say enough about our poodle and later I'm going to seriously consider a standard size poodle.

I never wanted a poodle but got her because my wife wanted one, so we got a poodle:) What can I say? She's smart as a whip, and has a great personality & temperment. My girls rough house with her, pull her tail, ect.. and never a single problem. She was also easy to train.

I would be carfull with a White poodle. Our's is white and she's deaf which is something we didn't know until about a month after we got her. The vet told me it's pretty common in White dogs in general like Boxers & Poodles.

Congrats on the new dog!!

Jerry

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

We have a Cocker/Poodle mix from the pound and she needed a lot of help from our vet to get her health back. What a great little friend she is too! Smart as a tack, can learn a new trick quicker than any dog I was ever owned by. I'll look at the standard too and see if I can locate another buddy that might like quail as much as I do. Hap

8. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, we arrived yesterday in our socializing program with Delta, the rescued poodle. She is a lot smarter than she would let on and very reserved... she took a running leap on our bed with me , my wife, and daughter to be part of the family. She thought that was fun and welcomed all of the attention. I think she decided to stick around. Food is a great reinforcer and she comes and gets me up in the morning to get her cottage cheese and kibble... she really likes it and it helps to put weight back on her. Yes, she is training me! Now she is willing to play with the Springer Field Trail Spaniel and is having fun and playing -- at five years old she didn't know how to do this. We figure about a year program to get her to be a "real" dog -- each day is a new adventure. There have got to be a lot of dogs out there that need a second chance... help them out. Fred

9. porky

porky TS Member

Pat, Thanks for your info.

10. pdq

pdq Member

Halfmile;

In your post you advised people to avoid brown poodles due to being hyperactive, etc. We adopted one at age 4 thru Poodle Rescue & it is the finest temperment dog we've owned. He's now 13 and a half, and very much part of the family.

I'll support what others have said -- find a Ruscue group for whatever dog strikes your fancy and you can get an excellent pet.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.